Has anyone heard about trail grooming in Muskoka?

Little Ski Doo

HGR trails look in good shape. I would expect them to re-open soon. Baysville and Gravenhurst already went yellow. Icy, hard and flat underneath a fresh 2-3 inches of powder. Snow tonight too. Giddy up, it'll be a rodeo this weekend😎🤠

We'll be there tomorrow with 2 sleds if anyone is interested. 

E60A9DC0-7175-48ED-90E0-557C72E3E29C.jpeg

• Like 4

Sledded from Pointe Au Baril to Port Loring this morning, plowing through 6-10  inches of fresh snow on trails and lakes.

Highlight was two Moose just north of Ardbeg, quite a sight to see. With a grooming the trails should be super. Son and I traded between Renegade and Mach, was a good opportunity for comparison

92446967_MachandRenny.thumb.jpg.bff66365c7f1e7c3f7fa75fc66fce5bd.jpg

486484721_RenegadeX.thumb.jpg.ad457016159cb6fb348a50f045c60450.jpg

• Like 7

A59FC096-FE26-487C-92C3-D0B7685CFBE5.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

we got out in the fresh snow with the old fanner just south of port Sydney

PXL_20220219_174549958.jpg

• Like 8

Was out saturday for a ride with a couple of lady friends on the Almaguin system.Trails were in great shape and not busy.I was quite surprised how quiet it was considering it was family day weekend..Did hit a snow covered rock which broke my carbide. Lucky i had some used ones under the bench which i changed out today. Waiting for my new ones to show up that i ordered last week.

• Like 3

This was this morning at the top of clearwater lake. D103b. Should be good to go tomorrow. Groomer was just heading out on the east side of HGR 20min ago. Ran down to get gas at smiths. Its fast as hell and smooth but not alot of bite in the corners. Plenty of snow for cooling. Be careful tomorrow in the twisties. 

84C0EBC4-5AFB-4F06-A4EA-D52D5564592F.jpeg

3E9CE615-636D-4512-ADCE-C112FFFB5B9A.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

She's singing her song folks. Enjoying some pop tarts and coffee at freds. Still good cover in the bush, but getting thin in the usual spots and running a bit warmer 50c than the usual 39c but the 600r is loving it. Spring riding at its best!

F0E3BA33-6CD7-409E-9E8E-8870070FE3DE.jpeg

E74D41CE-60F3-4384-8678-26C4CFB46D08.jpeg

• Like 11

Roads are toast......:(

Picking up new sleds this weekend - but will have to wait I guess.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Steve F6 said:

She's singing her song folks. Enjoying some pop tarts and coffee at freds. Still good cover in the bush, but getting thin in the usual spots and running a bit warmer 50c than the usual 39c but the 600r is loving it. Spring riding at its best!

F0E3BA33-6CD7-409E-9E8E-8870070FE3DE.jpeg

E74D41CE-60F3-4384-8678-26C4CFB46D08.jpeg

Do you think there will still be some trails open in Muskoka this weekend?

19 minutes ago, rippintheyammi said:

Do you think there will still be some trails open in Muskoka this weekend?

Not looking good with the rain👎 But ya never know. 

• Like 1

My guess is most trails in Muskoka will be shut down by the weekend and Lakes will be very slushy. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

the thing is with warm ups, the snow is still there but, the clubs cant groom. they will do more damage than good. you need below freezing temps to groom, and then to set the trail up. the warmer it is, the more snow sticks in the drag and to the pan, not making for a good final product.

add in, we wont stop riding, and not totally whoop out a trail... then even when it gets colder... the groomers cant fix what we destroyed. most of the time by that time, especially a heavy volume trail, is beyond repair.  

the best case scenario is the clubs close the trail and we honor it a day before the warm up. one groom before the warm up to set things up for after the warm up. when the temps drop again, the trail can open again. then the system will survive longer, and be smoother. 

I can hear it now, those complaining the trails are not being groomed, or the trails are so whooped they are rattling their teeth out. happens every year. Ski

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Roads are toast......:(

Picking up new sleds this weekend - but will have to wait I guess.

Do tell

Rain held off long enough for a little scoot on the new iron.

So far so good

FDA4BDBD-CD22-49A8-A4DB-66EF70CFE542.jpeg

C5C80A3A-6A4E-4EA9-923B-1D22B32D913E.jpeg

• Like 11

On 3/17/2022 at 7:30 AM, skidooboy said:

the thing is with warm ups, the snow is still there but, the clubs cant groom. they will do more damage than good. you need below freezing temps to groom, and then to set the trail up. the warmer it is, the more snow sticks in the drag and to the pan, not making for a good final product.

add in, we wont stop riding, and not totally whoop out a trail... then even when it gets colder... the groomers cant fix what we destroyed. most of the time by that time, especially a heavy volume trail, is beyond repair.  

the best case scenario is the clubs close the trail and we honor it a day before the warm up. one groom before the warm up to set things up for after the warm up. when the temps drop again, the trail can open again. then the system will survive longer, and be smoother. 

I can hear it now, those complaining the trails are not being groomed, or the trails are so whooped they are rattling their teeth out. happens every year. Ski

Its game over for the trails here , this past wk. way to mild round the clock. Lakes flooded.

• 10 months later...

West side HGR has had 3 passes with the drag on and listed yellow. East side has some wet spots still and wont be open for a bit yet. Mary lake is slushed up under the snow but this cold will help.

1 hour ago, Steve F6 said:

West side HGR has had 3 passes with the drag on and listed yellow. East side has some wet spots still and wont be open for a bit yet. Mary lake is slushed up under the snow but this cold will help.

I see yellow popping up in our local area too.

Nice to see as I don't think I need to trailer now tomorrow morning - hoping to ride around local and not too far from home given the cold temps

Is anyone crossing Mary Lake in the stake line path? Have been staying off the lake so far due to the slush factor but if there are tracks in certain places this cold will harden it up as Steve F6 suggested.

Does anyone know if there is a spot to exit Pine Lake when travelling to and from Gravenhurst Bay? I know if was closed off the last couple of years and figured i'd ask before planning out a route.

6 hours ago, gtowe said:

Is anyone crossing Mary Lake in the stake line path? Have been staying off the lake so far due to the slush factor but if there are tracks in certain places this cold will harden it up as Steve F6 suggested.

Yesterday there was 8" at 400' out. Beyond that 5" and slush. Looks like someone track packed the stake line today so by tomorrow that should be tight but its a sketchy year for ice. 

• Like 1

I would avoid ice travel this year unless you've checked the lake yourself or the ofsc staked it. There is a reason not a single ofsc ice crossing is open south of North Bay yet. This cold will help, but 24 hrs of 30 below will only do so much. Going back to mild weather in a hurry.

• Like 1