For the Foreign Nationals wanting to come to Ontario to sled, via the Soo, testing location info

skidooboy

Lake Superior State University in Sault Ste Marie Michigan provides Covid testing via appointment Monday through Friday 8am to 4pm.

this is right at the border, testing costs 70.00 per test, per person, is allowed by Canadian Border Patrol/Services for International crossing. results are approx 20 minutes. must have prior arranged appointment for this service.

understand you can test locally to home but, tests are usually 150 per or more. they will tell you they are "free" or your "insurance pays" but, months later your will get a "service fee bill" for additional costs from the lab, again... approx 150. been there done that, 3 times already.

also note, when testing at home, if your provider doesnt process their own testing, you may not get the results back, prior to your 72 hour window, (need proof of a negative test within 72 hours of your crossing over).

dont push the time limit, if you are a minute over... you start the process over, at your cost. also understand, most insurance will not pay for "travel related testing" .  

@AC+YA also has a more southern testing area near the michigan, indiana, ohio, border area on I69. I am sure he will chime in, with an update for us. 

your results may vary, good luck, Ski

• Like 5

Good write-up and thanks for the info, Ski.

Not sure if the story below applies to our American Friends, but on a side of caution, it may be worth reading.  

A Canadian couple went day-shopping in Michigan, upon their return to Canada, ended up in 14 days quarantine even though they uploaded their vaccine proof to the ArriveCan app and had their passports.  What was missing was the QR code.

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/quick-trip-to-the-u-s-results-in-quarantine-nightmare-for-northern-ontario-couple-1.5699184

16 minutes ago, Dan-Senior said:

Not sure if the story below applies to our American Friends, but on a side of caution, it may be worth reading.  

A Canadian couple went day-shopping in Michigan, upon their return to Canada, ended up in 14 days quarantine even though they uploaded their vaccine proof to the ArriveCan app and had their passports.  What was missing was the QR code.

https://northernontario.ctvnews.ca/quick-trip-to-the-u-s-results-in-quarantine-nightmare-for-northern-ontario-couple-1.5699184

Thanks for posting this Dan. That occurence was prior to December 7th when once again the rules changed for Canadians coming back to Canada.

The arrivecan app can be a challenge for some and if you don't have it completed CORRECTLY before you get to the border you will have issues.

There is so much detailed information on travel requirements on line it's ridiculous.  The Canadian government site seem far too complex to me. I can see how many people could easily be reading different information than they require for their situation or just don't click on the appropriate highlighted phrase to get to what they need.

Quite a bit of talk on a Quebec Rider thread about rules for Americans getting across the border into Canada. It reinforces the need to have all the I's dotted to prevent the possibility of a shi__y vacation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan-Senior said:

They could have been singled out for importing a purple sled. :o

18 hours ago, skidooboy said:

@AC+YA also has a more southern testing area near the michigan, indiana, ohio, border area on I69. I am sure he will chime in, with an update for us. 

your results may vary, good luck, Ski

The rest area / welcome center on northbound I-69 approximately 5 miles north of the Indiana/Michigan border has been giving Covid tests from 10 am - 4 pm daily.  This was 7 days a week.  They have quick tests (my friend said it was under 4 minutes) and PCR tests which they sent to his phone about 20 hours later.   He said they took no money, but if you give them insurance info there may be a bill in the future?  So far he has seen nothing.  He thought some were just indicating that they had no insurance and still received the testing.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dan-Senior said:

there is more to this story, it isnt the full story. you can enter all your info several days before you cross, unlike what she said "you cant enter it ahead of time". you enter your info, and hold it in queue, then when you fully know, you complete the sending. they want you to put it in as early as possible. also, what probably happened was, they were one of those randomly selected for a test when they arrive in Canada, and you are quarantined until your negative results come back, yes, that is a pain, from what I hear. another scenario is, they were not fully vaxed and went to the states, and came back, and were found to not to be in compliance thus the "two week quarantine". they dont just hand out random 2 week quarantines, something happened, and it isnt being fully represented here.

with reading the article again, here is what I noticed:

from the article:   Suzanne Beckerton and her partner crossed the border in Sault Ste. Marie on Nov. 4 after uploading all of their documents to the ArriveCan app. 

my point: The U.S. started on Nov. 8 to allow fully vaccinated foreign nationals to cross the land borders from Canada and Mexico for nonessential purposes. 

if the article is true, they went across via land before it was allowable, somehow were let into the USA, and upon return, "earned" their 2 week quarantine.

it appears what they are dealing with was, they went across to the usa before the border was fully open, and upon returning from a foreign country (USA) they were placed in quarantine. which was the status quo at the time. they brought this on themselves, and are looking for sympathy, if this truly is accurate.  this is a reminder, in all reported stories, due your diligence by reading, and research before accepting it as fully true. Ski

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I live in Canada work in the USA. I am in the US for 3 to 4 weeks at a time before returning to Canada for a rotation. I just stop at my local Walgreens pharmacy get the NAAT test and within an hour I have my results. Free of charge. Take the results with me either print it out or electronically on my phone along with the filled out ArriveCAN app and zero issues. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Heard and seen this on the news tonight.  I can see the borders closing up again soon.  

