REQUEST for Hali Forest conditions

coolbane

• LuvMyViper changed the title to REQUEST for Hali Forest conditions

Saturday was good, better than expected.  Did approx 200k,  single trails were rough.

When I left my cottage(kennisis)today we had about 3" fresh snow and it was still snowing.  Grooming will depend on how much snow they get today according to my buddy who works there.  No lakes are staked yet but we were running them.  Including Kennisis 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stonehaven said:

Saturday was good, better than expected.  Did approx 200k,  single trails were rough.

When I left my cottage(kennisis)today we had about 3" fresh snow and it was still snowing.  Grooming will depend on how much snow they get today according to my buddy who works there.  No lakes are staked yet but we were running them.  Including Kennisis 

Cut any holes in Kennisis?

If people are running K, just imagine how many of smaller lakes are ran. 
Raven must be well tracked. 

I drilled 8 holes,  average was 4-6".  We were all over my bay and area last weekend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I’m on Redstone Lake. Fishing yesterday. Any holes I cut was at least 8 inches. The majority of the lake have been covered for two weeks. This past Tuesday morning the open areas in the main lake finally tightened up. A good 8 inches on the ground plus a couple more yesterday. No doubt HCSA will be packing soon. Lakes will be staked soon I imagine. Last year Big Red never froze over till Jan 25

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

We rode the Forest today.

Conditions were generally pretty good on the main trails, which were mostly groomed. The side trails were mostly not groomed and were pretty rough. There are still quite a few of the famous Hali stone available to ding your skis and studs (I'll do inspection of studs and carbides tomorrow to see what it cost me). 

Overall, a good day's sledding and well worth the trip. 

Major offseason clutch rebuild work on my 1200 and new engine top end on my Polaris worked without a hitch, awesome. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, coolbane said:

Has anyone ridden the Hali trails over the weekend or past few days? The website states open/poor.

Would appreciate any recent info on trail conditions. Thinking of heading there on Tuesday. 

Thanks.

My buddy was in it today, dropped north.  Kelly Lk road area.  Said it isn't great but not  terrible.  We got a 1-2" snow last night and still flurries off and on right now.  He's still in there riding right now.  I was suppose to go but choose to just ride some lakes and forest area instead.  

20220327_100031.jpg

20220327_101230.jpg

Thanks Stonehaven. 

A few more questions for you, or you buddy:

1. By 'isn't great but not terrible', do you think your buddy mean: many bare spots, or exposed stones thru the base, or water cuts in low spots?
  2. If there are still some flurries coming, sounds like there should still be enough loose snow for decent cooling?
  3. Do you know if there is enough ice base to ride from the basecamp parking lot to the trails without too much grinding?

Just trying to figure if it is worth dragging my buddy on the 3 hour drive or whether I should just pack it in!!

Thanks again for any additional info. 

Definitely some bare spots, rocks. Probably need scratchers.  Heading out from the Base will be a tough stretch. I wouldn't drive 3hrs for it.  Calling for snow Wed which would help though. 

Thanks the additional info Stonehaven. Tough call. 

If there is a forum manager on OC, can you please ban this Motorhead. He always has negative unhelpful comments and I hear he is not a snowmobiler anymore, more an ice fisherman now (i.e. he only uses a snowmobile to get from one beer stop to the next).

8 hours ago, coolbane said:

Thanks the additional info Stonehaven. Tough call. 

If there is a forum manager on OC, can you please ban this Motorhead. He always has negative unhelpful comments and I hear he is not a snowmobiler anymore, more an ice fisherman now (i.e. he only uses a snowmobile to get from one beer stop to the next).

From my experience forest likes to over state trail conditions. Fair, poor should be closed. Good is usually fair and excellent usually means good. Only wild card is current weather might temporarily improve it. Maybe look at thier webcam and see if they got any fresh snow. Good luck 😎

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

^ You know you love the Love Love of the rocks on yer studs n carbides.

Hey ZR.  Good to hear from you.  Are you jumping back in??

I’ve decided not to drive up there to ride tomorrow,  even though I know the conditions would have been acceptable with a nice sunny day in the forecast. Now I get to spend the next few months regretting having caved.  

23 minutes ago, Motorhead said:

You should check out Gadgetmans thread on spring riding. You should have went with him Mr Coolbane. Seems you would have thrived in that environment.  Lol. But I guess if I did not own an atv I would beat my sled up as well.

I just got back from Quebec and most of the trails were awesome, roads and parking lots were brutal. Most likely destroyed my carbides and sliders but well worth it. Definitely beats sitting in front of your computer crap talking other forum members. 👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Well said Oggy.

Seems Mr Coolbane has good support here. 

Just for you members that don't know. Mr Coolbane and I go back along way. Anything said is just our way of poking fun at each other. If it was not for me his quick wit would soon diminish as we are all getting older. In fact he took me up Mt Carton in New Brunswick this year trying to kill me. But that's another story.

IMG_20220228_152635.jpg

IMG_20220228_151437.jpg

• Like 4