Have had Enough

old sledhead

Old sledhead, I appreciate all you do for snowmobiling because I know what it’s like, being involved myself since high school, ( I too have many roles in our club) and my kids have been done high school for a few years themselves.

For the most part it’s been fun working with family and friends, it’s why we do it but the last number of years it is definitely getting worse with the BS, ignorance and entitlement. Every year I say this is the last one, then we start over again.

Family here started a lot of the trail building or improvements of existing bush trails in our area, and as they still volunteer and ride, I stuck with it, but my time doing it will have to come to an end sooner than later, as it comes with toll physically, mentally and financially.

This is too much to ask of a “volunteer “

Good luck in whatever you choose to do. Please keep us updated.

• Like 1

I've been reading wayy to many reports like this, this season.  Trying to analyze why I believe its a combination of things. In the long run, the sport needs a full re-set. This means extensive trail closures for a season or 2 to help educate and get rid of the A$$ Hats.

• COVID-No one traveling to their winter destinations has made for record power sports sales. Remember March 2021 snowcheck was so successful there wasn't anything left for the dealer's inventory?  I wonder what the % of these sales were new to snowmobiling? Likely a very high %
  • No snow - after dropping $20k and having no where to use it would leave to frustration.  On FB there are countless posts on area xx trail conditions. Why? Do they not know that you need to have a trail pass and be able to read the ,OFSC map?
  • Entitled generation - with the age group of the entitled generation now at a point where they are old enough and have the $$ to buy a sled, I imagine that 90% of the problems are from 10% of the riders. 
  • Long tracks - i was in PQ between christmas and new years and OMG, the amount of young people on new machines was astounding. Lots of 144s all the way to full out mountain sleds. This just encourages off trail use and the Sled manufactures market towards it. 

The way parents throw money at there kids these days, we wonder why they all feel entitled.  They don't have to work for anything, just go and have fun on daddy's dime. If all the trails close, they'll just sell their sleds and find something else to do.  They really do not give a F***. They have never experienced a single consequence in their entire life.

Unfortunately this is our world now, no one cares about anyone else or anyone else's property.  And its going to get worse before it gets better.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Ahhh!!!! A retirement resort!!! Lol 😂 

U got that right! Looks like one of the resorts up here!

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, old sledhead said:

Thank for all the kind words and support.

But if iam not mistaken the ofsc has in the past employed a person to lobby the goverment . Well if we don't soon see inforcment bigger fines and snowmobile impoundment like Quebec,our sport is doomed .

No consequences for bad behavior!!

Absolutely needed.  Significant penalties and enforcement is the only way.

Unfortunately with all the new snowmobilers this year, this problem could be worse before it ever gets better.  :(

Un-called for and completely disrespectful, no other way to sugar coat it.

Don't let other peoples piss poor actions drive you away from something you love though.

2 hours ago, Puggz said:

I've been reading wayy to many reports like this, this season.  Trying to analyze why I believe its a combination of things. In the long run, the sport needs a full re-set. This means extensive trail closures for a season or 2 to help educate and get rid of the A$$ Hats.

• COVID-No one traveling to their winter destinations has made for record power sports sales. Remember March 2021 snowcheck was so successful there wasn't anything left for the dealer's inventory?  I wonder what the % of these sales were new to snowmobiling? Likely a very high %
  • No snow - after dropping $20k and having no where to use it would leave to frustration.  On FB there are countless posts on area xx trail conditions. Why? Do they not know that you need to have a trail pass and be able to read the ,OFSC map?
  • Entitled generation - with the age group of the entitled generation now at a point where they are old enough and have the $$ to buy a sled, I imagine that 90% of the problems are from 10% of the riders. 
  • Long tracks - i was in PQ between christmas and new years and OMG, the amount of young people on new machines was astounding. Lots of 144s all the way to full out mountain sleds. This just encourages off trail use and the Sled manufactures market towards it. 

