OFSC Issues Urgent Appeal To Save Our Trails - Jan 24/22

LuvMyViper

OFSC Issues Urgent Appeal To Save Our Trails

Snowmobile Trails, A Unique Winter Asset Benefitting All Ontarians

(Barrie, ON – January 24, 2022): For more than 50 years, community-minded landowners have partnered with volunteers in local snowmobile clubs to provide their area with recreational snowmobile trails. This rural tradition has created many economic, recreational, social, and health benefits to enhance the winter well-being of hometowns and their residents across the province.

With over 50% of trails now available for recreational riding, the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) is celebrating these unique and enduring relationships, and the incredible trail network of 30,000 kilometres of OFSC Prescribed Trails we’ve built together, about 60% of which are located on private property. Today, the OFSC is issuing a special call to action: Let’s work together to Save Our Trails.

The OFSC Save Our Trails campaign reminds everyone how valuable OFSC trails are to snowmobilers, to landowners, and to all Ontarians, while recognizing that Illegal off-trail riding is becoming a challenge that requires our united action. Trespassing on private land is not only harmful to longstanding landowner relationships. It also causes serious land access issues for member snowmobile clubs in many areas, while threatening the winter livelihoods of many rural and northern communities. Save Our Trails asks Ontario snowmobilers to take personal and collective action against trespass by:

• Always staying on the designated OFSC trail and never riding a closed trail.
  • Respecting landowner rights and property.
  • Refusing to ride with friends who trespass.
  • Reminding new participants why it’s important to stay on the trail.
  • Spreading the message across personal social media outlets.
  • Supporting OFSC advocacy for stronger anti-trespass enforcement and legislation.
  •  

“Trespassing on private property and entering prohibited areas must become as unacceptable socially as it is legally.” stated Ryan Eickmeier, OFSC CEO. “Land use permission is a privilege, not a right, and it must be respected by every snowmobiler.”

Click here to read the rest of the article

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

While it's much appreciated,  it's useless without enforcement...

True, but it needs to come from within too.

We can't expect Police and/or people with enforcement power to be everywhere at once - catching people riding off trail etc.

• Like 4

You mean just asking all to follow the rules and insert pretty please just don’t work these days. 

There definitely needs to be some hard lines drawn and enforced to see any changes. 

I wonder if the OFSC encourages a softer approach so not to discourage new ridership, I know they don’t enforce things, but I’d assume their voices are heard at that level that encourages change. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

True, but it needs to come from within too.

We can't expect Police and/or people with enforcement power to be everywhere at once - catching people riding off trail etc.

100 percent, but this has limitations on reach or hard heads - that’s where harder enforcement comes in to curve by catching those in the act and others hearing about those harder lines now being drawn. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

It is not completely useless. Don't be so negative.

The positive is the OFSC is asking for passive enforcement from educated riders.

Don' ride with people who are freeloaders, trespassers and can brappers. 

Follow the rules and educate where possible.

Yes, we need more enforcement not doubt.

But, there is no one step to a fix all.

At least this is a much called for and needed step. 

I think it is a good campaign and money possibly well spent towards helping keep the system alive.

• Like 3

The campaign needs to be followed up with firm enforcement…. not just to get the bad apples reduced but to help put some sense of belonging back into those that volunteer and are deflated. 

• Like 3

Speaking only from my own observations, the enforcement I have seen via the OPP has really been more focused on licence, val tags, ownership and insurance checks, which to me, really, doesn't do much of anything to deter reckless or careless riding - which is what is leading to the demise of trails.

Landowners aren't closing trails because a guy didn't update his val tag, or doesn't have a drivers licence, or didn't purchase a pass either.

Trails are being closed because of idiotic driving habits/actions.

I have seen the odd radar out there- pretty much only on the Seguin, but aside from that, I haven't seen anything in the way of enforcement which would do a single thing to "save our trails". To that end, I also don't want to see too much of that, because if I had to cruise at around at 50km/hr or less all day, it would not be enjoyable and I would probably just ride the lake anyway to have more fun, without the limitations.

It's pretty much an impossible balancing act

Just my own 2 cents.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Speaking only from my own observations, the enforcement I have seen via the OPP has really been more focused on licence, val tags, ownership and insurance checks, which to me, really, doesn't do much of anything to deter reckless or careless riding - which is what is leading to the demise of trails.

Landowners aren't closing trails because a guy didn't update his val tag, or doesn't have a drivers licence, or didn't purchase a pass either.

I have seen the odd radar out there- pretty much only on the Seguin, but aside from that, I haven't seen anything in the way of enforcement which would do a single thing to "save our trails". To that end, I also don't want to see too much of that, because if I had to cruise at around at 50km/hr or less all day, it would not be enjoyable and I would probably just ride the lake anyway to have more fun, without the limitations.

Just my own 2 cents.

I have witnessed this on more occasions that should never happen - OPP not even looking at the trail pass, I am the one bringing it to their attention as the most important item based on trail usage and how the system works.

24 minutes ago, stoney said:

I have witnessed this on more occasions that should never happen - OPP not even looking at the trail pass, I am the one bringing it to their attention as the most important item based on trail usage and how the system works.

Yeah, but is it the biggest ticket/fine - because it would seem to me the focus is on assigning $ and a subject line to the ticket that supports ........

