Did someone lose a trailer today?

Johnny_5oh

A coworker of mine showed me a pic of a sled trailer on its side on the 401 around Milton today. It was on Facebook but I don’t have an account so no pictures. Hopefully the trailer was at least empty.

I saw that too, here’s the pic someone put on Fbook.

Looks like the tongue broke off under the trailer and was still hitched to the truck. Yikes.

FE1FE43D-E926-4B39-8AF3-7FA58DF3E840.jpeg

I have a similar Triton trailer. Last spring when I replaced the hubs and was looking underneath, I noticed corrosion around both bolts that attach the tongue to the trailer and made a note to look at pulling them out this spring, and cleaning the area. The bolt inspection has moved to the top of my trailer maintenance list, since my trailer is a 2004.

That would be bad if there was $35G in new machines in there eh? :o

$35g usd or $50g cdn

8 hours ago, Re:Leaf said:

$35g usd or $50g cdn

Have had no issues with the solid tandem enclosed trailer I bought from you Re:Leaf.  Hauled my two, priceless to me, sleds to KL to start our trip up north.  In Cochrane now. Lot’s of trailers arrived safe here last night.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Toyman said:

Have had no issues with the solid tandem enclosed trailer I bought from you Re:Leaf.  Hauled my two, priceless to me, sleds to KL to start our trip up north.  In Cochrane now. Lot’s of trailers arrived safe here last night.

If you are on road allot that calcium chloride they use that melts ice and snow down to minus 35, is hard on metal on vehicles and trailers. Eats faster’s right out. Had my trailer guy inspect mine and all was well. About 11 years old now, but I am not on road every week with it. This summer, I get him to check it again and maybe replace fasterns at least. 

I think that most often on an aluminum trailer it isn't the fastner that fails. it's the aluminum around the fastner.

If you want to do the job right, when you replace fastners you need to put some plastic between the aluminum and the steel. Cut up anything, a dish soap container will work. Just so the steel isn't directly against the aluminum. The bolt shanks are hard to do but at the least put some silicone sealant on the bolts and let it dry before assembly. Put honeygoo or similar all over the bolts/nuts and washers when you complete assembly and clean/ respray regularly.  I have been told by a gentleman at a metal fab and fire truck repair shop that stainless hardware will rot unprotected aluminum faster than regular steel hardware.

9 hours ago, Re:Leaf said:

$35g usd or $50g cdn

Mine will haul a REN X and a Mach, so yes, $47 CDN taxes in. :-)

Miles of smiles is priceless 

8 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Looks like a Triton. The frame is known to crack where the rails and tongue meet. Which is why you see the newer ones with supports.

Just sayin

Mine is a V nose trailer, with a clamshell. The  tongue channel slides into the U channel on the trailer and bolted in 2 places. All worth a check this spring.

46 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I think that most often on an aluminum trailer it isn't the fastner that fails. it's the aluminum around the fastner.

If you want to do the job right, when you replace fastners you need to put some plastic between the aluminum and the steel. Cut up anything, a dish soap container will work. Just so the steel isn't directly against the aluminum. The bolt shanks are hard to do but at the least put some silicone sealant on the bolts and let it dry before assembly. Put honeygoo or similar all over the bolts/nuts and washers when you complete assembly and clean/ respray regularly.  I have been told by a gentleman at a metal fab and fire truck repair shop that stainless hardware will rot unprotected aluminum faster than regular steel hardware.

Stainless and aluminum do not get along especially when road salt and slop are involved. This increases galvanic corrosion. Better off using plated hardware, also areas where metal and aluminum touch should be insulated.

I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't have that kind of trailer.

All I really have is a 30' gooseneck, so - I really don't have these issues.

It rusts b/c it is steel and old, not from dissimilar. ;)

But not likely coming apart anytime soon either.

But my word of caution here, and I imagine that I may have posted this before, but as I said - I only pull a goose for the most part, but I doo have a 2" out the back door at the ready.

But it's most used app is to capture a snatch strap, and as a step. (flatbed, no tailgate)

Anyhow, one day my BIL got the forktruck stuck, and he hooked onto it with a chain (no stretch) and barely tugged on it, and the 2" plug broke right in 2.

Inspection showed that it had rotted out - all the way around the OD of the plug - right at the intersection of the receiver. 

It was at least 1/2 way through, but it seems like it was more like 2/3.

Kind'a put you in the mind of a tube cutter, as it was basically just a ring all the way around it that was rotted.

The scary part is that not more than 6 months prior, we had picked up my buddy's buddy's trailer in Colorado, drug it up to Dubois, Wyoming, and then home.

Prolly a good 1500+ miles with ... just one sled in it?

So, for those of you that leave your plugs in all the time, and they are not overly new, THAT would be my recommendation to inspect THAT!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Also check corrosion where the axle mounts to the aluminum frame. Many rot bad there due to dissimilar metals

Agreed! many people believe because its an Aluminum trailer, there's no corrosion to worry about.  Aluminum still corrodes as well as the issue with dissimilar metals. 

You see the same thing in the spring with older boat trailers, half way up the 400 with a missing wheel. 

2 hours ago, Ox said:

I don't have a dog in this fight as I don't have that kind of trailer.

All I really have is a 30' gooseneck, so - I really don't have these issues.

It rusts b/c it is steel and old, not from dissimilar. ;)

But not likely coming apart anytime soon either.

But my word of caution here, and I imagine that I may have posted this before, but as I said - I only pull a goose for the most part, but I doo have a 2" out the back door at the ready.

But it's most used app is to capture a snatch strap, and as a step. (flatbed, no tailgate)

Anyhow, one day my BIL got the forktruck stuck, and he hooked onto it with a chain (no stretch) and barely tugged on it, and the 2" plug broke right in 2.

Inspection showed that it had rotted out - all the way around the OD of the plug - right at the intersection of the receiver. 

It was at least 1/2 way through, but it seems like it was more like 2/3.

Kind'a put you in the mind of a tube cutter, as it was basically just a ring all the way around it that was rotted.

The scary part is that not more than 6 months prior, we had picked up my buddy's buddy's trailer in Colorado, drug it up to Dubois, Wyoming, and then home.

Prolly a good 1500+ miles with ... just one sled in it?

So, for those of you that leave your plugs in all the time, and they are not overly new, THAT would be my recommendation to inspect THAT!

Good advice - the winter road conditions play havoc on all kinds of metals and outta sight outta mind is not your friend..lol

3 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

It does not matter what make of trailer you have, they all experience wear and tear. If your not inspecting and maintaining stuff, your asking for problems.  

Glad i don’t own a triton. But some have more problems then others