Have had Enough

old sledhead

I have had with this sport after yesterday and today has finished me. Just so you guys know I have been invested  in this sport 29 years .grooming , club landowner rep, groomer coordinator, s.c s.a v.p. district v.p ,driver trainer and trail patrol.  

But after working 60 hr  in four days ,I gave up 8 hours of my first day off to help train a new groomer operator and get trail prepared for opening. I was able to stop 12 sleds and informed them they were trespassing on closed trail all but four continued on and the four that turned around argued that the trail was open till we accessed the I.t.g.

If that was not bad enough today our groomer is out trying to open the top e102 that has run through my family's 100 acre property  for three generations.  While out on my own property for a walk I stopped several snowmobilers and informed them that they were riding closed trail and trespassing and are risking trails being closed. 

But when I am TOLD TO F### OFF and GET THE F### off the trail  we will do what we want !!!

Iam at the point that I have waisted 30 years and at this point I am seriously considering closing down my property and selling my sleds. 

Oh and don't say call the cops the local department does nothing and does not care just like the o.f.s.c. 

• Sad 21

sorry this all happened to you at once. I dont blame you, when the entitled open their mouths. sad state of affairs. Ski

• Like 4

Parasitic wastes of skin.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, old sledhead said:

I have had with this sport after yesterday and today has finished me. Just so you guys know I have been invested  in this sport 29 years .grooming , club landowner rep, groomer coordinator, s.c s.a v.p. district v.p ,driver trainer and trail patrol.  

But after working 60 hr  in four days ,I gave up 8 hours of my first day off to help train a new groomer operator and get trail prepared for opening. I was able to stop 12 sleds and informed them they were trespassing on closed trail all but four continued on and the four that turned around argued that the trail was open till we accessed the I.t.g.

If that was not bad enough today our groomer is out trying to open the top e102 that has run through my family's 100 acre property  for three generations.  While out on my own property for a walk I stopped several snowmobilers and informed them that they were riding closed trail and trespassing and are risking trails being closed. 

But when I am TOLD TO F### OFF and GET THE F### off the trail  we will do what we want !!!

Iam at the point that I have waisted 30 years and at this point I am seriously considering closing down my property and selling my sleds. 

Oh and don't say call the cops the local department does nothing and does not care just like the o.f.s.c. 

First off,  let me say thanks to all your sacrifices for the sport. I totally understand the point you are at. It's people like yourself that has carried the sport along. Many are in your shoes, and if the entitled do not get their crap together,  this sport will not last. IMO, we are headed down a path with only one outcome, and that will be our sport disappearing forever. Unfortunately in today's world, imo we may be too far gone to steer the ship back around. Again,  thanks to all the volunteers,  landowners and good decent respectful riders out there. I think we will never get the enforcement and support we require,  and this will undoubtedly lead to the demise of sledding. 

• Like 12

As nutter and zoso pointed out recently on another thread, it is us that need to try harder to curve this by not riding with folks that are the route cause and I also think when you are talking about sledding with like minded people you run into, these are great points to bring to light or discuss because you never know if the stranger you talk with are part of the problem or perhaps their friends are that this message might be shared with ….and this can also be an affective tool, imo. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, old sledhead said:

I hear ya.

The entitled are ruining the sport for the rest of us.

• Like 3

I shared this post yesterday from Muskoka Snowtrails on a couple of FB sledding groups. For the most part, people “get it” and are onside - however - there were a few “laughing” emojis ….tell me what is so funny about this post?  I totally understand your position and thank you for all of your hard work for so many years , along with your permission to use your land. This is a sad situation caused by a small percentage of sledders. Unfortunately, that small percentage make it impossible for so many. I really wish we could bring back the Trail Wardens. More policing on the  trails is needed if we are ever going to get past this. 

here is the post from yesterday - you are not alone 😒

Today was one of those days.  Both Steve Elliot (President) and myself Steve Walter (VP) spent the day staking lakes and installing signage.  The day started out great and then quickly went for a crap. 

To 99% of our ridership that follow the rules, thank you for support.   To the 1% out there that believe the rules don't apply to you, we are done.    Without our board of directors, this club doesn't exist....your trail system doesn't exist...your landowners don't exist.   We had one board member resign this past week because it has become a lost cause and they had enough.   If the rest of us leave the board, snowmobiling in Muskoka Lakes will cease to exist. 

If you have a modified exhaust/can on your sled, go ride Crown land.  If you see a hydro line, it is private land in this area, not Crown...anywhere.   

To get to the point, today a land owner is at the end of their rope.  We are very close to our entire trail system from Glen Orchard to Cranberry Marsh closing because some entitled POS' think the rules don't apply to them.  If we lose this section of trail we have zero alternative's and our club could ultimately fold. 

If anyone has any information as to those individuals riding off trail on the hydro lines West of Glen Orchard, please reach out by private message or contact the OPP non emergency line. 

To those riding the closed trail tonight in Glen Orchard with your modified exhaust and then ripping down Butterfly Rd, the residents are done and it will not be tolerated again this year.   

We are sorry it has come to this, but organized snowmobiling is hanging on by a thread in this area.  All we can ask is our ridership to help us by calling out the offenders and contacting the OPP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thank you old sledhead for everything you have done for organized snowmobiling. I’m very sorry to hear that you were treated this way.  I hope you will continue to volunteer your services, but I completely understand if you decide to throw in the towel. 

• Like 6

I get more frustrated every year. I’m so sorry to hear of a valuable member and landowner like yourself throwing in the towel. I have also seen what you’ve seen as a landowner w trails on property. The future does not look bright. 

• Like 1

Thank for all the kind words and support.

But if iam not mistaken the ofsc has in the past employed a person to lobby the goverment . Well if we don't soon see inforcment bigger fines and snowmobile impoundment like Quebec,our sport is doomed .