I think they will close again also that is why we did not get our yearly passes again  this year .

Will wait and see what happens if we go the crew will just buy 7 day passes and  see what happens.

2 minutes ago, zrtkat said:

I think they will close again also that is why we did not get our yearly passes again  this year .

Will wait and see what happens if we go the crew will just buy 7 day passes and  see what happens.

It definitely sucks Greg. Fingers crossed 🤞 you guys can come ride this season...

• Like 1

soooo pissed right now! Ski

• Sad 3

The Feds held an Emergency Meeting yesterday with Province Premiers.  Not sure how accurate these media reports are.  The comments are worth reading.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/federal-government-considering-new-travel-bans-to-limit-spread-of-omicron-sources

1 hour ago, Dan-Senior said:

The Feds held an Emergency Meeting yesterday with Province Premiers.  Not sure how accurate these media reports are.  The comments are worth reading.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/federal-government-considering-new-travel-bans-to-limit-spread-of-omicron-sources

Yup. Most likely to happen before new years...

SDB's gunna git "stuck" on the other side of the river this time?

they have to let you back into your home country. Ski

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Greg, they havent closed the border yet. so, if things stay the same, and you and the crew are vaxed, get a negative test before you cross, come over enjoy your trip. once you cross over to Canada, the USA cannot deny you access to your home country. you will be allowed to come home. now, as far as how you will travel, eat, and stay in Canada, will be up to that entity. 

We lost all our snow in Dub in the last 36 hours, cold again but, no real snow in the forecast. I am not in a hurry now, to get up there but, I am missing not spending another Christmas at our home there. usually we are there for 2-3 weeks at Christmas, and New Year. if it isnt covid, the border, or something at home keeping us here, it is the weather. it is, what it is. Ski

ski,

Paige and I had plans to come to Dub for a few days after Christmas to play just a bit even without real trails and visit everyone we have missed.  So sad that the weather changed and took the snow.  Would have at least ran down to Hawk Junction and played on old roads along the Magpie and in the bush.  

We figured in case the border situation does change we would have at least visited while we could.  Paige may not have another chance to get up there this season anyway.

Just sad that the snow is gone for now.  The new sled is not expected until end of January either, but I did purchase full season permits so I hope they can get some use.  Otherwise it was our part to help fund the system for the 21 -22 season.

Still planning to see you later this season and hoping that those making decisions understand that the "rule following fully vaccinated & boosted with negative tests" are not the worry!

Scott 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, skidooboy said:

Greg, they havent closed the border yet. so, if things stay the same, and you and the crew are vaxed, get a negative test before you cross, come over enjoy your trip. once you cross over to Canada, the USA cannot deny you access to your home country. you will be allowed to come home. now, as far as how you will travel, eat, and stay in Canada, will be up to that entity. 

We lost all our snow in Dub in the last 36 hours, cold again but, no real snow in the forecast. I am not in a hurry now, to get up there but, I am missing not spending another Christmas at our home there. usually we are there for 2-3 weeks at Christmas, and New Year. if it isnt covid, the border, or something at home keeping us here, it is the weather. it is, what it is. Ski

Ski we are all vaccinated and boosted and will see how things are in February ,do not want to make the trip if we can not go into restaurant,etc.

And be limited to go places that we want to , so if we don't make it this winter hopefully next winter will be better.

it's a bummer that you cannot make it to your house in dub for Christmas 🎄 always enjoyed your fishing pics ,antler sheds , hopefully you get to spend some quality time up there.

Merry Christmas

Greg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/new-closures-covid-19-quebec-1.6292622

I think it will be another winter of snowmobiling in Pennsylvania things are getting worse and restrictions are coming now.

• Sad 1

On 12/17/2021 at 9:44 AM, Turbo Doo said:

@skidooboy @AC+YA @zrtkat, your fellow OCer's are hoping you guys can make it this coming season...

X2

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

this will help... https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-government-to-drop-pre-departure-testing-1.6386763?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar&fbclid=IwAR3trbQknZVblYciZ4t1IWxptqSvLmuf0Rl3yTQ96Mqw6J8U0jscA1udSc4

still need to be vaxed, for now, still need to use the arrivecan ap (easy) but, the pre-testing is coming to an end. Ski

• Like 1