Abitibi Canyon Updates

Turbo Doo

one point that I have been made aware of by this forum   is the OFSC seems to rely on these locations for the groomer fuel and stay over for the operators    It is what it is I guess    but  if these places are not open the trail goes red   not what the travelling riders want     

30 minutes ago, scottyr said:

As mentioned above, if the Base Camp needs $6/L gas to survive, then it should just close.    Their business plan doesnt work at those prices.   

Gas at Halfway Haven was $3.50 when I was there the day before it closed for comparison.    

Half way was too cheap for amount of work they did. 60 km road I pay 6 bucks there no problem. I had a chat with owner of camp conawago a few years ago. He told me insurance, cost to maintain the tank, they barely break even on fuel. Only there for a connivence of sledders and atviers and they found fuel brings in customers. 
I can’t comment on base camp prices since I don’t know how they get fuel in there or what is involved. Maybe fuel company charges them 1 a litre to bring it in, don’t know. That’s a long way off beaten path to delivery fuel. Our farm is on a route and we don’t have gas. I can get it cheaper at fuel stations in area, due to competition. 

On 3/6/2022 at 10:25 AM, Turbo Doo said:

The biggest issue with the La Reine Trail, is convincing the Quebec clubs to help out as well. Not as many riders coming from Quebec into Ontario,  as there are Ontario Riders going into Quebec.  That's always been the issue. 

La Reine is right on the border.  The trail on the Quebec side is still open.  Why would the Quebec club need to help?  Ontario looks after Ontario and the Quebec side looks to still be operational.

40 minutes ago, signfan said:

La Reine is right on the border.  The trail on the Quebec side is still open.  Why would the Quebec club need to help?  Ontario looks after Ontario and the Quebec side looks to still be operational.

I wonder if it might have something to do with groomer fuel requirements?

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Half way was too cheap for amount of work they did. 60 km road I pay 6 bucks there no problem. I had a chat with owner of camp conawago a few years ago. He told me insurance, cost to maintain the tank, they barely break even on fuel. Only there for a connivence of sledders and atviers and they found fuel brings in customers. 
I can’t comment on base camp prices since I don’t know how they get fuel in there or what is involved. Maybe fuel company charges them 1 a litre to bring it in, don’t know. That’s a long way off beaten path to delivery fuel. Our farm is on a route and we don’t have gas. I can get it cheaper at fuel stations in area, due to competition. 

I agree.    HH could be charging $5/L and I wouldnt argue at all.   There is a well maintained 2 lane highway that delivers fuel to Base Camp and the Hydro plant will need fuel constantly as well.    Other than the drive itself there and back, it really isnt hard to get fuel delivered there.   

The guys at Base Camp are shooting themselves in the foot (and wallet) with all the chirping off they did early in the season and are now alienating a lot of customers.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scottyr said:

As mentioned above, if the Base Camp needs $6/L gas to survive, then it should just close.    Their business plan doesnt work at those prices.   

Gas at Halfway Haven was $3.50 when I was there the day before it closed for comparison.    

Is halfway as remote as base camp? I’m dam near certain that base camp is coming out on top with prices up to and north of 6$ per litre. Perhaps they are finding more and more are not stopping for as much fuel with newer sleds getting quite a bit better mileage? 

1 minute ago, T bird said:

Is halfway as remote as base camp? I’m dam near certain that base camp is coming out on top with prices up to and north of 6$ per litre. Perhaps they are finding more and more are not stopping for as much fuel with newer sleds getting quite a bit better mileage? 

Halfway Haven has to maintain 60kms of road themselves with their own equipment.  No MTO crews plowing that road like the road to Base Camp.   

As I mentioned, I didnt have a problem making a "donation" at $4/L and probably even to $5, but when it hit $6/L a few weeks ago, that crossed the line for me and I used my Linq can.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, scottyr said:

Halfway Haven has to maintain 60kms of road themselves with their own equipment.  No MTO crews plowing that road like the road to Base Camp.   

As I mentioned, I didnt have a problem making a "donation" at $4/L and probably even to $5, but when it hit $6/L a few weeks ago, that crossed the line for me and I used my Linq can.  

My dad always use to say that canyon loop was just setup to sell food, gas and motels in Cochrane. We had more fun going to a destination such as Hearst or kap etc, then running canyon. Now it’s even more reason to avoid it. Nothing really up there unless you are on off trail rider. No where else to go if it gets torn up in morning with all long track wannaba’s you are stuck riding beat up trail back to Cochrane too. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, scottyr said:

I agree.    HH could be charging $5/L and I wouldnt argue at all.   There is a well maintained 2 lane highway that delivers fuel to Base Camp and the Hydro plant will need fuel constantly as well.    Other than the drive itself there and back, it really isnt hard to get fuel delivered there.   

The guys at Base Camp are shooting themselves in the foot (and wallet) with all the chirping off they did early in the season and are now alienating a lot of customers.    

