One finally came in!

ecarnell

I'm sure you're well experienced with this type of maintenance , but do not overfill a sealed bearing.   1/3 is the recommended.   At slow speeds this is a none issue, but at high speed the bearing can overheat,  and seals can fail.   This is caused by the bearing balls pushing/sliding rather than turning/spinning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think that overheating is likely going to be a major concern here.

1 hour ago, Candubrain said:

I'm sure you're well experienced with this type of maintenance , but do not overfill a sealed bearing.   1/3 is the recommended.   At slow speeds this is a none issue, but at high speed the bearing can overheat,  and seals can fail.   This is caused by the bearing balls pushing/sliding rather than turning/spinning.

I’m not too worried as can’t pack them that hard with them still on the sled and with only a needle on grease gun (to get under bearings best I can) and my thumb pushing /spreading grease then popping the seal back in - but point taken.  It’s 10 x better than the minimal and thin grease that comes with them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowchopper said:

Question ecarnell...Have you used those studs before? And if so how many kilometers did you put on them and how well did they last? Thanks....

Used them (similar) on a stock 2018 850 X 129”  ice cobra 1.6” . Was great for an experienced rider - but could use more studs for sure. Only had 97 stock I believe. No issues with them at all and still in great condition when sold sled at 8,100km.

The new 650 (less power), with a 137” storm track  (longer track ie. more contact area) and 240 igrip studs seems to be just fine (only 10 km on sled thus far) and will be a great set up for 6,000+ miles.

5 hours ago, lastzrt said:

Yes, same with Cat, used to be a grease fitting on the drive shaft, now they are just bearings. And all bearings have a variable life span.

Drive shaft - Track shaft

Jack shaft - Secondary clutch shaft

Thanks!

On 1/5/2022 at 9:26 AM, ecarnell said:

1.5 Storm. Putting in Igrips SS32R / SS28R today/tomorrow.

mines got the 1.6 cobra with pre drilled holes that I will install ST-25R (117)

Forgot to ask - did you upgrade the wearbars?

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

Forgot to ask - did you upgrade the wearbars?

On my 850 yes - shapers then Dooley's.

On 650 not yet , going to see how stock compares to the stock 850 XCR (8” carbide) before making any changes.

Just now, ecarnell said:

On my 850 yes - shapers then Dooley's.

On 650 not yet , going to see how stock compares to the stock 850 XCR (8” carbide) before making any changes.

I’m going back to running the Qualipieces Cobra heads this year on both our sleds. Hoping Karen likes them over the kimpex arrow skiis with dual carbides 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ecarnell said:

Used them (similar) on a stock 2018 850 X 129”  ice cobra 1.6” . Was great for an experienced rider - but could use more studs for sure. Only had 97 stock I believe. No issues with them at all and still in great condition when sold sled at 8,100km.

The new 650 (less power), with a 137” storm track  (longer track ie. more contact area) and 240 igrip studs seems to be just fine (only 10 km on sled thus far) and will be a great set up for 6,000+ miles.

Thanks for your reply. I've haven't known anyone to use them .Seems like a good option to regular studs.

2 hours ago, Nunz said:

I’m going back to running the Qualipieces Cobra heads this year on both our sleds. Hoping Karen likes them over the kimpex arrow skiis with dual carbides 

I made my own Cobra Heads using a stainless base plate to protect the plastic keel. Then 3/4 of a 6" Executive Woodys carbide with the back cut off behind the hard weld mounted through the base plate.  And finally a stainless front spoon welded on and bolted to the curve of the ski.  Zero darting ans all the bite of the single bar and deeper keel.  Easier steering due to less bar at the back pulling the handlebars straight all on the factory old plastic Cat skis.  Ran this design for years.

• Like 3

On 1/4/2022 at 8:12 PM, ecarnell said:

Sons VR1 picked up today from dealer  -

mine is still MIA (850 XCR)……”January” ship date,  if that means anything.

I may have to take his Up north for a couple of days next week, as he can’t get school time off!

0E528248-E935-4096-8864-BED38285E5ED.thumb.jpeg.9d6a5a5bbe2fe20cf9f00b4deea642f0.jpeg

C7AF3C3D-0516-47A3-AEB2-0209787A181B.thumb.jpeg.0836de6e0caafd1d8273910913414909.jpeg

Sweet ride. Lucky young lad.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

I made my own Cobra Heads using a stainless base plate to protect the plastic keel. Then 3/4 of a 6" Executive Woodys carbide with the back cut off behind the hard weld mounted through the base plate.  And finally a stainless front spoon welded on and bolted to the curve of the ski.  Zero darting ans all the bite of the single bar and deeper keel.  Easier steering due to less bar at the back pulling the handlebars straight all on the factory old plastic Cat skis.  Ran this design for years.

Wish I had that much talent, and enthusiasm for the 'hot' set up.

I tried a single carbides that had great turning ability but darted like hell.  I tried the doollys that didn't dart but plugged up with gravel crossing the roads and would not bite and turn.  I would see Cobra Heads on sleds and asked the riders how they liked them.  Then one day on the long drive to work, it came to me.