No consequences for bad behavior!!

• Like 10

2 hours ago, old sledhead said:

I feel bad for you in that your years of dedication and help to the sport have now culminated in a feeling of wasted time. However you have to know, thousands upon thousands of us really do appreciate it. Sadly what was the few has now become the many. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Old Sledhead for all you do!!!

We are in a similar situation here. Getting very frustrated. Our trails are closed and we have been packing and filling in holes(lots of exposed Canadian Shield) trying to establish a base. Volunteers doing trail work today saw over 30 sleds in a 2 hour period. Yesterday, another volunteer drove down the 507 to Buckhorn and counted another 30+ sleds on closed trails running beside the highway in a 20 minute drive. Open trails within a 30 minute drive either side of us!! SMH!

The OPP were in the Bobcaygeon and Buckhorn area yesterday issuing warnings(third party info but have pics that they were there)

The OPP needs to issue tickets, not warnings. Enough is enough!

The OFSC needs to push for zero tolerance enforcement from the OPP. The situation now is not sustainable.

I don't want to volunteer hundreds of hours and spend $1000 in fuel every year to have our/my trails be garbage all season because we can't get a good base due to people tearing it up riding on closed trails.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, yamadan700 said:

Thank you Old Sledhead for all you do!!!

We are in a similar situation here. Getting very frustrated. Our trails are closed and we have been packing and filling in holes(lots of exposed Canadian Shield) trying to establish a base. Volunteers doing trail work today saw over 30 sleds in a 2 hour period. Yesterday, another volunteer drove down the 507 to Buckhorn and counted another 30+ sleds on closed trails running beside the highway in a 20 minute drive. Open trails within a 30 minute drive either side of us!! SMH!

The OPP were in the Bobcaygeon and Buckhorn area yesterday issuing warnings(third party info but have pics that they were there)

The OPP needs to issue tickets, not warnings. Enough is enough!

The OFSC needs to push for zero tolerance enforcement from the OPP. The situation now is not sustainable.

I don't want to volunteer hundreds of hours and spend $1000 in fuel every year to have our/my trails be garbage all season because we can't get a good base due to people tearing it up riding on closed trails.

Totally agree. I sit in my family room and watch riders on the closed trail that I volunteer to put in and am waiting for it to open so I can go riding. Very disheartening. If we don't get some real enforcement it will get worse.

The police do not want to lay Trespass charges because it means they have to prepare a lot of paperwork and show up in court. Their bosses don't want them wasting time in court for this type of infraction. We need the MVSA changed to add a "ride on closed trail" ticketed charge with an large automatic fine. That way the cops don't have to go to court unless the ticket is contested. Making it easier for them would hopefully mean more enforcement.

• Like 13

Maybe the OFSC could give landowners a nice winter jacket with OFSC landowner clearly written on it identifying the person wearing as a land owner?

I know many will still act like asses but maybe some of the trespasser would have a minute to think before a confrontation with landowner.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Maybe the OFSC could give landowners a nice winter jacket with OFSC landowner clearly written on it identifying the person wearing as a land owner?

I know many will still act like asses but maybe some of the trespasser would have a minute to think before a confrontation with landowner.

We lost a trail here when a punk pushed the 80+ year old landowner down in the snow on his own property!

• Like 2
  • Sad 12

48 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

We lost a trail here when a punk pushed the 80+ year old landowner down in the snow on his own property!

That is brutal.

It’s too bad a few volunteers couldn’t go deal with the punk.   I know a few who would volunteer specially for that project.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

That is brutal.

It’s too bad a few volunteers couldn’t go deal with the punk.   I know a few who would volunteer specially for that project.

We'd end up in Beaver Creek!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

That is brutal.

Yellowstone...

• Like 2

So, where's the dead end? 

Is our association doing all it can to save it's self? 

Or just watching Rome burn?

Seems to me this is more than a grooming service, although some feel that's it's only purpose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yamatario said:

Yellowstone...

Train station 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Totally agree. I sit in my family room and watch riders on the closed trail that I volunteer to put in and am waiting for it to open so I can go riding. Very disheartening. If we don't get some real enforcement it will get worse.

The police do not want to lay Trespass charges because it means they have to prepare a lot of paperwork and show up in court. Their bosses don't want them wasting time in court for this type of infraction. We need the MVSA changed to add a "ride on closed trail" ticketed charge with an large automatic fine. That way the cops don't have to go to court unless the ticket is contested. Making it easier for them would hopefully mean more enforcement.

Maybe we are going to have to do something like the truckers. 30,000 sleds protest at Queens Park or at O.P.P. 
G.H.Q to demand police support. We are certainly paying more than our fair share for what they call “police protection “. 

Let’s just be clear, It’s not just younger folks that’s pulling this shit. 

It’s also older sledders that are self entitled POS that think the law and policies don’t apply to them.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, old sledhead said:

Thank for all the kind words and support.

But if iam not mistaken the ofsc has in the past employed a person to lobby the goverment . Well if we don't soon see inforcment bigger fines and snowmobile impoundment like Quebec,our sport is doomed .

No consequences for bad behavior!!

When you run a billion dollar trail system with a shoestring budget and on the backs of volunteers dont be surprised when it goes to dust. 

Its time to step up to the big leagues, pay what the trails are actually worth, become a force within Ontario to advocate, build and protect our system. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, old sledhead said:

Sorry this happened to you & thanks for all you do! As others have stated we hope you don't throw in the towel but understand if you do. Too bad the OPP can't be bothered in your area so I guess it's up to the sledding public. Pictures of the offenders would go a long way if not for the OPP but to be put on social media & if the individuals are identified it could go a long way to curbing this behavior if there is public backlash. 

• Like 1