Has anyone heard about trail grooming in Muskoka?

Little Ski Doo

I am heading to Baysville tomorrow for a ride. 

• Like 2

Freshly groomed in hgr. Headed toward baysville and decided to give the B trail a try to lake st Nora. Some logging but enough snow for cooling, some really good sections after that then the often neglected Haliburton section which was as usual neglected. Hopped on 64 to kawagama its minty, topped up at Mountain trout house, up d101  in good shape to the asc shelter for a nice long break then did 65, 67 in good shape and back d101 to Dorset then it got nasty till we got to Baysville. Found a cell phone on d101, dropped it off at cast iron and had a great burger. Returned to Port sydney. 256kms. The water hole by pioneer camp pit has opened up so be careful till we get some snow. All in all a great day!

F5D7776A-15C7-4974-8724-5D5D2B8D4E5B.jpeg

2896C872-67D9-484C-B231-F0C7F5DE71F1.jpeg

B475A735-6A39-4990-9568-A7DF8B313126.jpeg

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Steve F6 said:

Freshly groomed in hgr. Headed toward baysville and decided to give the B trail a try to lake st Nora. Some logging but enough snow for cooling, some really good sections after that then the often neglected Haliburton section which was as usual neglected. Hopped on 64 to kawagama its minty, topped up at Mountain trout house, up d101  in good shape to the asc shelter for a nice long break then did 65, 67 in good shape and back d101 to Dorset then it got nasty till we got to Baysville. Found a cell phone on d101, dropped it off at cast iron and had a great burger. Returned to Port sydney. 256kms. The water hole by pioneer camp pit has opened up so be careful till we get some snow. All in all a great day!

F5D7776A-15C7-4974-8724-5D5D2B8D4E5B.jpeg

2896C872-67D9-484C-B231-F0C7F5DE71F1.jpeg

B475A735-6A39-4990-9568-A7DF8B313126.jpeg

Very nice - heading up tomorrow for a ride.

The upcoming week looks very promising for conditions to greatly improve as well up there!!

Here is hoping things continue to improve and we have a great March.....maybe even some decent April riding options.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stoney said:

Here is hoping things continue to improve and we have a great March.....maybe even some decent April riding options.

I was with you until the last bit. You weren't smoking that newly legalized stuff after supper, were you?

• Haha 3

Wife and I had a great weekend at the Edgewater in Kearney. We were told lots of people cancelled because of the rain, so it was very light traffic all weekend which was nice. Trails were damn near perfect, best riding this season so far. Sorry to brag fellas, but it really was fantastic! Highland rovers & almaguin district did it right for the family day weekend. Not going to lie, there were a few sections (burks falls & Dwight) that could’ve been better, but I think there just wasn’t a lot of snow in those areas, there never really is going through towns. Friday nights ride was a chilly -19 and we only did about 50kms. Sled was completely dead Saturday morning after the cold night, but a guy brought over his jumper and it basically fired right up. Brand new battery in the sled this year too, but we all know the cold kills batteries.

That guy saved our weekend, Thankyou if your reading this!
Saturday was a 200km day and warmer, and then we just buzzed around close to Kearney on Sunday and did about 85kms. Friday & Saturday we’re pretty good, but Sunday was just mint! I love long rides with the guys, but cruising at 50km on a perfectly groomed trail with the wife, sun shining, temperature hovering around 0….couldn’t ask for a better ride!  
If anyone is wanting good trails over the next couple weeks, I would highly recommend going to Kearney. Lots of snow and cold in the forecast and they have a wicked base! It will only get better from here.5EFD7BCA-1FF6-4385-A640-E8C933EEB0D4.thumb.jpeg.03c6cb8abed5742bbc3951a60218c338.jpeg252EC464-AF36-4921-A43C-FF7EBAFF3C55.thumb.jpeg.5c78191e80f2097d69a1c2ad34d2012b.jpegF6A7561B-DB87-428F-97E1-83C9122E2D68.thumb.jpeg.6fd0a45231e08ba0d0c9eb7f7d91c660.jpegF8418B5A-2E90-466B-BB72-DBACEA78B31F.thumb.jpeg.fe2d1780a507f3ea83395da105a144ed.jpeg9418D2F3-1E47-4478-8A23-801B83E99097.thumb.jpeg.5c9991fa882e8597f1e05bf97ca3c865.jpegC9175090-362D-4CDC-AAA9-ECD16F1E09EF.thumb.jpeg.4502e188e387f7bc11cfce0c401e209e.jpeg98AADB40-FB8A-4419-A6D0-2F9380EEE337.thumb.jpeg.e4bf5e2a5d95f3caab792e22bf57c7a9.jpegD4201929-0E34-4847-B010-08ABEAABB241.thumb.jpeg.14e8b75a192444013bbdd3bf6c40ecf4.jpeg

• Like 12

The daughter and I staged from Raven today and ended up doing 180km when we returned to the truck.