1 hour ago, Spiderman said:

Just my own 2 cents.

48 minutes ago, stoney said:

22 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

Yeah, but is it the biggest ticket/fine - because it would seem to me the focus is on assigning $ and a subject line to the ticket that supports ........

Focused on money making. Agreed. 

2 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Perhaps we can do more ourselves.  A simple shutout "Hey you know better, this costs us all" reminder can go a long ways.

Shouldn't the OFSC BODY  be calling  or informing THE OPP there not doing there job properly by FINEING with no permits.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Perhaps we can do more ourselves.  A simple shutout "Hey you know better, this costs us all" reminder can go a long ways.

Yes, for sure and has been noted on a few occasions on other recent threads.

However, as Nutter brought up, sometimes this message is not received very well or respectfully by the group not following the rules and there is now the possibility of a confrontation  that most rather avoid or perhaps not equipped to deal with.

The simple fact is there is no fear or penalty big enough right now to stop it - it is a joke what could happen to those not following.

• You have a can - sled is towed & hefty fine is issued
  • You have no trail pass - sled is towed & hefty fine is issued
  • You trespass - this one is likely a harder one to deal with, but a much bigger fine would go a long way
  •  
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, stoney said:

You mean just asking all to follow the rules and insert pretty please just don’t work these days. 

There definitely needs to be some hard lines drawn and enforced to see any changes. 

I wonder if the OFSC encourages a softer approach so not to discourage new ridership, I know they don’t enforce things, but I’d assume their voices are heard at that level that encourages change. 

1 minute ago, RIVERMAN said:

Shouldn't the OFSC BODY  be calling  or informing THE OPP there not doing there job properly by FINEING with no permits.

I am wondering how hard this is being pushed by the OFSC as well.....

1 minute ago, stoney said:

However, as Nutter brought up, sometimes this message is not received very well or respectfully by the group not following the rules and there is now the possibility of a confrontation  that most rather avoid or perhaps not equipped to deal with.

The simple fact is there is no fear or penalty big enough right now to stop it - it is a joke what could happen to those not following.

• You trespass - this one is likely a harder one to deal with, but a much bigger fine would go a long way
  •  

Well said @stoney

2 hours ago, lastzrt said:

It is not completely useless. Don't be so negative.

The positive is the OFSC is asking for passive enforcement from educated riders.

Don' ride with people who are freeloaders, trespassers and can brappers. 

Follow the rules and educate where possible.

Yes, we need more enforcement not doubt.

But, there is no one step to a fix all.

At least this is a much called for and needed step. 

I think it is a good campaign and money possibly well spent towards helping keep the system alive.

Not being negative,  just speaking the truth. Make all the laws and rules you wish. We need enforcement and tougher penalties.  The campaign is great, but it's not enough and only part of the pie...

27 minutes ago, stoney said:

•  

You trespass=fine/forfeit trail pass for @ least one year!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Muskoka1 said:

You trespass=fine/forfeit trail pass for @ least one year!

The thing with trespass is this falls into two categories that should be dealt with differently (I think).

• There is riding on a trail that is listed as closed - sometimes trail closes during a trip, etc...., or technical glitch on the system, etc....
  • Than there is knowingly riding off trail that is on private land i.e. farm field with crop or land owner that does not want sleds on that portion of land, etc....

• Thanks 1

You almost have to get each club's exec's to get close to local OPP detachment commander to direct snowmo. teams to trouble spots. We have a good relationship with Bracebridge detachment and they have our backs when we need them!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stoney said:

•  

Oh I know, my point is instead of hearing it from maybe 1 person, if say 10 were to kindly inform the perpetrators, maybe a few might listen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stoney said:

I am wondering how hard this is being pushed by the OFSC as well.....

It's been pushed extremely hard since the inception of Bill 101 back in the late 90's early 00's making the permit an instrument of the province (MTO), making trail and MSVA related offences provincial offences.  We have to be realistic in our expectations of enforcement for a basically 30,000+km private pay per use trail system used by approx  80 to100,000 permit buyers. Ontario currently has a population of 15 million people, it's pretty likely that 14,800,000 give or take don't even know snowmobile trails exist, let alone have an enforcement issue, or give a rats ass about it. Sad but that's what we truly are dealing with, police have much much bigger enforcement issue to deal with in the grand scheme of things. 

As said before, sledding is in desperate need of a culture change, we need the 95% of the 80 to 100,000 permit buyers to help set that culture change. Which is tough when your dealing with outright disrespectful self entitled people that only care about themselves. Like I said the other day, everyone got a trophy and here we are .........

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Our District- 7 is going to try with a twist on Trail Patrol this season and for seasons to come with Vest Labelled " Trail Ambassador" and District 7 on them, All members clubs will have riders wearing the vests with the idea being that if there is a perception of a Presence on the trail it may reduce the issues that are harming our sport. Is it the answer to all the problems, No but I feel it is a start, We have developed guidelines based on the OFSC Trail Patrol program and modified it a bit, ie carrying maps and information but also to try and educate riders while we are out there ourselves on the trails 

Will be interesting to see the response we get as more trails start to open.

As many other have said above something needs to be done and quickly to save what has been created and to sustain our sport.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3