The way parents throw money at there kids these days, we wonder why they all feel entitled.  They don't have to work for anything, just go and have fun on daddy's dime. If all the trails close, they'll just sell their sleds and find something else to do.  They really do not give a F***. They have never experienced a single consequence in their entire life.

Unfortunately this is our world now, no one cares about anyone else or anyone else's property.  And its going to get worse before it gets better.

While I agree with much of what you have said, I would worry about closing the trails for a season or two. We have trails on a lot of privately owned land. What reason do we give our landowners for closing down that doesn't throw a negative light on their allowing trails? 

Is there a chance that the trespassing issue might get worse in some areas?

If we shut down for a year or more could a past closure make saying no much easier for the land owners when we go to get a new MOU signed?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

While I agree with much of what you have said, I would worry about closing the trails for a season or two. We have trails on a lot of privately owned land. What reason do we give our landowners for closing down that doesn't throw a negative light on their allowing trails? 

Is there a chance that the trespassing issue might get worse in some areas?

If we shut down for a year or more could a past closure make saying no much easier for the land owners when we go to get a new MOU signed?

Yes, I get that. There's no simple answer for what's happening and what is definitely going to happen in the future.  We've made it look ery desirable to everyone (social media) and now everyone with a few bucks and no plan for the winter buys a sled.  We know the problem demographic (% wise), we need a plan to get them to lose interest.  If anyone has a better idea, let me know, If we want to keep it, we have to fight for it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Puggz said:

Pretty jaded view of our youth. Both my daughter and her bf have goals and work very hard towards those goals. They also have respect for private property.  Not all kids are rotten, as a matter of fact, most are pretty good. The bad ones get all the attention.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I certainly understand what you are going through, don't blame you one bit if you do pack it in.  For those of you that think it is a few bad apples, you need to stuff your ass in a groomer for a day, it is not a few, its a ton. When your going 8mph and everyone is doing 80 plus, you get to see allot, its not a couple outside the stakes, it's a ton, do I have a number, no, it's just not a few. The one that got me the most was non permitted sleds, that coupled with the lack of snow in my area, it just became a waste of time that drove me nuts and was time away from my family. This sport has had this problem with the ridership that has been unraveling at the seams, the more it unravels, the faster it goes. There was a deal made with the devil years ago (MTO) . I forget the bill and the particulars, but it was not favorable for the sport, it has been rearing it's ugly head for years, and now it's picking up speed.

With a bigger ridership, the small problems become  much larger, that is where it is today, I don't see a turning of the tides, a resurrection or anything of the sort, it is a self entitled me world and this problem is so much larger then almost anybody will admit. Saying it's just a few is the biggest understatement I have heard about this situation.

Sorry for what you are going though. I am getting more involved in a local club and i am hearing the same stories. Makes me think I should just back away but I will not just yet.

I think you should have told the trespassers that this trail is now closed because of them.  If you ever want it open again "come back and find me and apologize to me and to the club for what you did".  I would not reroute the trail, just end it there for the season. Maybe more broken trail links will get the message out. I know this will hurt everyone but this is how our society works. The few set the tone for the majority law biding citizens. 

Major increases in patrolling and higher fines and no warnings need to be issued.

Again, Sorry for all the issues and problems you are going through. Many of us do appreciate what you have done for the sport.

Jerry

11 hours ago, zoso said:

Pretty jaded view of our youth. Both my daughter and her bf have goals and work very hard towards those goals. They also have respect for private property.  Not all kids are rotten, as a matter of fact, most are pretty good. The bad ones get all the attention.

Yes, I have 3 from 30 to 34, all are very successful and considerate.  Has a lot to do with their upbringing. 

I'll give you a bit of an example - I own and track a new Porsche GT4 ($150k out the door). I've joined track sessions a the old Mosport track in bowmanville and there's typically 5 or more 20 somethings that are ripping around the track in $350k cars that they got for a grad present.  When I asked one of them if how they are going to perform the break in (they picked it up at the dealer a few days before) the answer was why? its just a car.

