Abitibi Canyon Updates

Turbo Doo

Looks like the Smooth Rock side has now opened to the top now too.

Loop is fully open now.

• Like 4

i checked the canyon base camp  on facebook  and not one thankyou from them for clubs getting trail open 🤔.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wrightonalan said:

i checked the canyon base camp  on facebook  and not one thankyou from them for clubs getting trail open 🤔.

The trails been 'open' for a while.  Basecamp owners have been the biggest issue, always have been since they took over from Bill Froud. Hats off to both PBR Riders and Arctic Riders clubs and volunteers for working tiressly each season to get that loop open. After the Basecamps attitude and social media posts this year, they deserve no customers.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

The trails been 'open' for a while.  Basecamp owners have been the biggest issue, always have been since they took over from Bill Froud. Hats off to both PBR Riders and Arctic Riders clubs and volunteers for working tiressly each season to get that loop open. After the Basecamps attitude and social media posts this year, they deserve no customers.  

my thoughts exactly 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

if i was on either one of those clubs executive, I would make a motion to close that trail. That business relies solely on a volunteer club to run both ventures, base camp and extreme. The way they treat those two clubs is ridiculous. With the amount of traffic they are seeing in recent years their efforts would be far more valuable looking after the rest of their trail system with more frequent grooming possible without wasting resources on those fools. That loop does not make or break those clubs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

well today base camp did thank the clubs on there facebook page .good on them after there bashing.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2022 at 5:03 PM, Turbo Doo said:

There are two identifying key issues I see in just straight up closing that loop.   

One being, everyone comes to cochrane to enjoy that loop. 

Two, it would definitely have a negative impact on local businesses in Cochrane. Food, gas, accomidations. 

I think this is the key as to why Kenny and the Crew, work so hard to keep it going. Not so much for Basecamp.  

I had the pleasure to ride back country up to the Canyon several years ago with Bill Froud. He was very much easier to deal with.. You don't need the ofsc trails to be there, to get there. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Yukon said:

There are two identifying key issues I see in just straight up closing that loop.   

One being, everyone comes to cochrane to enjoy that loop. 

Two, it would definitely have a negative impact on local businesses in Cochrane. Food, gas, accomidations. 

I think this is the key as to why Kenny and the Crew, work so hard to keep it going. Not so much for Basecamp.  

I had the pleasure to ride back country up to the Canyon several years ago with Bill Froud. He was very much easier to deal with.. You don't need the ofsc trails to be there, to get there. 

Well said  @Yukon , i agree with you %100...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

SRF side is limited,  due to,  OPG plowing a section for access.  Just a heads up.. 

When we head up there soon I may just go up and down the east side instead as much as I like playing in the powder, not interested in riding plowed areas.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I just did the full loop and the west side has more than 4kms of road running due to Hydro work going on.   80% of the west side was good but hasn’t seen a groomer in a long time.   

The east side was pretty good but got pretty bumpy for the last 50kms coming into Cochrane.    Probably the worst condition that I have seen that trail before.  

The biggest issue for me is that gas is now $6/L at the Base Camp.    That may have just hit the tipping point for a lot of guys.  I didn’t mind spending $40 for 10L last year but $60 to be handed a 2 gallon can is getting crazy.     I hate to say it but this was the first time ever that I didn’t buy gas but Instead dumped my Linq can in at one of the warm up shacks.   

Based on the price of gas and the condition of the trail itself I don’t think I would bother running it again if I came back up in March.  

A7625A86-E48D-4C83-B927-4C21D6243528.jpeg

• Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I just did the full loop and the west side has more than 4kms of road running due to Hydro work going on.   80% of the west side was good but hasn’t seen a groomer in a long time.   

The east side was pretty good but got pretty bumpy for the last 50kms coming into Cochrane.    Probably the worst condition that I have seen that trail before.  

The biggest issue for me is that gas is now $6/L at the Base Camp.    That may have just hit the tipping point for a lot of guys.  I didn’t mind spending $40 for 10L last year but $60 to be handed a 2 gallon can is getting crazy.     I hate to say it but this was the first time ever that I didn’t buy gas but Instead dumped my Linq can in at one of the warm up shacks.   

Based on the price of gas and the condition of the trail itself I don’t think I would bother running it again if I came back up in March.  

Thanks for the heads up scottyr. With the price increase up there, and reports on trail last night that Smooth Rock out of gas saves me heading up, disappointing but lots of trails around in great shape to explore.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, scottyr said:

There was a comment posted that gas was "mandatory "  10 litres  or minum 10 litres      not sure  correct me please     it is an OFSC  trail  so not sure about that        

volunteer2, I only know that if you buy gas from them, the 10L minimum comes into effect. Their business, their policy. I know lots of guys can make it around, but when I have been there I bought gas to support the cause. 

From my understanding, when they don’t have gas they the trail gets closed. I guess it’s more of a safety issue (liability)

Others with more/ better information can chime in.

23 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

There was a comment posted that gas was "mandatory "  10 litres  or minum 10 litres      not sure  correct me please     it is an OFSC  trail  so not sure about that        

Can’t make you buy gas but can say 10L minimum applies when you do.  Sounds like a cash cow now but I don’t know the fundamentals behind it. Always thought loop existed to sell rooms and gas in Cochrane and smooth rock. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Can’t make you buy gas but can say 10L minimum applies when you do.  Sounds like a cash cow now but I don’t know the fundamentals behind it. Always thought loop existed to sell rooms and gas in Cochrane and smooth rock. 

We are thinkin of one more north trip but with these reports the canyon will be off the plan   The fuel for me probably isnt and issue    14 litres in the can     but trail conditions are  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

We are thinkin of one more north trip but with these reports the canyon will be off the plan   The fuel for me probably isnt and issue    14 litres in the can     but trail conditions are  

Why trail conditions suffering up there? Seemed like less grooming in south too while we were open as well, or was it just me? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Why trail conditions suffering up there? Seemed like less grooming in south too while we were open as well, or was it just me? 

Well this could be part of issues. Smooth rock had a groomer stuck and some breakdowns. Also there is hydro working on west side. As for east side, there is logging at one part. And on top of it they’ve got lots of snow so likely trying to keep ahead of the already busy flow of sleds in and out of town. Furthermore after the lil debacle that ensued earlier in the season between everyone, they likely aren’t going to rush to do the canyon tour. 

• Thanks 1