Use a thin 0.125" base plate to deepen and protect the skis all the way to the back from the gravel.

Use a Woodys 6" executive that turned so good.

Make the Cobra Head that worked like the old Polaris Easy Steer.

Put it all together in one system that was easy to make.

Shorten the rear of the bar to reduce the "Caster Lag" that makes the steering hard.

Here is how to do it for those who can fabricate.

IMG_3145.thumb.JPG.2870c1fa291ad7dcb70d3b5ae34cb694.JPG

IMG_3146.thumb.JPG.20da3fcc5ff93e792085394bc8d375ad.JPG

IMG_3147.thumb.JPG.72d4a0236885f4fbb4f8db39bc27d303.JPG

IMG_3150.thumb.JPG.e3063530f7da1c22344bcdbea38eba64.JPG

IMG_3152.thumb.JPG.8313efa9727816e5f8b058a03f463e92.JPGIMG_3154.thumb.JPG.c81ee3e1242c288c80fa70b36a26eecd.JPG

IMG_3155.thumb.JPG.b9e3ef52eb67f8d71d6f3d3dcaf97704.JPG

Now that is using the head for more than a hat rack.

When I think of all the money spent by people looking for some kind of steering utopia, I have to LMFAO.

C&A Pro's, Mohawks, SLP's, Curves, Pilot this and Pilot that, Stryker, adjustable carbides. Shimming this and shimming that. Any new gimmick to lighten the wallet of the average Joe.  The concept of steering in snow is not so hard.  It was done in the horse and cutter days.

The depth of the keel turns the sled in loose snow.

The depth and shape of the host bar turns the sled in hard packed snow.

The length and angle of the carbide inserts turn the sled on ice.

The "Cobra Head" rides over the ridges just like your old wooded toboggan and smooths the surface for the host bar to cut a new groove.

Those skis in the picture came on my 2001 Thundercat and had 24,980 miles on them when I sold the sled.  They will last forever if properly protected.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, volunteer2 said:

The snow trackers work real good buddy :ph34r:

Yes, they do, but they have a couple of their own drawbacks. Big Pussy is right on! Thanks, BP, for sharing your design. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Better late than never! Picked up the 850 this am.

hopefully heading north later this week!

have to put higher windshield and mirrors on when home. Dealer back ordered on tunnel protectors and HD rear springs .

1495E4CE-0B2F-4FE7-8320-EABEACF60B99.jpeg

3FC4A0E1-00BD-4A46-BC93-4455B2113D33.jpeg

793F3017-B25B-4E11-A45A-253DEA0479D2.jpeg

• Like 17

Well I understand our Summit's (RMK's) coming w/o windshields, but you have trail machines coming in these days w/o shields?

2 minutes ago, Ox said:

Well I understand our Summit's (RMK's) coming w/o windshields, but you have trail machines coming in these days w/o shields?

If you ordered with hand guards,  no windshield.

Or you order with mid windshield, no hand guards.

Costs more $ if you want both!!!!!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ecarnell said:

Better late than never! Picked up the 850 this am.

hopefully heading north later this week!

have to put higher windshield and mirrors on when home. Dealer back ordered on tunnel protectors and HD rear springs .

1495E4CE-0B2F-4FE7-8320-EABEACF60B99.jpeg

3FC4A0E1-00BD-4A46-BC93-4455B2113D33.jpeg

793F3017-B25B-4E11-A45A-253DEA0479D2.jpeg

Congrats on the new sled!! Looks great, call around for tunnel protectors, I think Peak and Rickwards's have them in stock last time I knew someone was looking for them. HS Springs may be a bit of a wait sadly though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nunz said:

Congrats on the new sled!! Looks great, call around for tunnel protectors, I think Peak and Rickwards's have them in stock last time I knew someone was looking for them. HS Springs may be a bit of a wait sadly though.

Thanks!

with snow conditions hooks up really really well ditch banging.

I describe the xcr 850 like the vr1 650 on steroids !!!!

9365815A-A00D-401E-AA4C-58EBCE2BD95B.jpeg

F759FBB8-9876-4DBE-BBC7-E0FE0909F310.jpeg

• Like 12

Beautiful ride this am from the backyard . Maybe last of the season if we get the rain we are calling for.

Down to cowbells for an early lunch .

besides the rear suspension and no studs yet  - this thing is better all around than the old 2018 mxzX 850x!

The 7s and tracking sleds is perfect for my son and I. So no nice to just glance down and know exactly where he is / crossed road no problem/ ect.

9D9C3FE0-B461-4854-B812-69D1F02B5206.jpeg

F81EF4AD-CBEF-414D-A139-0E6C95E1CADE.jpeg

A8CEDDCF-9830-4C4E-84E5-27791A91AF3B.jpeg

E5E45D60-056B-4AC8-B589-806F08D59EA7.jpeg

• Like 8