Surprisingly the trails were actually pretty good - yes, some not so good, but plenty of good to really good trails to make the drive well worth it!

As Steve F6 said, D101B from ASC shelter to around 63 was mostly good, in either direction beyond these points, some new snow is needed for sure and some cold.

65 loop was great, some thin spots, but most of it was good, like it usually is.

I considered the 66 loop but never did it.....must do it on the next run up there.

64/68 were good too.

77 needs some snow and cold for sure.

Planned to grab lunch at Boiler room, but was closed until 4 I think.

Grabbed gas at Shell / Webster's Beacon with the plan to scoot across LOB via 76 to get some food at Zachary's, tried to call them to see if open, but just vm.....daughter was hungry and did not want to risk running that way to have no food options so we noticed Webster's Beacon has a pretty good selection of food, so grabbed lunch there instead.....all done and said with, $14.00 for the food plus $10.00 tip, figured I would have spent at least $50 at the Boiler Room, so that turned out well!

Trails were pretty quiet, passed 6 to 10 groups I would say, all spaced apart quite a bit.

The one thing that struck me was all the riders/groups we passed were riding very respectful - I usually try to get in and out the last few years by noon or 1PM due to the number of yahoos you come across after lunch on the weekends, seems to happen on every ride, but not today!

Saw a dead deer on the side of the trail that must have got hit by a sled fairly recently (last night) since most of the body was still intact. It was on the D101B between 60 and 61.

Anyone know what is the deal with tracked side by sides riding the trail and what what appears to be a plowed section of D101B between 65 & 63 for I assume vehicles perhaps to get to their cottage - never witnessed this before on this section?

Also noticed Bear Lake road (trail 64) is now plowed by I assume the cottage association a lot further than the usual 100/150 feet from Livingston lake road that is/was used by local cottagers to park? I do not think it is for logging.....

Just a few pictures from the day.

IMG_3866.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG

IMG_3871.JPG

IMG_3872.JPG

IMG_3873.JPG

IMG_3874.JPG

• Like 11

6 hours ago, Baylaker said:

Wife and I had a great weekend at the Edgewater in Kearney. We were told lots of people cancelled because of the rain, so it was very light traffic all weekend which was nice. Trails were damn near perfect, best riding this season so far. Sorry to brag fellas, but it really was fantastic! Highland rovers & almaguin district did it right for the family day weekend. Not going to lie, there were a few sections (burks falls & Dwight) that could’ve been better, but I think there just wasn’t a lot of snow in those areas, there never really is going through towns. Friday nights ride was a chilly -19 and we only did about 50kms. Sled was completely dead Saturday morning after the cold night, but a guy brought over his jumper and it basically fired right up. Brand new battery in the sled this year too, but we all know the cold kills batteries.

That guy saved our weekend, Thankyou if your reading this!
Saturday was a 200km day and warmer, and then we just buzzed around close to Kearney on Sunday and did about 85kms. Friday & Saturday we’re pretty good, but Sunday was just mint! I love long rides with the guys, but cruising at 50km on a perfectly groomed trail with the wife, sun shining, temperature hovering around 0….couldn’t ask for a better ride!  
If anyone is wanting good trails over the next couple weeks, I would highly recommend going to Kearney. Lots of snow and cold in the forecast and they have a wicked base! It will only get better from here.

I wonder if you have something drawing off the battery when not running?

-19 is not that cold really and to have zero juice, especially on a new battery, makes me think something else is going on.

Highly suggest you pick up one of those booster packs, they go on sale at CT usually multiple times a year - well worth the investment. One of the first things I bought after I picked up my 4-stroke......not pulling one of those over...lol

Nice pictures and report too!!

1 minute ago, Spiderman said:

B9FD0707-CF46-4239-A754-DB1EAFD9565D.jpeg

We saw a family today with a younger boy riding a POO like your sons - first person I thought of was you & wondered for a second if it was you, but the dad was on a newer POO.......than wife and daughter (I assumed) were trailing behind on a 2-up machine.

Great to see all out on Family day weekend!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stoney said:

I wonder if you have something drawing off the battery when not running?

-19 is not that cold really and to have zero juice, especially on a new battery, makes me think something else is going on.

Highly suggest you pick up one of those booster packs, they go on sale at CT usually multiple times a year - well worth the investment. One of the first things I bought after I picked up my 4-stroke......not pulling one of those over...lol

Nice pictures and report too!!

Oh yeah, now that you mention it, as I was installing my 2up seat about a month ago, I thought to myself I’ll have to remember to shut off the warmers after each ride.

