Tragety at the end of our trip

Puggz

Upon returning the the resort we were staying at we noticed that the ERT and Police were onsite. Turns out a young rider (17) lost her life. The news I received directly from the ERT was that the guy riding with her was in bad shape but after reading this article, I'm not sure if he survived or not. 

Its always sad to see people dying doing something they love but when its someone who had their entire life ahead of them its even more terrible. Life is precarious and sometimes you get away with it, and sometimes you don't.

Our sypathies go out to the families.

Snowmobile Fatality

• Sad 4

The report is confusing, I’m thinking the male passenger was okay based on minor injuries yet driver had critical injuries….might have typed he instead of she in error. 
Regardless though, very unfortunate. 

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

A 15 year old or so died in d9 last winter. I remember reading about that. Just lack of experience,  I believe causes these accidents. No more then that. Sad but it’s a part of life. I wonder if a tekvest would have helped in this situation. 

Lack of experience is certainly a factor in some crashes. Younger, less experienced riders should be on machines with much less than 100 HP, but too often they are on a friend or family member's sled that is too effing fast for them. Snowmobilers have to take this issue on and own it, before government gets involved and mandates something like graduated licenses. My condolences to these families(ON and PQ), regardless of what the causes were.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tricky said:

Lack of experience is certainly a factor in some crashes. Younger, less experienced riders should be on machines with much less than 100 HP, but too often they are on a friend or family member's sled that is too effing fast for them. Snowmobilers have to take this issue on and own it, before government gets involved and mandates something like graduated licenses. My condolences to these families(ON and PQ), regardless of what the causes were.

Even at 100 for a new rider is much…. add a +1 on the back, not good at all with assuming minimal experience, icy corners, etc,…

But sledding is a risky activity no matter age, experience, conditions, etc…

Perhaps a law is needed. If you know me I hate more regulation, BUT, at times it makes sense. How about no more than 60 hp until you have five seasons under your belt as a youth. 60 hp can still get a kid into trouble, but no where near as quickly as can 150 hp. I do understand some kids 16 years old can and do handle high power with no issues, but we are on trails with a 50kmh limit, 70 in QC, so in reality, 100kmh is more than enough top end speed for any kid. Heck, I could have a great day on a 600 ace.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, zoso said:

Perhaps a law is needed. If you know me I hate more regulation, BUT, at times it makes sense. How about no more than 60 hp until you have five seasons under your belt as a youth. 60 hp can still get a kid into trouble, but no where near as quickly as can 150 hp. I do understand some kids 16 years old can and do handle high power with no issues, but we are on trails with a 50kmh limit, 70 in QC, so in reality, 100kmh is more than enough top end speed for any kid. Heck, I could have a great day on a 600 ace.

Well said.  IMO, just like smoking,  drinking its a choice. It's not the machine.  Rules, regulations,  enforcement and training and choices. 

Condolences to the family.

When I was picking up my sled from dealer the salesman said be careful on the trails. It’s going to be crazy with the number of new riders on high powered sleds and no respect.

And you have to factor in high horsepower not trail friendly sleds in some cases.   How many long track big paddle track narrow front end sleds have been sold to young kids to go offtrail?  These poor handling sleds will become missiles on the trails as young Chris Burandt wannabes search out their next location for a little pow pow and their next YouTube video!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sksman said:

When I was picking up my sled from dealer the salesman said be careful on the trails. It’s going to be crazy with the number of new riders on high powered sleds and no respect.

And you have to factor in high horsepower not trail friendly sleds in some cases.   How many long track big paddle track narrow front end sleds have been sold to young kids to go offtrail?  These poor handling sleds will become missiles on the trails as young Chris Burandt wannabes search out their next location for a little pow pow and their next YouTube video!

X2...

Until you have all the facts in issue, speculating on how this tragedy happened is unnecessary and also disrespectful to the family. 

38 minutes ago, Sksman said:

There were plenty of that last year - more than I have experienced to date and many of riders appeared to not be younger ones, albeit hard to tell on a corner where a sled is on the wrong side coming straight at you with a helmet on while I am trying to maneuver out of the way to avoid collision.

Last year was a year that I really liked getting out early and back at the truck by noon with 100miles on the odometer when the trails really picked up.

32 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

Until you have all the facts in issue, speculating on how this tragedy happened is unnecessary and also disrespectful to the family. 

I think the discussion is surrounding the general thoughts of accidents and not so much specific to this one or making assumption about the unknown regarding the details of it.

Each year there is usually same thoughts and discussions about these - and hand signals too actually.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, zoso said:

That's why I ordered a 600 ACE for any first time riders.  Kids should not be out on their own on high powered sleds.  In a group would be where they get experience and comfort with the higher hp machines.

Sad news.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

That's why I ordered a 600 ACE for any first time riders.  Kids should not be out on their own on high powered sleds.  In a group would be where they get experience and comfort with the higher hp machines.

Sad news.

I think with a Doo you can get a dess key programmed so it detunes the sled as well :wtf:

12 minutes ago, stoney said:

I think the discussion is surrounding the general thoughts of accidents and not so much specific to this one or making assumption about the unknown regarding the details of it.

Each year there is usually same thoughts and discussions about these - and hand signals too actually.

X2

4 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Not if your Dess security is not working, like most if not all of the new '22's.  @Mrs Turbo Doo 2018 Blizzard 900 had a learner key, which controlled top speed, throttle input etc, as well as the normal key.

Well, lets not talked about the 2022 - this is a year for all the manufactures as one that has not gone too well.

Sad to hear.. Another female lost her life near Lac saint Jean area.. Need to take a step back and relax while riding..

• Sad 2

These early season fatalities should be a reminder to even the most experienced of us, that we are not above the laws of physics, hence the wisdom of WinderFab's advice. We are all so super excited to hit the trail, and beat back the melancholy of the past year, that it might be easy to get too aggressive. Have a blast, but come back home. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, tricky said:

These early season fatalities should be a reminder to even the most experienced of us, that we are not above the laws of physics, hence the wisdom of WinderFab's advice. We are all so super excited to hit the trail, and beat back the melancholy of the past year, that it might be easy to get too aggressive. Have a blast, but come back home. 

Going to be ice that is going to cause some riders some grief in next 3 or so weeks. Won’t be just sledders either that will need to be rescued. Guaranteed 😂