Has anyone heard about trail grooming in Muskoka?

Little Ski Doo

We got nothing here yesterday, north of Parry Sound. Last year when the trails were 'Covid' closed we could run through the bush and swamps but

there is very little snow, end up plowing through bull-rushes

• Sad 1

With the new snow, Baysville should be up and running soon. They've been out with their packing bar already.

• Like 4

We have been out Packing with the groomer and bearcats, getting much closer to opening in Gravenhurst. Quite a few of the Muskoka clubs have been posting on FB updates

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

tough/late start - great to see the dedicated volunteers staying optimistic and doing what they can.

• Like 3

• LuvMyViper changed the title to Has anyone heard about trail grooming in Muskoka?

Orillia's got some yellow. And the rail line to Kinmount is green. I bet ya Blake's locked and loaded up for the a.m. lol

• Haha 4

Was looking at our club's Facebook page - so many downed trees.

We have the low lying swamp issues too - it's been nice and cold with little snow - so hopefully those have firmed up.

No hockey for the last 3 weeks - but no snow to ride at the cottage either.... stinks

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 1/18/2022 at 8:03 PM, snowchopper said:

Almaguin has started to pack and clear down trees this past weekend. We only got 3 inches of snow yesterday.

Definitely all they need is a good dump of snow to open.  Snow dancing daily!

• Like 1

Just spoke with the groomer operators in Baysville & they are out packing as I write this. With the cold the swamps are all froze up but there is still a lack of snow. With the terrain in that area, there needs a fair amount of snow to fill in the holes that they just don't have yet. They are also doing some brushing as well. Once some more snow comes things will happen quickly as the initial packing & brushing is well under way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Krusty said:

Just spoke with the groomer operators in Baysville & they are out packing as I write this. With the cold the swamps are all froze up but there is still a lack of snow. With the terrain in that area, there needs a fair amount of snow to fill in the holes that they just don't have yet. They are also doing some brushing as well. Once some more snow comes things will happen quickly as the initial packing & brushing is well under way. 

My assumption is our area is in a similar state - and it isn't going to snow at -30......

On 1/18/2022 at 8:03 PM, snowchopper said:

Almaguin has started to pack and clear down trees this past weekend. We only got 3 inches of snow yesterday.

Falling behind now, last season 1st local  ride on open trails in Almaguin was Jan 9th.

23 minutes ago, snowchopper said:

Talked to Mark Reynolds today.The Highland Rovers were going over to Bear Lake.Said they were going to pack 101 tomorrow. 

You mean C101? I was at my BILs cottage in Seguin falls last Sunday and I saw sled tracks on the C101 and the Seguin trail but there was not much snow coverage. They were supposed to get some snow this week so maybe it will be good.

Was going to head up and try to ride lakes and fields this weekend - but going to give it one more week.

Will Muskoka even get open this year?

come on mother nature - throw us a bone here

11 hours ago, Johnny_5oh said:

You mean C101? I was at my BILs cottage in Seguin falls last Sunday and I saw sled tracks on the C101 and the Seguin trail but there was not much snow coverage. They were supposed to get some snow this week so maybe it will be good.

The d101b is the trail i was talking about.Mark had the groomer on behind the Piston Bully when i saw him.We got a few more inches this week.Here is a link so you can see in real time what is happening /snow level and the current temp in the Almaguin area.http://www.almaguin.com/wxcurrent/weather.html...It has been very cold here the last two days. It was minus 36 celcius at Sand Lake this morning at 8am without any wind chill factored in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Was going to head up and try to ride lakes and fields this weekend - but going to give it one more week.

Will Muskoka even get open this year?

come on mother nature - throw us a bone here

I think you would have been fine with the lakes & some roads.

I read people are running LOB, I think I read or heard Raven lake is staked, Kenissis had plenty of tracks (I was just there) & some lakes in the forest are staked as well.

So the lakes are ahead of the trails for sure this year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stoney said:

I think you would have been fine with the lakes & some roads.

I read people are running LOB, I think I read or heard Raven lake is staked, Kenissis had plenty of tracks (I was just there) & some lakes in the forest are staked as well.

So the lakes are ahead of the trails for sure this year.

Yeah-Lake Muskoka is good!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

Yeah-Lake Muskoka is good!

Any idea about ice thickness?

Are there many sled tracks?

Mary lake is good to go

• Thanks 1