Battery Life

Puggz

While up in Quebec earlier this week my starter wouldn't engage when it was below -20. I've never had an issue before but this is the 5th winter for this sled/battery (ZR6000) and has 6500km on it.  The battery is the factory/dealer installed  Yuasa AGM and i've always been impressed with the power that it puts out. Its always kept fully charged.

Is there a way to test it with a load tester? Just want to know if its the battery or starter.

5 mins on the starter with a heat gun fixed the issue every time and when its warm, its easy to pull start it.

Thoughts?

P

Sounds like starter, not battery.

You can load test it. You can also use a clamp on DC ammeter to see what the starter draw is. I wish my cat starter would work in any temperature but mine isn’t an electrical issue, it’s mechanical. Electrical connection(s) would be something else to check, I use dielectric grease on the cleaned connectors, It helps. A decent multimeter will let you check resistance and continuity too but make sure it does DC, specially the clamp on ammeter part. That’s a decent meter that will last me forever but you can buy them for less or borrow one! 

25B20CF0-032E-468C-8C74-3513A1DFC187.jpeg

I recall the starters were problematic on the Cats - my old sled had one, it did the same thing, thought it was a battery and just went and bought a new one, but nope, it was the starter.

They are a PITA to get too and work on, so I never replaced it, pulling the sled over was not an issue for me, having a starter that worked was just a bonus, that I never got to enjoy.

• 11 months later...

Reviving an old thread

Canadian Tire has digital battery testers on sale this week for $47.00.    I was suspicious of my battery this summer despite occasionally putting a smart trickle charger on it monthly.   The tester shows battery SOH State of Health at 73%, definitely won't be any good for very cold days.  Got three riding seasons and 15,000+kms out of it

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-digital-battery-tester-analyzer-12v-0113020p.html?loc=plp

IMG_3176.thumb.jpeg.4fa67a5ca89a39749e3fa01b30815441.jpeg

• Thanks 1

sideways photo at no extra charge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Still on sale this week. It was on last week as well.

42 minutes ago, stoney said:

Do you carry a booster pack, if so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. 
Keeping battery on a tender when not use is key to longevity. 

Totally agree. Most sleds now have clocks or some type of constant electrical draw all. Leaving the sled in the trailer in the off season and not on a tender or at least charging it on a regular basis is not a long life scenario for the battery. I used to take one cable off the battery but the last few sleds required  too many pieces removed to even get to the battery. One of the guys in our group has a mini battery pack that he carries along.

• Like 1

Yes, removing the battery on a AC ZR is a PITA!.  I've installed one of these and tucked the end up under the seat/tunnel bag. Makes it real easy to connect a charger during dead times (like now!) and the summer w/o removing the battery.  Its called X-Connect.

Pigtail.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Puggz said:

Yes, removing the battery on a AC ZR is a PITA!.  I've installed one of these and tucked the end up under the seat/tunnel bag. Makes it real easy to connect a charger during dead times (like now!) and the summer w/o removing the battery.  Its called X-Connect.

Pigtail.jpg

Did they change the battery location?

on my old 2013 kitty it was under seat at the rear that needed one torx bolt removed and pull up on retaining clip. 

16 hours ago, stoney said:

Do you carry a booster pack, if so I wouldn’t worry too much about it. 
Keeping battery on a tender when not use is key to longevity. 

Yes I do, its still brand new never been touched by human hands.....lol

You're probably right, but if its down to 73% when its 6C outside, it will only be worse in colder temps.

I hook this battery up to an Optimate 3+ smart charger regularly off season, that I also use on my motorcycle in the winter.   I'm thinking the physical abuse and vibration a sled battery sees shortens their lifespan faster.

This is the first time I removed the battery from the sled as I have a SAE pigtail permanently installed (mostly for heated gear that I don't use), and I clean the contacts yearly coating them with dielectric grease.     I'm glad I pulled the battery as the lower casing shows sever fretting damage from the metal bracket that keeps it in place.  There must be a small amount of free movement of the battery in situ causing the damage.   I would hate to see the casing crack this winter and spill acid all over.

New battery is on order and I will sleep better knowing my wallet is once again lighter......lol

thanks

brian

This will be hard to believe but I have a 2000 Suzuki Quadmaster ATV that I have owned from new. It still has the original battery from new that continues to start the machine without issue. It was never charged while sitting until a few years ago. I will throw the charger on it if it sits for a few months just as a precautionary measure. Given its age it has no draw on it while sitting which I’m certain helps. As a test wen’t out to the garage and started it and fired right up. It hasn’t been started since November and not charged. If it was -20C maybe result would be different. The battery has Suzuki stamped on the side, not sure who made it for them but has outlasted its expected life many times over….. 
on the flip side we have a newer Cat ATV and after 2 years the battery was toast and had to be replaced. It also has draw on it mostly from a clock but after about 6 to 8 weeks if not used will need to be charged before it can start the ATV. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 9:39 AM, stoney said:

Did they change the battery location?

on my old 2013 kitty it was under seat at the rear that needed one torx bolt removed and pull up on retaining clip. 

Cats still have the battery under the seat. 6 fasteners (including battery lugs) and a clip to remove it. 

6 hours ago, Puggz said:

Cats still have the battery under the seat. 6 fasteners (including battery lugs) and a clip to remove it. 

I guess if you count the bracket that holds the battery and the terminal lugs, there are a few more fasteners - I was just referring to getting to it for a boost or charger connection, but that pigtail you shared for sure is the best scenario to install for battery tender connection!