2up seat for Yamaha Apex

Jd8430

Hi guys, first time poster. 

Just got talked into buying a 2008 Apex from a friend of a friend. Never owned a sled before. Have done a bit of trail riding with rented sleds. 

Would like to find a 2up seat, not planning to buy a 2nd machine and my wife is happy to ride double for the local riding. Might still rent a second sled for a wknd or 2.

Anyone have connections to something? 

Thanks! 

Welcome to the forum JD8430! Are you looking for a "SeatJack" which just strap onto the existing seat or for a full fledged Yamaha 2 UP seat?  With the exhaust setup on your sled it may not be easy to put a full fledged 2UP on it.  the following Yamaha forum might help you out:      https://ty4stroke.com/

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks for the lead. 

I think likely just a strap on deal. Not familiar with what is available but I was looking at the dual exhaust system wondering how a 2up even works on there..... 

20211228_115445.jpg

20211228_115457.jpg

I just sold my 2013 Vector, and before that had a 2010 Apex. Having had the seat off many times, and knowing how the rear area is constructed, I'm not seeing any way you can safely mount any type of 2nd seat, a bit further complicated by the fact that it is a short track. Your wife will be seating on the rear foam area where the storage compartment is. I've seen a person do a day ride that way, but the rear person really had to hold on to the driver, as not much butt support to keep the passenger stable. Agree that the Yam forum may have something, but, again, I've never seen anything on a "single" sled.

Great motor, stupid fast, take it easy as you can literally pull the sled out from under you if you snap the throttle and aren't holding on.

Welcome.

Cheers

Thank you for the insite. You just confirmed what I feared most, now we do have to go buy a second sled lol :roll:

I don't see us trailering very far, at this point we will wait and see if we get any snow in D9 before adding much more to this one. 

I'm hoping I can get it out in the grass field yet this week to see how it runs, almost enough cover now for that. 

Welcome to the forum jd8430 and congratulations on your apex purchase. 

2 hours ago, Jd8430 said:

Thank you for the insite. You just confirmed what I feared most, now we do have to go buy a second sled lol :roll:

I don't see us trailering very far, at this point we will wait and see if we get any snow in D9 before adding much more to this one. 

I'm hoping I can get it out in the grass field yet this week to see how it runs, almost enough cover now for that. 

I did a little research on the SEAT JACK. I found this website  ( https://shop.algonquinequipment.ca/jack-industries-seat-jack-detail.htm?productid=18138272 )     for Algonquin Equipment that was advertising seat Jack parts and had the following parts breakdown in the ad:

T-RXJ

Aliases:

-

FITMENT: Yamaha , RS90 RS Vector , 2005 ||| Yamaha , RS90 RS Vector , 2006 ||| Yamaha , RS90GT Vector GT , 2006 ||| Yamaha , RS90GT Vector GT , 2007 ||| Yamaha , RS90GT Vector GT , 2008 ||| Yamaha , RS90GT Vector GT , 2009 ||| Yamaha , RS90GT Vector GT , 2010 ||| Yamaha , RS90GT Vector GT , 2011 ||| Yamaha , RS90GTA RS Vector 40th Anniv , 2008 ||| Yamaha , RS90LT RS Vector LTX , 2008 ||| Yamaha , RS90LT RS Vector LTX , 2009 ||| Yamaha , RS90LT RS Vector LTX , 2012 ||| Yamaha , RS90LT RS Vector LTX , 2013 ||| Yamaha , RS90LT RS Vector LTX , 2014 ||| Yamaha , RS90LT RS Vector LTX , 2015 ||| Yamaha , RS90LTGT RS Vector LT GT , 2009 ||| Yamaha , RS90LTGT RS Vector LTX GT , 2008 ||| Yamaha , RS90LTGT RS Vector LTX GT , 2009 ||| Yamaha , RS90LTGT RS Vector LTX GT , 2010 ||| Yamaha , RS90LTGT RS Vector LTX GT , 2011 ||| Yamaha , RS90M RS Vector Mountain , 2005 ||| Yamaha , RS90M RS Vector Mountain , 2006 ||| Yamaha , RS90M RS Vector Mountain , 2007 ||| Yamaha , RS90MS RS Vector Mountain SE , 2006 ||| Yamaha , RS90MS RS Vector Mountain SE , 2007 ||| Yamaha , RS90N Nytro , 2006 ||| Yamaha , RS90N Nytro , 2007 ||| Yamaha , RS90NR Nytro ER , 2006 ||| Yamaha , RS90NR Nytro ER , 2007 ||| Yamaha , RS90P RS Vector , 2015 ||| Yamaha , RS90R RS Vector , 2008 ||| Yamaha , RS90R RS Vector , 2009 ||| Yamaha , RS90R RS Vector , 2012 ||| Yamaha , RS90R RS Vector , 2013 ||| Yamaha , RS90R RS Vector , 2014 ||| Yamaha , RSG90 RS Rage , 2005 ||| Yamaha , RSG90 RS Rage , 2006 ||| Yamaha , RSG90 RS Rage , 2007 ||| Yamaha , RSG90GT RS Rage GT , 2007 ||| Yamaha , RX10 RX-1 , 2003 ||| Yamaha , RX10 RX-1 , 2004 ||| Yamaha , RX10 RX-1 , 2005 ||| Yamaha , X10GT Apex GT , 2006 ||| Yamaha , RX10GT Apex GT , 2007 ||| Yamaha , RX10GT Apex GT , 2008 ||| Yamaha , RX10GT Apex GT , 2009 ||| Yamaha , RX10GT Apex GT , 2010 ||| Yamaha , RX10GTA Apex GT 40th Anniv , 2008 ||| Yamaha , RX10LT Apex LTX , 2008 ||| Yamaha , RX10LT Apex LTX , 2009 ||| Yamaha , RX10LT Apex LTX , 2010 ||| Yamaha , RX10LTGT Apex LTX GT , 2008 ||| Yamaha , RX10LTGT Apex LTX GT , 2009 ||| Yamaha , RX10LTGT Apex LTX GT , 2010 ||| Yamaha , RX10LTGTA Apex LTX GT 40th Anniv , 2008 ||| Yamaha , RX10M Apex Mountain , 2006 ||| Yamaha , RX10M Apex Mountain 
OEM #: T-RXJ
DESCRIPTION: Side Rail for Seat Jack

The above part is for the side rail(s) that bolt to the side of the frame. I believe the actual seat bolts to those side rails. To me this means that a Seat Jack will likely fit on your sled. There are other parts including the actual seat that you would have to get your hands on.  At least you know now it is possible. that said, the Seat Jack is not as nice as a factory 2 up seat from a comfort and likely warmth standpoint. Hope this helps you out.

• Thanks 1

A Seat Jack came with my used Apex in 2014.

You could pick the sled up with it if required. Totally solid. Sled seat comes off, rails are mounted to the tunnel, Jack Seat comes on and off with 4 thumb screws in seconds. I have no pic of it mounted on this PC, but the rails are visible here. 

Diane had ridden on a 2-up sled briefly, a Venture, and found the Seat Jack on the Apex preferable. 

Make sure the seat is the same generation as your sled, and keep an eye on Kijiji and FB marketplace. The original ones come up from time to time. 

Set up the sag as best you can with 2 up, also get scratchers to add lube to the sliders which will be getting a workout.

Enjoy the Apex.  Diane has taken over ridership, and is absolutely thrilled with it.  

IMG_20200203_171414838_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are buying a used Seat Back on Kijiji you not only need to make sure not only the seat is the same generation as your sled as  Manotick Mike mentioned above, but you should use the website I posted above to check the charts to make sure the mounting rails will fit on your sled. Otherwise you may have to find new or used mounting hardware. 

I would suggest placing a wanted ad on Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace.

2 hours ago, manotickmike said:

A Seat Jack came with my used Apex in 2014.

You could pick the sled up with it if required. Totally solid. Sled seat comes off, rails are mounted to the tunnel, Jack Seat comes on and off with 4 thumb screws in seconds. I have no pic of it mounted on this PC, but the rails are visible here. 

Diane had ridden on a 2-up sled briefly, a Venture, and found the Seat Jack on the Apex preferable. 

Make sure the seat is the same generation as your sled, and keep an eye on Kijiji and FB marketplace. The original ones come up from time to time. 

Set up the sag as best you can with 2 up, also get scratchers to add lube to the sliders which will be getting a workout.

Enjoy the Apex.  Diane has taken over ridership, and is absolutely thrilled with it.  

IMG_20200203_171414838_HDR.jpg

I'm not seeing how that rail mounted, on top of the reflector trim? Unless you trim the trim? (My 2013 Vector LTX - same chasssis doesn't have much of a gap there?) (Just curious, as the Vector has gone to my Nephew for his son this year.)

20200410_113627.jpg