Abitibi Canyon Updates

Turbo Doo

56 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Again, I feel bad for the PBR Riders Volunteers and the club.  Basecamp needs to burn down, and get new owners.  PERIOD. It's  been a complete joke ever since Bill Froud Sold it...

So I was wondering about all this when I saw the crap on facefu@@. Did Bill sell the base camp and extreme tours as well? or just base camp? It is a shame, it was all an amazing product for years.

nothing like burning down your own fort. WTF? there are better ways to get things done. people like this, make me want to avoid them, at all costs. Ski

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

nothing like burning down your own fort. WTF? there are better ways to get things done. people like this, make me want to avoid them, at all costs. Ski

Go to extreme tours and read his  "our story" , it all adds up and paints a glorious picture of who he is and his future, if he continues down this slippery slope. I can read clearly between the lines and I can see the trouble, feel bad for these two clubs and d15. This is a perfect example of why volunteers, un volunteer.

• Like 3

Super cold temps for well over a week and now huge snow in southern, central and eastern Ontario, the Karma bus is hitting Basecamp at full speed lol   

• Like 4

That is the problem, this should go to the district and make a decision. Once I realized the ownership had changed it shed a different light on what is going on. This is a business that is relying on a volunteer system to run his business. I would be curious to know if he did in fact shell the funds he says he has. Seems pretty odd.

8 minutes ago, Wildman said:

That is the problem, this should go to the district and make a decision. Once I realized the ownership had changed it shed a different light on what is going on. This is a business that is relying on a volunteer system to run his business. I would be curious to know if he did in fact shell the funds he says he has. Seems pretty odd.

While I agree with most of what you said, I do not think that the District should be making decisions for club issues. The district might want to help to get the 2 clubs and the Base Camp together to hammer the issue out but the clubs have the boots on the ground and should be making the decisions that affect them in terms of their trail sections. The 2 clubs involved have done pretty well at making decisions over the years and should be allowed to do so now. JMHO

2 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

While I agree with most of what you said, I do not think that the District should be making decisions for club issues. The district might want to help to get the 2 clubs and the Base Camp together to hammer the issue out but the clubs have the boots on the ground and should be making the decisions that affect them in terms of their trail sections. The 2 clubs involved have done pretty well at making decisions over the years and should be allowed to do so now. JMHO

The 2 Clubs, Basecamp Ownership and the District we're suppose to have a meeting. That's all I'll say in regards to the issues. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nutter said:

Super cold temps for well over a week and now huge snow in southern, central and eastern Ontario, the Karma bus is hitting Basecamp at full speed lol   

Agreed!  You will see many more areas open up in the south now - will take some wind out of their sails when the numbers start to drop up there - at least for now.  They had a good start to the season up there ... basically the only show in town.....now they are crapping in their own backyard.  As the saying goes "don't bite the hand that feeds you".  The ranting and bashing going on on their FB page is juvenile at best - and I for one sure won't be making the trip up to support them - especially not riding closed trails.  RESPECT needs to be shown to the Snowmobile clubs.  Both clubs work so very hard to get things ready to open and stay open!  Hats off to them and thank you for all the hard work so that we have the best trails to ride when we are up there.  That is why we drive for 7 hours to get there every year - there are more trails to ride than just doing the Canyon loop FYI....as it seems that is all some people seem to think they can do for whatever the reason (albeit it is definitely one day usually out of our trip - but not the reason we go as so many others allude to) 

When we first started heading to Cochrane over 20 years ago now, there was no "loop"...the ONLY side open was the east side...It was 154kms? or so each way....No warm up shack just past the tracks (that is relatively new) and once you got to Base Camp it was a warm Oasis for a cup of hot chocolate, a boiled wiener on a bun and a chocolate bar!  Gas was approx $2.00/litre back then and that was what we considered expensive - but - you had no choice.  Sleds were not as fuel efficient as they are now...we carried some gas - but not enough to do the entire trip - so we always topped up our tanks and supported Base Camp - it wasn't fancy, but it was a warm welcome. 

Now - they seem to think they are entitled in some way?  IDK....but that is the impression I am getting.  There is no good done when they are bashing the very clubs that "feed" them their customers.  Posting and encouraging riders to come up when the tails are clearly closed shows no respect.  Posting pics of no social distancing and drinking alcohol without a license does not promote good business practices either  When the club posts a closed trail it isn't because they "want" to do it - it is because the need to do it for whatever the reasons are it shouldn't matter - it is closed THE END.  Whether it has to do with land use permits or out of safety...CLOSED IS CLOSED and nobody in this sport should be encouraging others to ride on those closed trails PERIOD!  

I have always supported Base Camp every year we go to Cochrane - but - sorry....our group will not be making that trip to the canyon this year.  Glad I have "been there and done that" for many years..... it is a sad situation. for sure.  