My point is there's a significant demographic of young people just like this and just because you don't see it where you live, doesn't mean it doesn't exist in huge numbers. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Seems a bunch in here is are jaded.

I guess further to my point before - if you're seriously that angry and pissed off about it - then quit.

Life is too short to spend it being pissed off and angry.

You really have one of two choices

A. Stay in - do what you can and what you feel is right for the activity ( understanding you're efforts may fall on deaf ears - but you SHOULD be able to lay your head down at night comfortably knowing you made an honest effort ), enjoy the great days you do get to have and learn to be okay with it - while it's still there to enjoy......

or 

B. Quit - sell your stuff - quit - and have nothing.

I know what it is for me 

My sled has come out of the garage less than 10 times in the last 5 years - but it's still there - it's ready to ride, and it will always be there.

I don't envision a day where I don't have a sled - even if it's at a point where all I can do is grab a hand full of throttle and go down the lake - that never gets old for me - it's like I am 12 again every time I can do that.

Good luck on your decision - but choose wisely and in a clear frame of mind.

• Like 5

I have quit as well oldsledhead. I kept my sled for seven years after my last ride and put a total of one km on it in all that time. If the doctors can get me back to being comfortable and without pain, I know I can get back into it as easily as I sold out. Right now I am physically useless to the club but I can still think ok. Unfortunately, they don’t require those services right now. 
 Do what you think you need to do. Never say never. Life changes so fast that turnaround might just be a few days away. 

• Like 3

On 1/25/2022 at 8:53 AM, Spiderman said:

Seems a bunch in here is are jaded.

I guess further to my point before - if you're seriously that angry and pissed off about it - then quit.

Life is too short to spend it being pissed off and angry.

You really have one of two choices

A. Stay in - do what you can and what you feel is right for the activity ( understanding you're efforts may fall on deaf ears - but you SHOULD be able to lay your head down at night comfortably knowing you made an honest effort ), enjoy the great days you do get to have and learn to be okay with it - while it's still there to enjoy......

or 

B. Quit - sell your stuff - quit - and have nothing.

I know what it is for me 

My sled has come out of the garage less than 10 times in the last 5 years - but it's still there - it's ready to ride, and it will always be there.

I don't envision a day where I don't have a sled - even if it's at a point where all I can do is grab a hand full of throttle and go down the lake - that never gets old for me - it's like I am 12 again every time I can do that.

Good luck on your decision - but choose wisely and in a clear frame of mind.

So true the feelings when you get on the sled and crack the throttle.

My best friends wife was yelling at him and I last year “Don’t you 2 idiots know your both over 50” as we raced our sleds around their farm as we have done together for the last 40 years and every time one of us gets a new sled.  

• Like 3

I just put 32 miles on going up and down the lake and in a field with my newly licensed 12 year old son.

What a way to spend a PA day.

Complete total fun - nothing like it to be honest.

• Like 13

That is Priceless Spider Man! Memmories for you and your son!

• Like 1

I was out twice this week in SW Ontario and our new challenge is to never sled beyond the stakes, or you owe lunch for the whole group. Actually had a lot of fun with this new challenge. First day out I missed a bend coming too fast over a rise. I could have fought it and made the bend, but took the hit for the team. I have never seen so few tracks leaving the trails as these last two days. It was good to see the respect for our trails.

• Like 6

Ok after a 70 mile ride yesterday on fantastic trails for the little snow we have and my wife being pissed her new sled she ordered last March won't be in till late March this year.

I again had a not so pleasant Sunday.  Again walking my 100 acres  with my 78 year old mother who by the way loves to see snomobiers from her house the trail runs less than 150 yards from it.

First 4 sleds slow down all permits. Next 2 no permits speed off , next 6 all had after market  exhaust  5 had no permits and if that's not enough we myself and again my 78 year old mother had to step off a 20 ft wide trail to avoid being hit. 

Also I was wearing  hyviss jacket along with trail patrol vest.

Again more than 5o% of sleds were non compliant. 