Is the road to base camp the one that crosses the ice bridge where the ferry is ?  Does that road start in Cochrane or smooth rock.  I haven't been up there in a long time.  I remember they were bringing fuel in 45 gallon barrels on a trailer that day 

1 hour ago, volunteer2 said:

Is the road to base camp the one that crosses the ice bridge where the ferry is ?  Does that road start in Cochrane or smooth rock.  I haven't been up there in a long time.  I remember they were bringing fuel in 45 gallon barrels on a trailer that day 

The road to the base camp is “hwy” 634 running from smooth rock. It only crosses the river at the top via the actual dam. 

“hwy” 579 is the one that crosses the via the gardiner ferry from Cochrane. Not sure where it goes, looks like to some camps and lakes. But maybe some development was back there at one time?

• Thanks 1

The first time we went up in 04 or 05 there was no trail on the west side     We went up and back on the same trail   We had a machine go down at the canyon and it was brought back on the  trailer after the drums of fuel were unloaded    I thought the fuel truck for base camp and the generating station just used the 579   

2 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

The first time we went up in 04 or 05 there was no trail on the west side     We went up and back on the same trail   We had a machine go down at the canyon and it was brought back on the  trailer after the drums of fuel were unloaded    I thought the fuel truck for base camp and the generating station just used the 579   

Nope it's hwy 634 from Smooth Rock.  I drove it last winter with work.  It is a paved plowed well maintained highway to within 10 miles of base camp.  Then it's good gov't maintained gravel road right to there door.  No doubt it's is a challenge for the clubs to groom due to the distance involved.  Base Camp is a remote gas station that has to cover overheads in a short season (3 - 4 months).  No one is saying fuel shouldn't collect a premium.  But not anywhere even close to what they're charging.  And the way they deal with ppl is not ok.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked this am and the Abitibi Loop is showing red on the ITG and at the same time the Base Camp guys are posting on FB to come on up and the trails are good?   

Likely just means that they are done grooming.

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

Just checked this am and the Abitibi Loop is showing red on the ITG and at the same time the Base Camp guys are posting on FB to come on up and the trails are good?   

And last week they were saying they were done April 1

16 minutes ago, Ox said:

Likely just means that they are done grooming.

If the trail is red - it is closed.    

• Like 2

It's not really that simple.

It doesn't mean that you are not allowed there by law.

Is it on Crown?

I ass_u_me that the east side is at least?

The west side is likely Crown that has an easement from the Hydro?

Which is still Crown?

In Algoma area, a green trail mostly means that you now need a permit, or a local camp to be here. 

When it's red - you can be there with anything that you want. (if it's Crown)

Snowmachine (in June if you like), Camper, Swamp Buggy (those guys can doo a lot of damage ina  short time!) Camper, even a transport if you like.

Also means that the OFSC isn't liable for any damage.

Forget the fact that it's Ride at'cher own risk anyhow ... 

I'm guessing that the day that Halfway said that they were closing for the season, that the trails all went red in that area. 

With the report of all that new snow and closed trails - If I had the ability to scootch accrost the St. Mary's River, I'd'a been there in a heartbeat! (or maybe 9 hours of them anyhow)

• Like 1

as long as you are vaxed @Ox, you can cross now... no pre-testing to come into Canada anymore, since Friday April 1st.

guessing they will drop the vax mandate, but, ask for pre-cross testing to prove you are not sick, sometime in the near future. Ski

4 hours ago, scottyr said:

That’s why they posting cause they know it is closed and wanted to let everyone know they are still up there. I don’t endorse riding closed trails but at same time it sounds like they have fuel left they want to move and conditions are still favourable to ride they claim. Kudos to them for staying up there until the end. 

32 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

as long as you are vaxed @Ox, you can cross now... no pre-testing to come into Canada anymore, since Friday April 1st.

guessing they will drop the vax mandate, but, ask for pre-cross testing to prove you are not sick, sometime in the near future. Ski

I understand that some folks can cross, but - as over 50% of the folks (on either side likely) I don't meet the needed criteria.

I fully expect to be able to cross soon. But couldn't a few weeks ago when I would have wanted to.

2 hours ago, Ox said:

as over 50% of the folks (on either side likely) I don't meet the needed criteria.

Actually Ox, as of last Thursday evening, 85.8% of Ontario people over the age of 5 are considered fully vaccinated which means they have had 2 doses and 48.4% have had the third dose according to Covid-19 Tracker Canada. 89.7% have received one dose.

• Like 2

So then, what's to be concerned for?

(Monkey barrel)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ox said:

So then, what's to be concerned for?

(Monkey barrel)

Good question but above my pay grade.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Actually Ox, as of last Thursday evening, 85.8% of Ontario people over the age of 5 are considered fully vaccinated which means they have had 2 doses and 48.4% have had the third dose according to Covid-19 Tracker Canada. 89.7% have received one dose.

Reading that again, it sounds like 50% on your side don't meet the requirements either. No?

7 hours ago, Ox said:

Reading that again, it sounds like 50% on your side don't meet the requirements either. No?

Fully vaccinated in Canada means 2 shots. 3 shots is referred to as "up to date".

• Like 1