Abitibi Canyon Updates

Turbo Doo

2 hours ago, stoney said:

It has been a crazy year for real estate....no issues selling it seems - it also seems many of the cottages are sold with the intent for rental properties/income....

However I was referring to a few years ago when I heard the lease rates went way up in that area on the native lands and people were walking away before the cottage market took off.

Probably referring to Hope Bay area you are ?   Was a real Sh!!!t show there  

11 minutes ago, volunteer2 said:

Probably referring to Hope Bay area you are ?   Was a real Sh!!!t show there  

Honestly not sure of the exact location or name, my in laws live in Wiarton and and BIL operates trailer park at Red Bay and this was a topic if discussion a few years ago since they both are right in this backyard.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

Nope. Service industry. Truck, auto and mechanical repair and electronics. 

So, suffice to say that your competition is all local, and also has to deal with the same laws and fees as you doo?

1 minute ago, Ox said:

So, suffice to say that your competition is all local, and also has to deal with the same laws and fees as you doo?

If you want to call Ontario local. I have customers from all over the province. Everybody in the same business as myself throughout Ontario has to deal with the same rules. 

1 hour ago, stoney said:

Honestly not sure of the exact location or name, my in laws live in Wiarton and and BIL operates trailer park at Red Bay and this was a topic if discussion a few years ago since they both are right in this backyard.

A few years back the water level rose so much at Sauble you couldn't drive on the Reservation side of the Beach   They lost a ton of revenue and I can only imagine the increases for the cottagers  were too cover those losses       we had heard in 2021 the increase was 50%     was always fun taking the Ragtop up and down the Beach      in the evening when no one was in the booth charging:icon_lolsign:     hopefully the that time will happen again

I read yesterday that the Smooth Rock side of the A103 is closed because of ongoing Hydro work.

• Like 1

Looks like Smooth Rock side just opened up as far as probably the warm up shack this morning.

3394C7DF-9239-44AB-B653-3AF1B2A3B9C0.jpeg

• Like 3

Interesting FB post from the proprietors of the Canyon enterprise yesterday, if anyone cares to hear their point of view.

Not to tread on Gobills  post, (Thanks!)n but I tripped over this again on my laptop, and it's a challenging read for me with my abilities, so here it is in one bite. I know there's 2 sides to this story, but the other side is less than a model of transparency. No wonder there's accusations of politics.... Anyhoo...

Year after year, and it’s becoming worse. So, unfortunately it’s come to the point where we would like to inform the public that we have been doing our best efforts to help the clubs in any and every way we possibly can, to get the loop open and returned to the green outline that we all already saw and want to see again.
You’d be surprised to know that both clubs seem to present the images of the “best snowmobile destinations” mean while here is the truth... we realize there are unforeseen events and obstacles that need to be addressed of course. But really.... and then say to people we don’t provide accommodation so they can’t groom. Straight up, bs. Here’s the facts. Cochrane, we done above and beyond that the club has never considered making reality. And Smoothrock, well..... joke. Come on eh. You don’t want sledding in your community. The town sign says “the worlds best snowmobile destination”..... don’t blame hydro cause hydro works every year and wil have to do service every year because it’s accessible during the winter cause it’s a swamp in the summer.
Stop telling the public it’s cause of us the trail isn’t open.
We are a private business. Not a club and not a warm up shack. We have done our best to turn this into a 5 star premium experience with as much class we can, given the circumstances. We had a vision snd we are achieving it. Before you hear or listen to the “telephone game” about the trail being red (closed) I want to explain what skin we put into the game regarding grooming.
We have bent over backwards trying to accommodate groomers. We realize that grooming is one of the most important parts of you guys leaving us with a good experience. Very simple ... Happy groomer = good trails = happy riders.
To make the 12 hour trip eassier for the groomer we bought (donated) for a new brushed attachment straight up, 3000$ as a gold or platinum meneber donation thing, provided a 5000L diesel tank on site, and CARRY the fuel bill for the season. I stay up to countless hours and trips back and forth at hours at a shot to go to and from camp cause the decision to groom is last min in the day and I find out at 7,8,9pm the day of to be told that he will be there at 3 am. The coffee and food is on us, the coffee is always always ready..... I make sure cause I have good values and morals. I would never be rude like that. I make sure there is a fresh sheets and pillows on the modified container that houses them ... a warm bathroom that’s heated that costs the generators to run, and not to mention..
We paid the groomers everytime they came up 100$ to make the trip a genuine incentive.
This is not to boast, this is not to get anyone’s back up but we are hearing and starting to hear rumors and this is the facts. The demands and sabotage efforts and lack of communications with what are supposed to be the best clubs, is not cool. The reputation to build over the last few years was hard to build and the choice of personalized signs saying no gas is not right. Why say no gas? Instead of using one of the 10 signs we purchased that instead should say trail closed and we have never even seen the signs.
We are open and we have gas. Groom the trails fully and stop with the games. It was open at Christmas time. The lack of communication and ignorance from northern corridor and both clubs is rediculous. We have reached out for the opportunities to better the tourism industry and sport itself and current and future insites.
Let’s continue building the worlds best snowmobile destination and let’s all be on the same page so the rumors stop! If anyone thinks we have not met the demands then please let us know. We do everything and go so far for everyone and it’s alwayyysssss issues and problems and headache from the people that SHOULD BE supporting US.
Not pushing us to consider closing shop.
  • Thanks 3

Hopefully the issues causing the trail to be closed can be resolved somehow and have the trail opened up this year. 

