Less bush trails because of liability.

Strong Farmer

My friend said club can no longer run trail thru his bush due to liability concerns. He said they are going thru wheat field instead and hopefully riders stay on the trail. Ran thru bush for over 35 years and now liability concern. This could be end of all those nice and pretty bush trails that we as riders enjoy and land owners do too, since less crop damage occurs. Any thoughts? 

• Sad 2

Be safer if stayed on the couch and fought off bed sores.

• Haha 5

48 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

My friend said club can no longer run trail thru his bush due to liability concerns. He said they are going thru wheat field instead and hopefully riders stay on the trail. Ran thru bush for over 35 years and now liability concern. This could be end of all those nice and pretty bush trails that we as riders enjoy and land owners do too, since less crop damage occurs. Any thoughts? 

Nothing like that here in D12

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

The OFSC has a first plan Commercial General liability insurance protecting the landowners for an amount of $15 million per occurrence for any incidents on the landowner's property in relation with the operations of organized snowmobiling.Feb 3, 2020

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, signfan said:

Sounds like his own insurance company has come up with their own ideas.  

Maybe his insurance Company isn't aware of the OFSC coverage.

3 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Yes that kind of sounds like what is happening here. He just said it was insurance risk. Too bad it was a good 25 acre trail thru there, south of highway 7 and 8. 

Will you be letting your friend know about this in case there has been a misunderstanding so this could be prevented and remove some of the risk that his wheat crop might be damaged?

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Maybe his insurance Company isn't aware of the OFSC coverage.

Even if the OFSC has $15m in coverage what happens if someone uses the farmer?

Short term what does farmer have to invest to fight suit or could there even been charges?

This day and age it’s a crazy world

3 minutes ago, Sksman said:

Short term what does farmer have to invest to fight suit or could there even been charges?

I am no expert, but the liability first lies on the OFSC based on land use agreements that are signed.

Than there is 15m available per occurrence to be used for I assume court fees and for judges ruling based on the outcome of the case.

Could it go beyond 15m.....I supposed, but given all the policies and waivers put in place based on the nature of the activity, I think 15m is on the generous side.

37 minutes ago, stoney said:

I am no expert, but the liability first lies on the OFSC based on land use agreements that are signed.

Than there is 15m available per occurrence to be used for I assume court fees and for judges ruling based on the outcome of the case.

Could it go beyond 15m.....I supposed, but given all the policies and waivers put in place based on the nature of the activity, I think 15m is on the generous side.

The landowner has the ofsc policy to cover incidents related to the operation of the snowmobile trail on their property.  Then as a second layer of protection they have their own insurance.  They are well covered.  $15 million is a significant amount of coverage and it is per occurrence (incident A occurs, you have $15 million, incident B occurs you have it again) .  Consider many ppl only carry $1 million on their vehicles and property.  Some run more.  Many other trail organizations (ATV clubs, Trans Canada Trail, etc.) only carry a $15 million aggregate policy which means total coverage has to extend over incident A and B.  If they run over the aggregate limit no coverage.  Big difference in the coverage and the OFSC's is superior.  Where this has gotten grey is municipalities and large corporations risk managers trying to push their organizations liability onto the OFSC.  Ie. a walker trips and falls on the trail.  Nothing related to the snowmobile club and they want the OFSC policy to respond.  In many of these cases the claims are frivolous anyways, but someone has to respond which usually comes with a $50,000 legal bill if the claim is pursued.  The risk managers job for the municipality  is to push this response and its costs along with any other liability onto a third party whenever they can.  This is the issue the OFSC has pushed back on in recent years saying why should the organization need to insure these properties for non snowmobile related claims.  There is no issue with a trail running through a wood lot.  That's a property owners insurer not understanding the coverage the OFSC brings to the table.  The coverage from OFSC is for normal operational activities of a snowmobile club.  I can't see how a trail through the woods would not qualify.  The real issue here is riders getting hurt and then trying to sue OFSC for their own mistakes.  If that would stop insurance would be a much easier topic for OFSC to manage.

• Like 5

Just now, lastzrt said:

It is also possible that he just got tired of cleaning up the garbage left in the bush along the trail by the dink’s.

On the field trials they only leave their broken belts.

Sometimes there is more to a story - perhaps the case, nobody knows. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

Just now, lastzrt said:

It is also possible that he just got tired of cleaning up the garbage left in the bush along the trail by the dink’s.

On the field trials they only leave their broken belts.

True but in this case there could be crop damage in the spring which isn't an issue with bush trail.

Why would the farm insurnce company have an issue with bush trail but not with field trail?

Something doesn't smell right to me with this story!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

True but in this case there could be crop damage in the spring which isn't an issue with bush trail.

Why would the farm insurnce company have an issue with bush trail but not with field trail?

Something doesn't smell right to me with this story!

The bush trail has TREES to smash the pumpkin head of the racer monkeys.  I have seen more than one bundle of flowers nailed to that tree just inside the bush entrance.  You know the one you have to turn to avoid.  Hard to turn when the sled is still on boost from coming across the field.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Big Pussy said:

The bush trail has TREES to smash the pumpkin head of the racer monkeys.  I have seen more than one bundle of flowers nailed to that tree just inside the bush entrance.  You know the one you have to turn to avoid.  Hard to turn when the sled is still on boost from coming across the field.

I just think that if the Insurance Company had an issue it would be with all trails on the property.

• Like 1

I asked my friend again he said it is just decision club has made to avoid bush where they can. Nothing more then that he said snd he doesn’t know exact reason why. Either way great to have him on board as a land owner and he loves work gloves as a appreciation gift. Trying to get him to but another snowmobile but that’s going to take some work. His Florida trip is on back burner so maybe if we get some snow, he pick up somthing to ride again. If not I pull turbo move and ride double 🤪 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, LuvMyViper said:

How's the weather in Oakville today? You're not from Quebec.. Who are you? A banned ex-member of this forum? Enjoy your banning.... We won't miss you...

Dissed and dismissed. Nicely done.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Just another one to block and ignore. Bye Bye...:wavey:

you get the new sled yet? 

Post some picture if or when you get or already have it.

I might be on the block list?