Will the northern cooredore be ready for next week?

Puggz

Looking to those who regularly travel wayyy north during the xmas/new years week, based on what you see now do you think it will be worth making the trip? 9 hrs one way in my case.

As per my other post, I have a room booked in Kap starting Dec 27th but I'm a little concerned that there isn't more yellow and even a bit of green like a few regions in PQ.  Its been cold enough up there and from the FB pics, looks like enough snow.

Thoughts?

Tough call. Cochrane has the most snow currently on  the ground.  Kap did have parts of the A open, now closed,   but imo, without new snow, there will not be alot of choices. It takes tons of snow and cold. Cochrane just recently broke trail south of town towards Timmins. Lots of swamps not frozen etc. Fredrickhouse river still not enough ice to cross with groomer, although flooding is ongoing.  Trails the Clubs manage to get open, will be early season riding no matter what. Patience is key here...

Honestly for the amount of driving and the costs of the trip I would be reconsidering going up, we have gone north or to Quebec for the past few years for New Years and this year even if we had our sleds in the garage I would be looking into Mont Valin area before I would be going to Northern Ontario unless they get a big dump of snow, I know the clubs are working like crazy to open trails but that being said with the amount of sledders they are expecting based on the hotels all being pretty much booked up the trails will be trashed very quickly.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nunz said:

Honestly for the amount of driving and the costs of the trip I would be reconsidering going up, we have gone north or to Quebec for the past few years for New Years and this year even if we had our sleds in the garage I would be looking into Mont Valin area before I would be going to Northern Ontario unless they get a big dump of snow, I know the clubs are working like crazy to open trails but that being said with the amount of sledders they are expecting based on the hotels all being pretty much booked up the trails will be trashed very quickly.

Hope this helps a bit.

The limited trails and loops will be like the 401 during rush hour.  

• Like 1

We postponed our trip to Lanaudiere.  Just not enough trail open to go around with so few choices to pick from.  Anywhere you go (even Mont Valin) will be trashed.  Am thinking Jan 15th might be the first trip this year.  

I see on the ITG that Smooth Rock have 42 km. of the A trail open. Good on them!

• Like 4

I'm looking at the 14 day Forecast for the Northern Corridor, its looking reasonable and promising, especially the projected cold temperatures with some snow.

5 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

I'm looking at the 14 day Forecast for the Northern Corridor, its looking reasonable and promising, especially the projected cold temperatures with some snow.

Looks cold enough,  not much new snow in forecast either though. Hard call like stated above. Have to wait for some real reports from riders in area. Snow squall watch now and minus 3. So maybe they will get some tonight yet. 🤞

just remember, it is the holidays, nothing will get done on christmas eve, day, and boxing day. then a few days later you have new years eve/day. there may be snow but, dont complain when the trails are not groomed. is there snow in a small pocket? yep. will it be groomed and in mid season form, not an F'in chance in the world. 

your results may vary. Ski

• Like 2

Apparently there are a whole bunch more people willing to trailer than there was 25 yrs ago?

We scooted accrost the top in 12/96 and were aboot the only ones there. 

I'm not sure that we seen another sled from Hearst to Cochrane, and even the next day back to Hearst!

It was -40 tho, so maybe y'all sled smarter? Not harder? :icon_slap2:

But then somewhere in the mid 'naughts we ran from Geraldton to Hearst (?) on Sat night, and there wasn't another track on the 1" fresh from the previous night.

And y'all are selling me that they will be torn up if they get it ready?

Even with a spare groomer coming up from Hornepayne?

I'd haft'a see that to believe it...

But the Boxing Day and New Years Day thing is real!

Wasn't able to get anything to eat in Hornepayne (Centre Inn) on New Yrs Day, and Pat was closed on the 2nd too!

So SDB's not exaggerating.

• Like 1

I went up over Christmas/New years a few times and will never do it again, unless they get 3 feet of snow, even at that, the sheer volume of sleds will beat the trails up so bad you will not enjoy it all that much. Wait until early/mid Jan if you can. To trailer from the GTA and stay 3 nights will cost you a G note all day long, to ride yellow trails is a waste IMO, but I also understand the itch to get out. I personally shift my big trips to end of Feb or early March, when you have pretty much guaranteed great trails. 

• Like 2

By the looks of things up there, I would not be driving 9hrs to ride in marginal conditions.   I would rather wait a couple of weeks and hope things improve.   We are booked to go somewhere on the 14-16th but I am still waiting for our 2nd sled to arrive so even that looks questionable today.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, scottyr said:

By the looks of things up there, I would not be driving 9hrs to ride in marginal conditions.   I would rather wait a couple of weeks and hope things improve.   We are booked to go somewhere on the 14-16th but I am still waiting for our 2nd sled to arrive so even that looks questionable today.  

Let’s hope they don’t shut us down in parts of ontario and not connect trails again 😂

4 hours ago, scottyr said:

Well, that's what we did last year....

Snow came real late and we didn't have time to go anymore.

Finally went over Easter (again) and it sucked.

4 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Screenshot_20211221-162829_Samsung Internet.jpg

Looks good - but make sure you have you're scratchers on

• Like 1

Hey TD! Moonbeam has your favorite trail marked yellow as well as the rest north of the clubhouse. Over 300 km. open now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Cochrane to SRF you say?...🤔

Screenshot_20211221-205529_Go Snowmobiling Ontario!.jpg

ironically I had a few buddies up in Cochrane the last few days and got about 550km's in breaking in their new sleds.  Said conditions weren't bad but were more short loops.  They're at Churchill's now in NB on the way back.

North Bay, not New Brunswick - GOT IT!  :confused: