Abitibi Canyon Updates

Turbo Doo

gas went from $ 2.58 more per liter to $4.28 more per liter than premium in Cochrane. Logistics is an issue, profit isn't a dirty word, but that makes no sense. If this is what it takes to be profitable up there, I would call it unachievable. I would not be able to look anyone in the eye.  I do not have a very good impression from this punk, just from his social media interaction. Glad I frequented that trail and loop in the past, I don't think I will be up there again unless I pack my own fuel n viddles.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Wildman said:

gas went from $ 2.58 more per liter to $4.28 more per liter than premium in Cochrane. Logistics is an issue, profit isn't a dirty word, but that makes no sense. If this is what it takes to be profitable up there, I would call it unachievable. I would not be able to look anyone in the eye.  I do not have a very good impression from this punk, just from his social media interaction. Glad I frequented that trail and loop in the past, I don't think I will be up there again unless I pack my own fuel n viddles.

I have always supported them, bought gas, hotdog, fuel, left them a fair tip for being up there, after this season I am in not in any rush to do the loop especially with the issues on the west side as quite enjoy playing in the powder but not riding on a plowed dirt covered road though.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Crow said:

From my understanding, when they don’t have gas they the trail gets closed. I guess it’s more of a safety issue (liability)

Others with more/ better information can chime in.

Yes the trail must be closedif there isn't fuel. Same goes for Halfway haven, as we have seen. Very remote areas, far from services.. 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Wildman said:

IDK, maybe people are buying less fuel because they can go further on the new sleds and most carry some fuel anyway, this could cause less profit inducing a price increase. It just seem excessive.

Well, that is the killer at Halfway as well.

When Steve and Dennis put that in in '99, every sled that came through the yard was taking 8.5-9 gallons. 

If you were pushing any snow, you ran out a cpl klicks from the pump.

Fuel was bringing home the bacon (Enjoli? ) and everyone through helped to finance it, but now days?

• Like 3

Ha! But it is only regular. Either way there are no roads to town besides the ice road. I was told that gas travels by the train up to Moosonee when we were there. So way better deal for fuel in Moosonee!

• Like 2

I have never been to Base Camp.  Been to Cochrane a couple times now.

I have no problem supporting a small business that is run smartly.  Hell I would be happy to donate cash to the place.

But based on what I have read and $6/litre gas forget it.  I will never make the trip!

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Sksman said:

I have no problem supporting a small business that is run smartly.  Hell I would be happy to donate cash to the place.

But based on what I have read and $6/litre gas forget it.  I will never make the trip!

I agree.  Enough is enough with these clowns.  Polar Bear riders should consider something else.  Re-open the trail to Quebec and close the loop.  Focus on keeping the main trails smooth when they get the x-mas and end of season influx of traffic.  If it can't be kept up to good standards and riders aren't going to be treated fairly close it.  I get a buck or a buck and a half premium due to location.  Not $4.  That's extortion.  These guys deserve to have the trail pulled.  You don't see Halfway Haven, Pavillon La Verendyre, Kanata, Auberge du lac Faillon, etc acting like this.  Most of these lodges have it way tougher (they have to plow their own roads) and are doing a much better job.  I've been to Base camp twice.  Both times left with a really bad taste in my mouth over the way it's ran.  Will not be back.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Sksman said:

I agree, and I don't expect them to justify the price of fuel to me or anyone else, I have just had a real hard time getting my head wrapped around it. When I saw the price of fuel in Moosenee. I was actually shocked, I was expecting it to be more, considered it gets there by rail, has to be unloaded and I assume be trucked to the fuel station. It also doesn't carry as much tax as I believe it is a reservation.  Really the only one that has to justify the price is the customer, and that isn't me and it looks like many do justify it, and that is great. It keeps a loop open and it is well used, and really thats all that matters. Sometimes I get a little analytical.

• Like 2

When you look at the hotels in and around Cochrane, Smoothrock, Kap. Etc. You would think the local businesses would all help to keep the Canyon Loop open.   

Every hotel will will be plugged solid for the next month there.   And all sledders spending big cash.  Bigger this year with outrageous gas prices.

Why is keeping the canyon loop open the responsibility of the sledders only?

