Abitibi Canyon Updates

Turbo Doo

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

They are giving the impression to people that the trail is open.    No one is trailering up there.    If you trailered up there, why would you need gas?  

Advertising themselves as open has nothing to do with the trails, actually, in at least 3 spots on there posts they've commented saying this does not mean trails are open and to follow what OFSC releases on trail availability 

2 hours ago, scottyr said:

They are giving the impression to people that the trail is open.    No one is trailering up there.    If you trailered up there, why would you need gas?  

Plus riding in the Canyon is not really stellar yet anyways. It's a joke.

• Like 1

I'm not following the guide, but in following this thread, I was under the assumption that one side of the loop was open, and one side .... grey area at best.

Isn't the one side fully open?

@Ox, the Cochrane Side has been groomed and was listed as open. The issues with riders not obeying the wishes of logging sections etc, I.E, slowing down and being respectful of equipment etc, among other issues, has had  the Cochrane Side listed as unavailable.  Arctic Riders from SRF have I think made a pass with the groomer , but that's it. 

As of now, I see that PBR Riders has it open up to the Trappers Creek area as of now..

Screenshot_20220108-190606_Go Snowmobiling Ontario!.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I knew there was an issue with the loggers, but I didn't realize that they closed it already!

I thought that they were posting a concern.

What's the issue with SRF?

They're just running up the hydro - aint they?

Just lack of help?

39 minutes ago, Ox said:

I knew there was an issue with the loggers, but I didn't realize that they closed it already!

I thought that they were posting a concern.

What's the issue with SRF?

They're just running up the hydro - aint they?

Just lack of help?

Hydro Line, yes.  Volunteers,  Time etc. 1 groomer also iirc for SRF. They have also been working on there section of C south 

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

Hydro Line, yes.  Volunteers,  Time etc. 1 groomer also iirc for SRF. They have also been working on there section of C south 

So what are you saying, the system is run by volunteers, that have jobs, families and a life

Hard to imagine, Surely these volunteers dont actually own a sled and like to put a few k on themselves 

Likely get free permits

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, GTC said:

So what are you saying, the system is run by volunteers, that have jobs, families and a life

Hard to imagine, Surely these volunteers dont actually own a sled and like to put a few k on themselves 

Likely get free permits

No free permits for us volunteers here in Muskoka! Also use my own atv & gas!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Several inches of fresh snow in Cochrane this morning 👍

E00CDBFD-F661-4E8D-8F0A-FBF038A021D5.jpeg

• Like 9

15 hours ago, Muskoka1 said:

Same here in D1. Actually less ATV use this year as low snow allowed trucks to cross most fields, but old truck uses more gas, warmer though. 

On 1/7/2022 at 8:05 PM, Ox said:

Insurance on trucks?

$5000 ins for what?

Liability?

I doubt they are going to (willing to) pay much for fire/theft eh?

Are they even cooking anything?

Trucks or cars need to deliver their supplies to base camp parking to be available for final delivery. Liability insurance is a minimum $5,000.00. We are talking Canadian dollars here Ox. Insurance and government rules are something unheard of by most people. Business people have to adhere to the rules. That all costs money. 
Owners and employees don’t want to work for free and their cars, trucks, houses and families eat up a lot of dollars. If all the money that went through my business stuck to my fingers, I would be a very wealthy man. 

• Like 3

Isn't that hut on Res property?

I still am not following your truck ins thing?

Is there some other truck or ins line item for being parked or driven to the dam?

I've been there in my buddy's 'Burban and I'm purty sure that he didn't have anything special.

Who's buying anything special for this application?

I don't git'cher train of thought here.

21 hours ago, Muskoka1 said:

No free permits for sure     I use my equipment too     I cringe though when things could go side ways     

11 minutes ago, Ox said:

Is there some other truck or ins line item for being parked or driven to the dam?

I've been there in my buddy's 'Burban and I'm purty sure that he didn't have anything special.

Insurance in this country has a license to print money  just tell them you are doing anything commercial   to make a buck and the target on  your back just gets way bigger  

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ox said:

My gut tells me that this is one of their biggest expenses.     I am sure that they pay some pretty big lease rates to the Band to park that trailer there.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ox said:

If you are using your personal pick up or vehicle  for any commercial use such as hauling supplies to camp and from camp you will pay based on reported mileage use for business.   Even picking up a broken sled for a customer may qualify.  

if they were using personal vehicles and not claiming business or commercial use and they get in an accident then insurance could cancel their coverage.  

Imagine being on the hook for damages or personal injury.

And getting insurance coverage in Canada once previously cancelled moves you to high risk insurance.  

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Ox said:

Supplies etc. don’t get there by themselves Ox. Except for babies, everything gets delivered by truck. If you take it off your own property, it is a $1,000.00 insurance bill. Even a 1ton truck has a license plate sticker cost of at least $278.00 per year. Business costs add up quickly in this country. That is why so many are closing and moving south. 

• Like 2

Well, I have two 1 ton trucks, but I have no clue what they cost.

I haven't handled the day to day $ here in 25 yrs.

51 minutes ago, scottyr said:

My gut tells me that this is one of their biggest expenses.     I am sure that they pay some pretty big lease rates to the Band to park that trailer there.  

Ya. What are the lease rates these days in Sauble ?

8 minutes ago, stoney said:

Apparently enough to make people walk away from the cottages they owned on leased land.....:coffeenose:

Lots for sale this summer. And with the times all getting sold it seems.  Lots of money 

Couch, are in manufacturing?

10 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

Lots for sale this summer. And with the times all getting sold it seems.  Lots of money 

It has been a crazy year for real estate....no issues selling it seems - it also seems many of the cottages are sold with the intent for rental properties/income....

However I was referring to a few years ago when I heard the lease rates went way up in that area on the native lands and people were walking away before the cottage market took off.

• Like 1