We did leave them on overnight, but was told by a couple people that once the sled is off, they will turn off anyways. So I don’t really know if they do still draw power with the sled turned off. Might try it out here at home just so I know forsure. 
I’ll definitely be buying one of those Noco packs. 

We had one guy come around a corner sideways on one ski, but we saw it coming and were still far enough away from the corner. Other than that, everyone was riding very respectfully. It was nice to see for a change. I think all the yahoos went north to Sudbury, north bay & mattawa for the weekend. 
I’ll post some videos of our rides soon. 

11 hours ago, stoney said:

considered the 66 loop but never did it.....must do it on the next run up there.

We did 66 on Sunday, was amazing.  Although yesterday some idiots tried running it with their trucks (2) and got stuck

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stoney said:

Also noticed Bear Lake road (trail 64) is now plowed by I assume the cottage association a lot further than the usual 100/150 feet from Livingston lake road that is/was used by local cottagers to park? I do not think it is for logging....

Noticed this as well, 1st time I've seen this.  There was a burnt up sled there as well.

45 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Noticed this as well, 1st time I've seen this.  There was a burnt up sled there as well.

I’ve seen it done in the past for logging, but it didn’t seem to be for logging, no signs posted like normal but I did notice a new sign about cottage association, parking was mentioned, etc….but I didn’t read much more. 
When bear lake road is groomed, it’s a really nice run, would suck to lose that. 

13 hours ago, stoney said:

We saw a family today with a younger boy riding a POO like your sons - first person I thought of was you & wondered for a second if it was you, but the dad was on a newer POO.......than wife and daughter (I assumed) were trailing behind on a 2-up machine.

Great to see all out on Family day weekend!!

Ya, no newer Poo here for this guy.

Antiquated old Cat - kids get all the new stuff :)

• Haha 2

We rode those trails as well on Sunday had a great day with friends and family. Roads were getting bad and corners icy. We saw the deer as well, was fresh when we passed it. Was great to finally get out for a ride in Muskoka. 
Sudbury bound later this week then our big New Brunswick trip the following week. 
thanks to all those clubs for their hard work 

• Like 4

Son and I staged out of Baysville Monday and looped up around Kearney and back. Traffic was light and trails overall were better than what we expected. Road runs were not great but passable. Also saw the dead deer and there were about 20 ravens performing natures clean up. Guess they call it Raven Lake for a reason. Coming back on Lake of bays there was a small herd of deer that jumped on the lake to catch the last of the afternoon sun. In total did 237 km. With the snow in the forecast this week this area should be in good shape for a while. 

• Like 7

HGR has been daily grooming what they have to work with. Now its a good durable base.  Next dump of snow it'll be minty👌

• Like 3

Pisten bully is broke down on the east side. Right where i dropped the pin on the map. 

20629F8D-45B4-42D4-AAA3-1575AF422BC2.jpeg

All good in D7 today. 51, 54, LOB, 76, d101 to ASC shelter all mint. 65 66 67 good, needs a groom to widen it out since no one rides there side in fresh snow. 101 down to 63, fuel at MTH good, 64 south to Raven lake was top shelf👌, d101 to Baysville limit was tough as usual. Baysville was good getting icy in corners by this time. Back to HGR chopped but still ok. Someone smucked a tree real bad just past the baysville gas station. Bummer. Passed the groomer on his way down d102 by Freds. A good ol muskoka rodeo. Please dont signal me when riding down the middle of the trail and im eating the bank. Not kosher, i dont give a rats ass who's behind you or any other handy info you have to pass along at that moment in time lol. Peace out. 

B4265033-68BF-44B4-9C04-C5E0C789DFFD.jpeg

E619C589-2506-4A4B-A126-B948ECF0A56A.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Forgot to mention, Baysville gas station was out of premium last night. Smiths in port still had premium. 

Grabbing lunch in Dwight with my son. 
Trails aren’t bad for a Sunday. 
65 has some chop but fresh snow makes big difference from this past Monday. 
Son complained about tummy, ended up puking on trail 67, seems good to go now though…lol

forgot some pictures. 

414B4174-37A4-481E-AF95-539C1442AC82.jpeg

51A2BE12-5176-493D-942C-7068810EBF62.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, stoney said:

Grabbing lunch in Dwight with my son. 
Trails aren’t bad for a Sunday. 
65 has some chop but fresh snow makes big difference from this past Monday. 
Son complained about tummy, ended up puking on trail 67, seems good to go now though…lol

forgot some pictures. 

414B4174-37A4-481E-AF95-539C1442AC82.jpeg

51A2BE12-5176-493D-942C-7068810EBF62.jpeg

You think a rap tourer is going to be possible on March break? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

You think a rap tourer is going to be possible on March break? 

All the trails I rode that are considered part of the rap, aren’t bad. 
The usually bad sections of course, but to be expected with plenty of turns, up and downs that chew up any nicely groomed trail fast.