And wait any day we will hear of $7/litre or $8/litre at Base camp!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, signfan said:

I agree.  Enough is enough with these clowns.  Polar Bear riders should consider something else.  Re-open the trail to Quebec and close the loop.  Focus on keeping the main trails smooth when they get the x-mas and end of season influx of traffic.  If it can't be kept up to good standards and riders aren't going to be treated fairly close it.  I get a buck or a buck and a half premium due to location.  Not $4.  That's extortion.  These guys deserve to have the trail pulled.  You don't see Halfway Haven, Pavillon La Verendyre, Kanata, Auberge du lac Faillon, etc acting like this.  Most of these lodges have it way tougher (they have to plow their own roads) and are doing a much better job.  I've been to Base camp twice.  Both times left with a really bad taste in my mouth over the way it's ran.  Will not be back.

Well said. Although the Halfway Haven issues are the owners as well imo. 

Does basecamp lease the piece of land up there or own it?

16 hours ago, signfan said:

From the Google Earth satellite maps it looks like the old trail to La Reine has become a well used road and in one area apppears to be used as a logging road.

https://earth.google.com/web/@48.90996597,-80.13426274,244.02533587a,109661.96404902d,35y,-0.00000014h,2.05809612t,-0r/data=CkkaRxJBCiUweDRiMGQwM2QzMzdjYzZhZDk6MHg5OTY4YjcyYWEyNDM4ZmE1GVJBRdWvEExAIeAM_n4xllrAKgZDYW5hZGEYASAB

I agree that the base camp appears to no longer be an inviting place to visit.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, signfan said:

I agree.  Enough is enough with these clowns.  Polar Bear riders should consider something else.  Re-open the trail to Quebec and close the loop. 

That would be neat   We took that trail back in 08 or so    I see the trail on the Quebec side is at La Reine  and of course on to La Sarre  But I am sure putting OFSC resources towards a trail leaving the province may be a bit political ?

23 hours ago, Wildman said:

I agree, and I don't expect them to justify the price of fuel to me or anyone else, I have just had a real hard time getting my head wrapped around it. When I saw the price of fuel in Moosenee. I was actually shocked, I was expecting it to be more, considered it gets there by rail, has to be unloaded and I assume be trucked to the fuel station. It also doesn't carry as much tax as I believe it is a reservation.  Really the only one that has to justify the price is the customer, and that isn't me and it looks like many do justify it, and that is great. It keeps a loop open and it is well used, and really thats all that matters. Sometimes I get a little analytical.

Actually, I am purty sure that they just load a fuel truck on the train and unload it on the other end, fill the petro station, and load it back up and go home. It's not THAT involved...

Well, I'm not one for sugar coating, but that A103 should be condemned. 

The trail is never at a condition where "Extortion Camp" can justify the price of fuel they charge. 

What a joke this POI is, poorly managed for the services provided, every year there is BS for poor conditions /fuel purchase criteria WTF.... Waste of time and money. 

1 minute ago, NO1B4ME said:

Well, I'm not one for sugar coating, but that A103 should be condemned. 

The trail is never at a condition where "Extortion Camp" can justify the price of fuel they charge. 

What a joke this POI is, poorly managed for the services provided, every year there is BS for poor conditions /fuel purchase criteria WTF.... Waste of time and money. 

On Tuesday , A103 was a great trail. , very fast . Nice powder on the side. Better than the last three times I’ve been on it actually in last 2 years. 
given past temps - I’m sure most trails are marginal at best , as most not grooming with positive temps.

note:

i may have made another ‘ fuel caddy ‘ (as we had two sleds) to avoid stopping in to fill up….

(dumped fuel in at the 85km shack stop)

79E39454-B00F-4631-8DCC-067F2F2CB8DA.thumb.jpeg.2010e8c60dfc2ff0c6fa9d3b3022fd91.jpeg

• Like 1

Come on, that guys doing what they can and I'm glad to see base camp and always bring some cash to a local business 

Thank you for great season 

31 minutes ago, andreyboater said:

Come on, that guys doing what they can and I'm glad to see base camp and always bring some cash to a local business 

Thank you for great season 

Sorry at $6 a litre it's highway robbery.  Plain and simple.  

• Like 3

As mentioned above, if the Base Camp needs $6/L gas to survive, then it should just close.    Their business plan doesnt work at those prices.   

Gas at Halfway Haven was $3.50 when I was there the day before it closed for comparison.    

• Like 2