Abitibi Canyon Updates

Turbo Doo

I forgot to mention:

I searched Facebook and Google for extreme tours, but couldn't find anything.

Anyone wunna post up some links?

4 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

The 2 Clubs, Basecamp Ownership and the District we're suppose to have a meeting. That's all I'll say in regards to the issues. 

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

According to a Base Camp source, the parties met today, and have resolved the immediate issues...... let's hope so.

3 hours ago, Ox said:

I find some of the comments here quite cornfusing....

Some wish it was still the remote designation that it once was.

Others think that the place should be ran jist like the 711 a 2 block walk from their house in the city.

Well, I aint from no city, that's fer sure, but I would want, and expect some bush camp ran joint way off the beaten path to be "Cowboyish". If I wanted something other, I would likely be in Miami in stead. 

Now I would expect the owner(s) of a place like this to be hands on in regards to gitt'n the trail cleared and whatnot.

And from here it would seem not responsible on their part to have the accomodations ready for the groomer opperator.

Also, I am gitt'n the picture that the groomer opperators are not volunteering to make the run north. 

If it's not open, and the operator doesn't need to be there, then that soul could have his butt in a groomer too.

The "Volunteers" in these apps should be those that benefit from it directly.

Motels and such, and places like this.

What was once a remote unplugged rustic and backwoodsy adventure, is now a daily/nightly full blown Kid Rock concert with the Jackass crew opening up. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 seasons ago, we were the last one's up for the season. They cared and accommodated us - we called in a.m. to say we're on the way up from Cochrane  ( left voice-mail message ). Younger gent left Jerry cans, we filled up - met further south and settled up. 

I remember Bill before that and some chap who worked for him and literally howled at the moon ( cabin fever he said, "alone" ).

This is a new chapter. In difficult times. It'll work out.

• Like 1

So, other than maybe 10 weeks in winter, apparently this guy and friends live there all year?

Is there anything going on up there the rest of the year?

He doesn't seem to be advertising for bear or moose hunts.

Doo ATV's make it up there?

We only got several klicks N of Gardiner on wheels when we were there.

I'm sure that you can jist run up the hydro line now?

Or doo some folks trailer up there and ... is there somewhere to ride from there?

I s'pose you can git to the next dam, [something or other "Rapids" w/o gitt'n my map out] but not likely beyond that eh?

I know that is all scrub pine and muskeg north of that. (Flat swamp for hundreds of clicks)

Need to go to the Q-bec side to find a road further north.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Blake G said:

Agreed.

Little chance of reasoning with some of the sledders, but maybe there is hope with the Base Camp people?

I suppose you can give them the benefit of the doubt and they truly are not aware of the operations of a club, but I cannot believe you would embark on what they have not understanding the hands that feeds you first.......it's not like if you build it, they will come....there is small thing called a trail that needs to be overcome and all that goes along with it.

Here is hoping they understand the big picture soon and adjust their approach accordingly.......however, I get the feeling there will always be a certain air about them that will turn people away.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

Gotta have some pics of those pristine NCDN trails??

5 minutes ago, stoney said:

Posted in the "what did you today" thread.

But truthfully, TD could have shared some more pic's, details on the new ride, etc......:tongue2:

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, stoney said:

But truthfully, TD could have shared some more pic's, details on the new ride, etc......:tongue2:

I agree!!! I expected some live streaming trail updates.. A few blooper videos and some interviews... 😋

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, Giddy UP said:

Agreed.  In the beginning, after Bill sold it, it looked promising, but have seen it now becoming more like a "rodeo show" up there. 

I creeped the new owners on Facebook after someone tagged them. They give me a total Tiger King vibe. Maybe they’ll get a reality show next. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Nutter said:

What was once a remote unplugged rustic and backwoodsy adventure, is now a daily/nightly full blown Kid Rock concert with the Jackass crew opening up. 

And here I thought you liked Kid Rock?

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Siege said:

I creeped the new owners on Facebook after someone tagged them. They give me a total Tiger King vibe. Maybe they’ll get a reality show next. 

Haha.   I was up there last Feb with my dad and he said that the one guy working there reminded him of Joe Exotic.   

• Haha 1

looks like one side of trail is open again 😊

19 minutes ago, stoney said:

Both sides - half way up though.....

The Cochrane side is green all the way up now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

That is key, because once you have ridden the west side, there is little reason to do it again.

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Ya, see that on phone app now…..on my computer when I mentioned only half earlier, it was red…. Odd.