Abitibi Canyon Updates

Turbo Doo

33 minutes ago, MXZMike said:

Anyone care to hint at whats going on?

Mike

This, I’m quite interested but have no idea what everyone’s talking about

41 minutes ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

every year its something with either Hydro1 on the west side or something on the east. I feel so sorry for Base Camp

The guys at the Base Camp are hard core rednecks, but they cant seem to catch a break either.   Every year it is something else.   I cant really understand why they even bother?  

Maybe the disrespectful riders could slow down and be a bit respectful riding thru the logging section near the Jawbone Creek area of the West Side,  Cochrane Side, that could help a bit.  There was a death a few years ago, think logging Truck vs Sled. Why is this hard to understand.  That's one issue this season threatening things, among a few others. :icon_doh:. A entitled few gonna ruin it for everyone.  Sad..

@Mrs Turbo Doo and Myself were at that accident scene several years ago..

Screenshot_20220106-204458_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 1

What would be the Basecamp's profit margin, per litre of gasoline sold?

16 minutes ago, Blake G said:

What would be the Basecamp's profit margin, per litre of gasoline sold?

After costs of shipping it up there, labor to serve , hydro, heat the place , taxes , mtc, ect?

I would think lucky to break, even at $4/liter come end of season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ecarnell said:

After costs of shipping it up there, labor to serve , hydro, heat the place , taxes , mtc, ect?

I would think lucky to break, even at $4/liter come end of season.

Have you ever driven the road up in there.  An hour of decent paved highway from smooth rock north and another 1/2 hr maybe of good gravel road.  They aren't paying the bill to plow the road (gov't does).  No doubt there is some cost to run there over in town, but I think they're making out ok at the prices they're charging.  I'd say halfway has significantly more overhead than these guys do.

• Like 2

Trucking and delivery costs of about $200.00 an hour. The people in base camp looking for a wage of $20.00 an hour (isolation pay) trucks and fuel to carry food and hard goods, insurance starting at $5,000.00 per season minimum, insurance on their trucks $,1000.00 per year, loss of investment income because of start up costs and then the costs of start up inventory. All this before they even open the doors and then the risk of how much business and what kind of weather they get. 
Definitely not an investment that I would be interested in. 
Just saying

• Like 1

Insurance on trucks?

$5000 ins for what?

Liability?

I doubt they are going to (willing to) pay much for fire/theft eh?

Are they even cooking anything?

I don't begrudge them.  I just think a lot of other remote camps have it a lot worse and are more justified with the high prices.  Look at Pourvoirie Pavillon La Vérendrye Lodge in Quebec or Halfway where they are maintaining 80 kms of road privately to get in and they actually provide decent facilities.  There is others too.  Lac Faillon, Kanawata, etc.  I think my biggest gripe is they don't post the prices.  How hard is it to make a sign.  With starlink basecamp could easily get away from cash only as well.  I've been and can't say I'll rush back.  So many better options to pick from.  To each their own though.  It's a good trail ride to do once.

• Like 4

Cash only retail?

Maybe on snickers bars.

On a $100 fill up?

I don’t begrudge them either. High expenses and a short season, not too mention the shut downs and the resulting even shorter season last year. I usually pass through there once a year doing the loop and have no issue with buying some high priced fuel from there. But I know what I’m in for beforehand because I’ve been there before.

I do think however that the price should be posted on their website so people know what it costs ahead of time. I think the main issue that upsets people is the sticker shock, especially for first timers on the loop, when they get up there and only then find out what it costs. That loop and the Base Camp are heavily promoted on every media out there but no mention is ever made of what it actually costs when you get all the way up there and find yourself with little choice at that point but to pay it. If people know beforehand, then they can decide if the trip is for them and at that point they have nothing to complain about.

• Like 2

So what would that area or loop be without base camp?

I assume a groomer can do the loop with no fuel stops.

I know we used to love the idea of going into the hydro lines - not so much any more. 

Just a great destination to see the dam and the trail up and back is nice too.

Personally, have no issue with what they charge for the occasion we make that run.

I would hate to see that loop gone for good.

I would like to see the cost of fuel they pay. I suspect it could be lower than what we all think. I think they would be shut down if they were not making money. In fact they keep growing and investing in the place (new tank, tours, renos, places to stay, etc.). 

I don’t complain about the cost; it is what it is and I am happy to support them when I do. 

Anyway, I am thankful the guys are there and open and part of keeping this trail what it is. With that said this post on FB right here basically sums the operation up. 

A7361B80-AC5C-4C8D-9754-A4E0779670CE.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, willb said:

I would like to see the cost of fuel they pay. I suspect it could be lower than what we all think. I think they would be shut down if they were not making money. In fact they keep growing and investing in the place (new tank, tours, renos, places to stay, etc.). 

I don’t complain about the cost; it is what it is and I am happy to support them when I do. 

Anyway, I am thankful the guys are there and open and part of keeping this trail what it is. With that said this post on FB right here basically sums the operation up. 

A7361B80-AC5C-4C8D-9754-A4E0779670CE.jpeg

If my calculations are correct, by pump reading they pumped almost 52,000 litres of fuel last year not including the 13,000 unaccounted litres.

• Like 1

This seasons issues, are nothing to do with fuel etc.  It's the same BS that's been going on for a few seasons now. Again, I feel sorry for the PBR Riders Volunteers....

The fact that they keep promoting they 'have fuel' and are 'there', all the while the trails listed as unavailable on the ITG,  is totally distasteful.  I understand the Cochrane Side has been groomed etc, and understand the drive to make money, but......Because most of the sleds are riding up from the Cochrane side currently. Not likely a lot trailering up to play in the canyon yet imo. Sad state of affairs..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sinc71 said:

I don’t begrudge them either. High expenses and a short season, not too mention the shut downs and the resulting even shorter season last year. I usually pass through there once a year doing the loop and have no issue with buying some high priced fuel from there. But I know what I’m in for beforehand because I’ve been there before.

I do think however that the price should be posted on their website so people know what it costs ahead of time. I think the main issue that upsets people is the sticker shock, especially for first timers on the loop, when they get up there and only then find out what it costs. That loop and the Base Camp are heavily promoted on every media out there but no mention is ever made of what it actually costs when you get all the way up there and find yourself with little choice at that point but to pay it. If people know beforehand, then they can decide if the trip is for them and at that point they have nothing to complain about.

Even just posted when you get there.  It's an uneasy feeling when you've got $100 cash in your pocket and are trying to understand if it will be enough.  The difference between $3 a litre and $4 can add up.  Just a little transparency up front.  I fully expected to pay marina prices, but would like to know what it is before fueling so I can decide what I spend.  Going through their Dec posts and they made a point of pushing masks and covid protocol.  Last season when I was there, there was zero regard for following any public health guidelines.  Hopefully they are making changes.

Now it appears that the Base Camp guys are pissing on PBR.    The Base Camp guys are saying they are open and everything is good to go yet the trail is officially closed.  

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, scottyr said:

Now it appears that the Base Camp guys are pissing on PBR.    The Base Camp guys are saying they are open and everything is good to go yet the trail is officially closed.  

You can trailer up there and ride off the OFSC closed trails. Them being open does not = A103 being open. Would you be upset if Shell posted they were open here in Guelph even though trails around here are closed? 

1 minute ago, Kier said:

You can trailer up there and ride off the OFSC closed trails. Them being open does not = A103 being open. Would you be upset if Shell posted they were open here in Guelph even though trails around here are closed? 

They are giving the impression to people that the trail is open.    No one is trailering up there.    If you trailered up there, why would you need gas?  

• Like 3