polaris vs doo

volsla

I am looking for the sled for my better half. So, she will ride trails only; moreover, i will be riding that sled time to time to entertain myself, (I do have doo 1200 4tec).

basic requirements:

easy to ride

corner handling

light

good suspension

wind protection

quiet

reliable

3 sleds are on the list at this point.

POlaris indi 850 with 137 track.

Polaris indi adventure 850 with 137 track.

SKidoo renegate 900  with 137 track.

I haven't ridden any of above; however, Polaris looks better but doo has 4 strock engine, that i like LOL.

So, what is your opinion, based on requirements (above).

or

You are welcome to point me to the another sled as an alternative option.

I am at the research phase at this moment .

20 minutes ago, volsla said:

I am looking for the sled for my better half. So, she will ride trails only; moreover, i will be riding that sled time to time to entertain myself, (I do have doo 1200 4tec).

basic requirements:

easy to ride

corner handling

light

good suspension

wind protection

quiet

reliable

I haven't ridden any of above; however, Polaris looks better but doo has 4 strock engine, that i like LOL.

or

My opinion I get 650 etec. It’s lighter then 900, same on fuel and never have to change,  engine oil. Thing will last 20,000 km’s no problem. It’s a proven engine.  900 is a good choice too, but you notice extra weight no doubt, which tends to fatigue the rider quicker. If I was going to get a sled for my female better half it would be a 650. Polaris 650 is nice too and more then enough power for a female rider. No sense spending extra dough on an 850. I just don’t like first year engines, hence why I trust doo over the poo at the moment. I owned a few etec 600’s from doo. They are rock solid. 😎

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

My opinion I get 650 etec. It’s lighter then 900, same on fuel and never have to change,  engine oil. Thing will last 20,000 km’s no problem. It’s a proven engine.  900 is a good choice too, but you notice extra weight no doubt, which tends to fatigue the rider quicker. If I was going to get a sled for my female better half it would be a 650. Polaris 650 is nice too and more then enough power for a female rider. No sense spending extra dough on an 850. I just don’t like first year engines, hence why I trust doo over the poo at the moment. I owned a few etec 600’s from doo. They are rock solid. 😎

thanks for the replay with few valid points. I will take them into the account.

• Haha 1

I agree with signfan, skidoo 900ace would be my first choice.

• Like 2

Honestly there all good sleds.  It all depends on her.  She may not like the polaris for certain reasons and same for the ski doo.  If there is anyway you could get her to try one or 2 models out before buying it might help.  Might be worth a trip to a few dealers and see if she can sit on them(if they have any)  On the polaris side I would go down to the 650.

• Like 3

Both brands make excellent machines.

For me the decision would be based on the location and quality of the dealership.

• Like 4

Like others have said I would certainly try and see if you could demo or get a chance to try a couple of the sleds you are considering, Both brands build great sleds and very different seating positions and handling on them 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. We ordered my wife a 650 VR1 137 for this year, If you have any other questions about the Polaris sleds let me know and if we could meet up for a ride I would be more than happy to let you try ours for a few minutes.

Dealer choice is also a major consideration as Blake mentioned, the Dealer that will look after you when there is a problem is worth quite a bit more vs the dealer you save a few bucks on when buying it.

Hope this helps you,

• Like 5

So many good products out there. 
bought my wife a ‘19 renegade 900NA. Her favorite machine ever period. Not that she has rode them all. 
if 4 stroke is top of list. Efficiency. Reliability. Gas and go. If quiet is top of list. That’s the machine. 
I quite enjoy it however, I favor little more power. I upgraded end of last year to 900t renegade. G4 chassis is more comfortable on long runs for me. If you ride aggressive at all. Ras x and rmotion x is best g4 setup yet. If you don’t ride hard an older one is just fine. 
I loved the 1200 XS blizzard. Dialed in out of the crate. Blizzard was great value package. Great trail manners. Power for 90% of everyday use. Efficiency. Reliability. Etc. Others hate a 1200. 
so many opinions. Hope it helps. 

• Like 4

both brands would be a good choice, 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, volsla said:

basic requirements:

easy to ride

corner handling

light

good suspension

wind protection

quiet

reliable

or

For starters, the three sleds that you say you are considering are not comparable, and as others have stated, an 850 of any brand is not required. You haven't mentioned whether or not you are looking at new, used or both. I know there are few used sleds now, but is the south doesn't get snow soon, late model used sleds will start to be available. As for proximity to dealers, based on your stated location, you are blessed.

Now for specific recommendations. A Doo 900 ace is a great sled for the job. Yes, it is heavier than a 2-stroke, which makes it heavier to steer, if set up like a similar 2-stroke. But, when set up properly, it steers much better than 'as received', and the addition of Snow Trackers will make steering light and very accurate. I have over 27K km on 2017 and 2018 900 aces in the 127" chassis. I have lent those sleds to various riders, and particularly women have really like the sleds. BTW, no matter what anyone tells you, a 127" turns easier than a 137" chassis on groomed trails. The difference has been greatly reduced in recent sleds, to the point where it is almost 'moot', but it's there at ten tenths cornering.

I don't know if you can even find a new Skidoo 600 Sport, but that would be my first consideration for the purposes that you have stated. Unfortunately I have not had a ride on

one of these, so I am basing my opinion on the specification and standard equipment. A lot of easy riding fun should be available from this sled. As Strong Farmer said, you can't go wrong with  600 etec either.

As for the 650 Polaris, I agree that its generally a good idea to avoid first year brand new engines, but this is now the second year of the 650. I got a ride on the 2021 650 VR1, in both 129 and 137 lengths, and they are amazing in terms of power delivery and handling. I could throw the 127 around easier, and I believe both sleds were similarly set up.

So my take is that a 900 ace is best for the stated purpose, but the new 600 Sport would be right there, and the Doo 600 etec or Poo 650 are also excellent, but still more power than you likely need. Have fun!

BTW, you are not that far away. We could likely arrange a ride for your wife on my 900 ace.

• Like 7

On 1/14/2022 at 11:55 PM, volsla said:

basic requirements:

easy to ride

corner handling

light

good suspension

wind protection

quiet

reliable

or

Lots of great advice here from really good people.  I am a Doo guy. Quiet sled .4 Stoke.  Only motor therefore is 900 or 600.   If 70 MPH is acceptable 600  is the one. Very  light on the steering hands down.  Warm enough cause it's a  wide body  and just get at least the medium windshield   if not a high one .  suspension well a Renegade  137. But at the end of the day   good luck on your Hunt 

• Like 2