TRI TOWN GROOMER BURNS

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

One of the New Liskeard groomers burned tonight on a trail in the bush near the back of a farm on or near Highway 65. The Tic Toc video I saw showed what appeared to be a Shur Trac style of groomer in full burn mode. There was a comment that the 2 guys that were in it got out and are safe. I couldn't copy the video for some reason.

• Sad 2

Glad to hear all are safe and no injuries. Maybe one of the clubs from the South will relocate to the aera to help out.

• Like 2

Had the same thing happen to myself a few years ago.

After when what was left of the ts110.was gone through it was determined that the cause was that the main power feed that runs under the cab and between the frame had worn through and shorted out , starting a fire.

From the time I saw what I thought was smoke to the groomer being fully engulfed was less than 30 seconds.  I had the full of my ass to get out with my jacket and fire extinguisher, that more or less helped me get out.

After this our district has been checking for this problem on its ts groomers.

Glad to here everyone is OK equipment can be replaced lives can't. 

Also with the amount of snow in the south the ofsc should be able to move something around to help this club/ district out.

• Like 5

The groomer that burned was from Club Echo which serves Earlton, Englehart and Charlton. The post I saw last night said Tri Town. It was apparently grooming a Tri Town trail south of the A trail at the time for some reason. A comment from the operator in the post last evening said he had a very cold walk as he didn't get his coat out of the groomer. I'm glad he and his daughter are safe.

• Like 5

Tri-Town Sno Travellers and Club Echo work seamlessly together. Maximum cooperation. 

Screenshot_20220116-102406_Facebook.jpg

• Like 4

With the lack of snow in Southern Ontario, I am sure the OFSC will have a unit on a trailer heading north this week to replace it.  

• Like 4

Hmm, looks like all the clubs south of Bancroft will be using their groomers starting tmo night! (fingers crossed)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Is that what The Weather Network is saying?

TWN forecast that the smow would start here tonight between 11 and midnight. They were wrong. It started just before 11 PM and it's snowing hard  at 11:30. Groomers out tomorrow.😉

Hmm.
Looks like TWN may have been right for a change. 

Blizzard warning for the GTA.😳 Can’t remember that ever happening. 

1 hour ago, yamadan700 said:

Hmm.
Looks like TWN may have been right for a change. 

Blizzard warning for the GTA.😳 Can’t remember that ever happening. 

Jan '78?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ox said:

Jan '78?

Yup. Isn't that when Mayor Mel called the army into dig Toronto out? I was young then!!!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ox said:

Jan '78?

Nope.

The first storm arrived on Jan. 2, 1999 and dropped almost 38 centimetres of snow, causing commuter chaos in the city's downtown core.

By Jan. 4, Lastman had declared a "snow emergency" and banned parking on certain snow routes.

Over the next week it continued to snow, with another 21 centimetres falling on Jan. 12.

image.jpeg.239d2ebe9d90d1816db4266bbb80eb7d.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first storm to hit Toronto was in 1999?

Seriously?

How did y'all make it through the mid/late 70's / early 80's unscathed?

Other than "looks like someone is dooing sumpthing/anything", what on Earth is an armoured personnel carrier going to doo to help the situation?

We got the '78 blizzard for 2-3 days, but my mistake was that Mel was just an appliance salesman at that time. I hate it when I forget a whole generation!

• Haha 2

On 1/17/2022 at 9:49 AM, Ox said:

The first storm to hit Toronto was in 1999?

Seriously?

How did y'all make it through the mid/late 70's / early 80's unscathed?

Other than "looks like someone is dooing sumpthing/anything", what on Earth is an armoured personnel carrier going to doo to help the situation?

Ox,

Toronto is a big city. Multiple storms within days made the side streets impassable for emergency vehicles. Mel called in the Army and APCs' to get fire trucks and ambulances down some of the side streets for emergencies. If I remember, sometimes they had to pull the fire trucks down the street to make a call.

Yes. people in Canada all laugh at Toronto and Mel for it. Same way you guys call in the National Guard for disasters. It was in effect a disaster for the safety of the city.

OK, so the APC's were used to break trail and tow as needed. Got it.

Just wasn't seeing how a rig like that that has no plow ability was helping.

But I have now seen the light.

In '78, out here in the corn fields, our roads got opened up by farmers with loader tractors, bulldozers, and payloaders.

Nothing wrong with calling in outside help, just wasn't seeing the value in something that couldn't move snow.