Are there any trails opened near London?

Little Duck

Hello All, went sledding with a buddy on his wife's sled last winter from Komoka and got the bug. I bought two sleds an a trailer and have yet to use them. We live in Byron (London) and I am hoping we can get some direction on where to ride this weekend with the shortest drive possible. I downloaded the go snowmobiling app so I am comfortable heading to unfamiliar trails. I just need some help with where to go that will give us parking for the truck with close proximity to approved trails. We are both experienced MX riders so we are good with more challenging trails if there are any. I just would prefer not to have to drive hours and hours to go for a rip.

Thank you

• Like 4

The closest trails open to you would be Orangeville. But I'm not even sure I would start there. I live in Shelburne and was kinda surprised the trails were showing open here today.  Drove past the B110 South of Shelburne Tuesday night and at the road crossings was looking pretty thin.   I have not been on any trails here so I dont know what its like on them, only what i saw the other day. Hope this helps.  

• Thanks 1

As the OFSC always says, check the ITG. I have been doing that 4 or 5 times a day lately, and things are slowly opening up(midday updates have been common). Unfortunately there hasn't been a lot of snow close to you this week, except for small areas near Lake Huron. Check the ITG tomorrow, as there may be ares open then, that aren't today. Unusual for the GTA to get more snow than London, but there are no trails in the GTA. The best chance for decent relatively close trails is likely east northeast of Toronto. The open trails in the Orangeville/Shelburne area are going to get used up really fast this weekend, as all open trails in southern Ontario are likely to. The trick is to go where there are the most open trails and the lowest population density. That's why i head east whenever they have open trails. 

Welcome to the forum, and organized snowmobiling. Your patience will be required as this season slowly kicks off.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Little Duck said:

Thanks Guys, What is the ITG?

It is the OFSC on line trail map.

https://ofsc.evtrails.com/#

1 hour ago, Little Duck said:

It is the Bible of Snowmobile Trail conditions in Ontario. Sorry to assume, but I didn't think that you could download the Go Snowmobiling app without immediately being introduced to the Interactive Trail Guide (ITG). It really is your friend! More trails opened this AM, but not in your area, unfortunately. My misunderstanding stems from my conviction than an 'app' is something you bring to a dinner party, and eat before the host presents the main course. Misplacing the last twenty years keeps getting me in trouble.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Little Duck said:

You can down load app for 3.99 or so for pro version.  It’s useful to show you, where you are at any given time. Money well spent especially if you are new to snowmobiling. Rather use it then itg. Also available with click of icon, providing you have cell or wifi access to a network. I usually leave it open while I am riding and can check it occasionally. If you ever come to an intersection that’s not marked can use app to figure out what way to go. That happens to me at least a few times a day when out riding. Seems clubs in southern Ontario aren’t marking all intersections like before. 
https://www.ofsc.on.ca/trail-maps/mobile-app/

• Like 1