That being said I think there is more to the story which hopefully questions that are being asked are answered.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Social media or forums are not the place to post your lone position. Abitibi camp, should sit down at a table with both clubs together or singularly and discuss the issues, or vice versa for the clubs to sit down with Abitibi, then with all 3 groups together come out on social media  with a collective statement showing the unity. You do not get anywhere singularly making statements, as then it becomes he said, she said, sh*t show, which is what it is now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

All the more reason all parties need to get together and go for a pint to discuss, even if just the one club meets with the camp….. ideally both of course. 
Not saying the club needs to initiate, but maybe someone needs to take the lead for the good of the area and the sport. 
Or perhaps the end is inevitable, and such ids life. 

• Like 1

Definitely lots of drama on Facebook...🤨 

Imagine that.  A bunch of unpaid volunteers aren't making serving his business first priority and instead are making decisions in the best interest of the snowmobile club.  These guys would be better to get involved.  Sit on the clubs boards.  Get involved in the day to day operations of the clubs putting some labour hours into it.  They'd get a lot further than spewing garbage on social media.  Looks like they have tried some good things, but they should understand there is a lot going into running these clubs.  This is a business risk they need to manage and no better way to do so then to be involved in the organization.  I'd be installing a card lock with visa payments and running a groomer out of there myself if I were in their shoes.  They'd get a pile of time back and would manage this risk which I'm sure is killing their bottom line right now.  Sad situation.  Unfortunately politics are a reality in snowmobile clubs.  Things are rarely as simple as they seem.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, stoney said:

All the more reason all parties need to get together and go for a pint to discuss, even if just the one club meets with the camp….. ideally both of course. 
Not saying the club needs to initiate, but maybe someone needs to take the lead for the good of the area and the sport. 
Or perhaps the end is inevitable, and such ids life. 

For sure not what's needed in that sit down. Basecamp needs to step away and hire some outside people to run things up there that will run it like a proper business and not the white trash redneck wild west crap show it is, or sell it off to someone that will.  Just read some of the peoples posts over the past years since they took over from Bill, and look at some of pic's from some of the riders that go up there.  There's a reply in of their own posts with a pic from 2 days ago of 4 inside at Base camp, one has a red solo cup, another with a Coors in hand, none of the 4 wearing masks, no matter ones bias with covid, it's no way to run a business, especially one that's a lifeline service in a remote area.  Zero covid protocol, no liquor license/smart serve.  I know if I had a vote on PBR's board I honestly wouldn't stick my neck out and vote to leave that trail open with that crap being allowed to continue the way it has been. Aside from the obvious risks to riders, lots of big liabilities with stuff like this being out in the open for any lawyer to pluck away at.  No club/volunteer should ever have to deal with a burden like this.  

271245582_966091160696399_5979209345269919118_n.thumb.jpg.7d0350e2b31c59798d4bb86df7401650.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nutter said:

For sure not what's needed in that sit down. Basecamp needs to step away and hire some outside people to run things up there that will run it like a proper business and not the white trash redneck wild west crap show it is, or sell it off to someone that will.  Just read some of the peoples posts over the past years since they took over from Bill, and look at some of pic's from some of the riders that go up there.  There's a reply in of their own posts with a pic from 2 days ago of 4 inside at Base camp, one has a red solo cup, another with a Coors in hand, none of the 4 wearing masks, no matter ones bias with covid, it's no way to run a business, especially one that's a lifeline service in a remote area.  Zero covid protocol, no liquor license/smart serve.  I know if I had a vote on PBR's board I honestly wouldn't stick my neck out and vote to leave that trail open with that crap being allowed to continue the way it has been. Aside from the obvious risks to riders, lots of big liabilities with stuff like this being out in the open for any lawyer to pluck away at.  No club/volunteer should ever have to deal with a burden like this.  

271245582_966091160696399_5979209345269919118_n.thumb.jpg.7d0350e2b31c59798d4bb86df7401650.jpg

Can’t argue with that. 
The context of the pint was to settle the atmosphere, have a few laughs while they settle things and close the gaps, but based on the above and the volume of the situation, clearly not a great idea nor does it sound like it will happen. 
Can’t say I follow or read the social media either surrounding this, but it sure doesn’t appear to be good. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stoney said:

Can’t argue with that. 
The context of the pint was to settle the atmosphere, have a few laughs while they settle things and close the gaps, but based on the above and the volume of the situation, clearly not a great idea nor does it sound like it will happen. 
Can’t say I follow or read the social media either surrounding this, but it sure doesn’t appear to be good. 

I get it Stoney, I only highlighted to use it as a door opener to lead into my reply lol 

The situation really sucks, it's too bad it's come to this. They at least could try and be discrete and try and tone it down a tad. They seem to carry it like an honor badge. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nutter said:

I get it Stoney, I only highlighted to use it as a door opener to lead into my reply lol 

The situation really sucks, it's too bad it's come to this. They at least could try and be discrete and try and tone it down a tad. They seem to carry it like an honor badge. 

Well, it just speaks to various types of people out there, good and not do good. 

• Like 1

Just saw this in one of the Basecamp posts on FB 

271774948_1097363687689046_3394876970511415846_n.thumb.jpg.08376fa475906486accb98357f083081.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2