Rant over - just my 2 cents

• Like 12

22 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

An issue with a cowboy like this would be better handled with the district, at that point the 2 club presidents, the district president, the district governor and if they have a district trail committee would all have input and be on the same page, it also helps take pressure off the 2 clubs. This clearly runs pretty deep and there are other issues with logging and hydro work that are causing part of this. JMO but that's the way I would deal with this one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Giddy UP said:

Agreed!  You will see many more areas open up in the south now - will take some wind out of their sails when the numbers start to drop up there - at least for now.  They had a good start to the season up there ... basically the only show in town.....now they are crapping in their own backyard.  The ranting and bashing going on on their FB page is juvenile at best - and I for one sure won't be making the trip up to support them - especially not riding closed trails.  RESPECT needs to be shown to the Snowmobile clubs.  Both clubs work so very hard to get things ready to open and stay open!  Hats off to them and thank you for all the hard work so that we have the best trails to ride when we are up there.  That is why we drive for 7 hours to get there every year - there are more trails to ride than just doing the Canyon loop FYI....as it seems that is all some people seem to think they can do for whatever the reason (albeit it is definitely one day usually out of our trip - but not the reason we go as so many others allude to) 

When we first started heading to Cochrane over 20 years ago now, there was no "loop"...the ONLY side open was the east side...It was 154kms? or so each way....No warm up shack just past the tracks (that is relatively new) and once you got to Base Camp it was a warm Oasis for a cup of hot chocolate, a boiled wiener on a bun and a chocolate bar!  Gas was approx $2.00/litre back then and that was what we considered expensive - but - you had no choice.  Sleds were not as fuel efficient as they are now...we carried some gas - but not enough to do the entire trip - so we always topped up our tanks and supported Base Camp - it wasn't fancy, but it was a warm welcome. 

Now - they seem to think they are entitled in some way?  IDK....but that is the impression I am getting.  There is no good done when they are bashing the very clubs that "feed" them their customers.  Posting and encouraging riders to come up when the tails are clearly closed shows no respect.  Posting pics of no social distancing and drinking alcohol without a license does not promote good business practices either  When the club posts a closed trail it isn't because they "want" to do it - it is because the need to do it for whatever the reasons are it shouldn't matter - it is closed THE END.  Whether it has to do with land use permits or out of safety...CLOSED IS CLOSED and nobody in this sport should be encouraging others to ride on those closed trails PERIOD!  

I have always supported Base Camp every year we go to Cochrane - but - sorry....our group will not be making that trip to the canyon this year.  Glad I have "been there and done that" for many years..... it is a sad situation. for sure.  

Well said @Giddy UP. A BIG X2...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Giddy UP said:

Agreed!  You will see many more areas open up in the south now - will take some wind out of their sails when the numbers start to drop up there - at least for now.  They had a good start to the season up there ... basically the only show in town.....now they are crapping in their own backyard.  The ranting and bashing going on on their FB page is juvenile at best - and I for one sure won't be making the trip up to support them - especially not riding closed trails.  RESPECT needs to be shown to the Snowmobile clubs.  Both clubs work so very hard to get things ready to open and stay open!  Hats off to them and thank you for all the hard work so that we have the best trails to ride when we are up there.  That is why we drive for 7 hours to get there every year - there are more trails to ride than just doing the Canyon loop FYI....as it seems that is all some people seem to think they can do for whatever the reason (albeit it is definitely one day usually out of our trip - but not the reason we go as so many others allude to) 

We stopped heading up there once it became touristy, it just wasn't the same anymore.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nutter said:

We stopped heading up there once it became touristy, it just wasn't the same anymore.  

Agreed.  I don't think we went up there last time either for that same reason actually.  Shame

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Our biggest turn off was ownership. 

Agreed.  In the beginning, after Bill sold it, it looked promising, but have seen it now becoming more like a "rodeo show" up there. 

• Like 1

First time I went up there we had to arrange for gas sent up by truck and come down the same side. Owner of Best Western was club president I think and helped us out. Felt like discovering a new world. As nutter said it's like a tourist stop now, havnt been in years.

• Like 2

Keep fingers crossed moving forward.

• Like 3

I find some of the comments here quite cornfusing....

Some wish it was still the remote designation that it once was.

Others think that the place should be ran jist like the 711 a 2 block walk from their house in the city.

Well, I aint from no city, that's fer sure, but I would want, and expect some bush camp ran joint way off the beaten path to be "Cowboyish". If I wanted something other, I would likely be in Miami in stead. 

Now I would expect the owner(s) of a place like this to be hands on in regards to gitt'n the trail cleared and whatnot.

And from here it would seem not responsible on their part to have the accomodations ready for the groomer opperator.

Also, I am gitt'n the picture that the groomer opperators are not volunteering to make the run north. 

If it's not open, and the operator doesn't need to be there, then that soul could have his butt in a groomer too.

The "Volunteers" in these apps should be those that benefit from it directly.

Motels and such, and places like this.

3 hours ago, Wildman said:

Go to extreme tours and read his  "our story" , it all adds up and paints a glorious picture of who he is and his future, if he continues down this slippery slope. I can read clearly between the lines and I can see the trouble, feel bad for these two clubs and d15. This is a perfect example of why volunteers, un volunteer.

I decided to skim through the story as well - it really does paint a very bad picture of Base Camp, but it seems they are oblivious to it sadly.

The more troubling part are the sledders that seem to support there cause in all of this :crazy:

I see @Blake G was trying to add some common sense to the f/plant thread :) .....as well some others of course.

After doing some reading, I am afraid with the current players involved, I cannot see this going in a positive direction.

• Like 3

According to a Base Camp source, the parties met today, and have resolved the immediate issues...... let's hope so.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, stoney said:

I decided to skim through the story as well - it really does paint a very bad picture of Base Camp, but it seems they are oblivious to it sadly.

The more troubling part are the sledders that seem to support there cause in all of this :crazy:

Agreed.

Little chance of reasoning with some of the sledders, but maybe there is hope with the Base Camp people?