STOLEN SLED

Giddy UP

Saw this on another sledding group on FB and thought I would get the word out here as well  I hope he finds it  

#snowmobile  #stolen 

Hey everyone! My sled was stolen early this morning just outside of Stratford towards Shakespeare. If anyone has any information or sees anything on the trails, please let me know. It’s a 2016 Ski-Doo MXZ X-RS 800 with a licence plate of 3AK734 as shown in the photos. Any leads or help would be appreciated, happy sledding!

46CD21D8-5D33-433B-90C8-F002791713F2.jpeg

9419F679-E57E-4329-9D24-F7CA7B53051A.jpeg

A62C3E19-FD7D-47F7-BD3A-CD71A3A58DD8.jpeg

27 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

And I'm sure it had a functioning DESS system. This is going to get real common with the 2022s where the DESS doesn't work.

I think it has always been an issue, particularly the last couple of years with lack of inventory and costs of new and used sleds.  😔

1 minute ago, Giddy UP said:

I think it has always been an issue, particularly the last couple of years with lack of inventory and costs of new and used sleds.  😔

But now even easier target with the lack of a functioning 2022 DESS system. 

Well, thieves don't need to start the sled to steal the sled 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

You got that right. But if there is a 2022 sitting beside a 2021 and the thieves know DESS doesn't work on the 22 (oh and they know)........

They will steal the '22, go pick up a buddy and then come back and pick up the '21.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

You got that right. But if there is a 2022 sitting beside a 2021 and the thieves know DESS doesn't work on the 22 (oh and they know)........

They aren't worried about DESS, they'll steal anything and everything.

Thieves and their "fencing" market will always have a way to move whatever is they need to move.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

They aren't worried about DESS, they'll steal anything and everything.

Thieves and their "fencing" market will always have a way to move whatever is they need to move.

But so inviting without functioning DESS, easy target  

You seem extremely focused on the non working DESS on the 2022 Doo's - yes it is concerning that it does not work for now, but even with a working DESS, just look above, still stolen.

Look at @scottyr, they took sled (w/ working DESS) & a trailer.

As mentioned, a thief will take what they are after, no matter what.

There are post DESS locks in lieu of working DESS, but just a roadblock to a thief......might be a good year to add another locking system for good measure, but people are desperate & bored, which = more theft.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stoney said:

You seem extremely focused on the non working DESS on the 2022 Doo's - yes it is concerning that it does not work for now, but even with a working DESS, just look above, still stolen.

Look at @scottyr, they took sled (w/ working DESS) & a trailer.

As mentioned, a thief will take what they are after, no matter what.

There are post DESS locks in lieu of working DESS, but just a roadblock to a thief......might be a good year to add another locking system for good measure, but people are desperate & bored, which = more theft.

One time I drove all way too dealer with snowmobile in tow. When I got there , I realized I left key inside house with dess on it.  I figure I ask dealer if they can do anything. Within 30 seconds they handed me a master dess. Sure enough it worked right away. Ever since has me wondering maybe regular keys were better?  Better to invest in a tracking device and hide it in snowmobile some where. 

🤣

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

One time I drove all way too dealer with snowmobile in tow. When I got there , I realized I left key inside house with dess on it.  I figure I ask dealer if they can do anything. Within 30 seconds they handed me a master dess. Sure enough it worked right away. Ever since has me wondering maybe regular keys were better?  Better to invest in a tracking device and hide it in snowmobile some where. 

🤣

Not knocking the DESS, but I think it gives people a false sense of security like it is some super anti-theft device.

17 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

But so inviting without functioning DESS, easy target  

DESS no DESS.  Key ...No Key.... If there is motive and opportunity - they will steal it regardless.  They steal sleds in broad daylight out of people's front yards for years even BEFORE the DESS key.  It really doesn't matter - thieves are thieves and they gonna steal!  The best course of defense is to have an alternative deterrent.  I would hope that any smart owner of a '22 doo would be wise enough to either get the post lock - or - an alternative lock if they don't have that.  Anyone of my friends that have them have already thought of this.  We always have a second security measure as a deterrent to steal our sleds - (maybe because Mr. Giddy is a retired cop...lol ..he is so anal about it).   So - with or without the DESS it is a bit more difficult for them to get them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Giddy UP said:

DESS no DESS.  Key ...No Key.... If there is motive and opportunity - they will steal it regardless.  They steal sleds in broad daylight out of people's front yards for years even BEFORE the DESS key.  It really doesn't matter - thieves are thieves and they gonna steal!  The best course of defense is to have an alternative deterrent.  I would hope that any smart owner of a '22 doo would be wise enough to either get the post lock - or - an alternative lock if they don't have that.  Anyone of my friends that have them have already thought of this.  We always have a second security measure as a deterrent to steal our sleds - (maybe because Mr. Giddy is a retired cop...lol ..he is so anal about it).   So - with or without the DESS it is a bit more difficult for them to get them.

Big chain/big lock thru track fastened to immovable object!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Muskoka1 said:

BINGO!

1 hour ago, Muskoka1 said:

You've been to Hornepayne?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Muskoka1 said:

Reminds of me of that track lock some people use to use. Sucks when they leave in morning and forget it was put on the night before. Nothing like it getting all jammed up in drivers and front of track. 🤣.  

8 hours ago, Ox said:

You've been to Hornepayne?

No-but people talk about the areas just N. of Montreal that can be pretty bad for theft!

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

When you go to Quebec take off front license plate where you park and back truck against a bank. They leave you alone thinking you are from Quebec too 😎

Where do you leave your trailer? Would it not be better locked to the truck and backed into the bank? Do that and take an ignition breaker out of the fuse panel under the hood. Easy Peasy!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Where do you leave your trailer? Would it not be better locked to the truck and backed into the bank? Do that and take an ignition breaker out of the fuse panel under the hood. Easy Peasy!

My uncle has place in Quebec. He always takes front plate off when he parks his vehicle near the road. Blends right in with Quebec vehicles then. Sometimes they slash tires on ontario vehicles. That’s why. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We have parked in Quebec many many times, never an issue...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

We have parked in Quebec many many times, never an issue...

We have never had an issue either however we have puller the breaker a few times over the years when we were in areas for the fist time that we had never been before and that had widely publicized theft issues.

• Like 1