I understand police can't me every where but we need to see inforcement. 

The B.s I see from the ofsc its up to us don't ride with oeople who trespassing ride off trail have aftermarket exhaust is pure b.s the 6 a holes that were riding today did not care .

ENFORCEMENT!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, old sledhead said:

Ok after a 70 mile ride yesterday on fantastic trails for the little snow we have and my wife being pissed her new sled she ordered last March won't be in till late March this year.

I again had a not so pleasant Sunday.  Again walking my 100 acres  with my 78 year old mother who by the way loves to see snomobiers from her house the trail runs less than 150 yards from it.

First 4 sleds slow down all permits. Next 2 no permits speed off , next 6 all had after market  exhaust  5 had no permits and if that's not enough we myself and again my 78 year old mother had to step off a 20 ft wide trail to avoid being hit. 

The B.s I see from the ofsc its up to us don't ride with oeople who trespassing ride off trail have aftermarket exhaust is pure b.s the 6 a holes that were riding today did not care .

ENFORCEMENT!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with enforcement or grabbing the keys from offers and throwing them into the bush.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, old sledhead said:

ENFORCEMENT!!!!!!!!!!

We need stronger laws like Quebec does with much stiffer penalties than currently exist.

secondly, Trail Patrol needs some real authority like Quebec, no fooling around there.

Thirdly, move to automatic ticket against owner of snowmobile which eliminates court appearances, witnesses, etc. and Trail Patrol can issue Report to OPP for processing like Quebec does.

OFSC has never in my experience secured any useful changes to the MSVA by the provincial government.

Now is the time before the system and Volunteers collapse.

• Like 1

I bought an Arctic Cat ZRT 600 for my youngest many years ago. It looked like a good sled until I looked at the muffler. It was a loud can and those ZRT sleds are loud enough stock. I told the seller I would buy it if he came up with the stock muffler. He shirked for a minute and then I said that I would go home without the sled unless he came up with the stock exhaust. We did go home with the sled. 
Eventually the sled went to my son-in- law and he put a Modfather sticker on it. I guess it must go faster that way. We got stopped by the OPP in Bracebridge and they had the hood open wanting to know what was modified. It was the second quietest sled in the group. A very quick discussion by me and we were on our way. 

So frustrating. I feel like Walter Sobchak in the Big Lebowski screaming "Am I the only one around here who cares about the rules" ...Today I help a local club brush a trail in hopes to get it open sooner than later due to City of Kawartha Lakes stalling on giving approval (which was asked many months ago.) Anyway, seen many riders most with permits and several without riding by as we worked on this closed trail and none offering help. One almost did not want to stop until the tree we were cutting fell on the ground and he had to stop. Nothing we can do but remind them of the closed trail and they need a permit. Riders know we are powerless. Lawlessness is soon upon us on the trails and more trails will close.

Jerry

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

So frustrating. I feel like Walter Sobchak in the Big Lebowski screaming "Am I the only one around here who cares about the rules" ...Today I help a local club brush a trail in hopes to get it open sooner than later due to City of Kawartha Lakes stalling on giving approval (which was asked many months ago.) Anyway, seen many riders most with permits and several without riding by as we worked on this closed trail and none offering help. One almost did not want to stop until the tree we were cutting fell on the ground and he had to stop. Nothing we can do but remind them of the closed trail and they need a permit. Riders know we are powerless. Lawlessness is soon upon us on the trails and more trails will close.

Jerry

Thank you for helping the club out. I wonder if the municipality would take that long if it was a bicycle club asking for approval. 

10 hours ago, grover_yyz said:

Jerry

Had this scenario play out before. Always take my sweet time moving the trees when they are waiting impatiently. When I tell them it will go much quicker with help, they always seem to reply that they would help, but this is my good riding suit.

2 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Thank you for helping the club out. I wonder if the municipality would take that long if it was a bicycle club asking for approval. 

The bike club will ask to use it now after it’s been cleared. :poke2:

• Like 1