Anyone done the guided tours from Hearst to Moosonee?

infernobuster

Saw a post a few days back on social media about tours launching out of Hearst, that heads towards Moosonee and near James Bay.

Anyone ever rode that way or with that tour outfit before?

Had planned on making that run, but didn't work out.

But never heard of a tour starting there w/o going through Cochrane?

saw they had room for 2 riders for their mid march tour out of hearst, to James bay. looks like they added a tour, the week before now... that would be a great trip. understand this is backcountry bushwacking, and not groomed trails. if you dont have some off trail skills, and a decents crossover, mountain, or utility sled, you may have a rough go, on this adventure. just my .02.

here is the book of feces link: https://www.facebook.com/wildernessguidedtours/

Ski

I don't see it listed in the ad.

Shirley they are routing through Cochrane, or at least Smooth Rock and heading up to the dam eh?

I can't imagine that they would literally cross country up the river the whole way with [just] anyone with a few bucks?

Edited by Ox
added "just" for clarity

Test.

Can I post?

Or does the site just have SD Boy in solitary?

Yep, looks like it's just you Mr. Boy.  :o

(in my best (Burt'n) Ernie laugh)

• Haha 1

I can post again now. LOL! was locked out since this thread was starting to roll. server glitch, update? 

anyhooo...

start in Hearst, run the Missinabi, no trails. this is adventure riding, off trail, cross country. 

Febuary/March

3 days trip

Starting from Hearst, we ride along the Missinaibi river. We get to see Thunder House Falls and Hell's Gate Canyon. 

We visit Moosonee and Moose Factory region. And James Bay Area.

Heated camp half way on the Missinaibi river.

2 guides with sleigh full of gas

Each snowmobile should be able to carry 3 gallon of gas

Safety: satelite phone, tarp, first aid kit, fire, dry clothes, spare food etc...

Group of 8 sleds

All riders must sign our waiver

Lots of fun guaranteed!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ox said:

I don't see it listed in the ad.

Shirley they are routing through Cochrane, or at least Smooth Rock and heading up to the dam eh?

I can't imagine that they would literally cross country up the river the whole way with [just] anyone with a few bucks?

Nope.  Missinaibi River runs from Mattice north.   Nowhere near Smooth Rock or the Abitibi Canyon.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, willb said:

You know anyone who has done the trip?

no but, one of my bucket list rides would be to start in the Soo or wawa with one foot in or on lake superior, then ride and stand on James bay. this could get me there. Ski

• Like 2

I stood on and peed in James Bay in 2009.  It sure was cold.  Like a scared turtle.  It was the Extreem Tour by Bill Froud back then.  Stayed at Tozer's Camp.

• Like 3

Was the water deep?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Blake beat me to it...

I've been to Moosonee, but not in the winter.

Sign - Yeah, I am very aware of that route.

We were planning on running that back in '08?

But if things went well, we were thinking that we could even come back the Albany.

(Marc said not worth it tho - nothing to see there)

But - things didn't "go well"...

OK you guys "in the know", who's running this "tour"?

Possibly Marc G?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Was the water deep?

The water was hard enough to stand on.

• Like 2

Checking this out on my BRMB maps you can get to see a route they likely follow via Horse falls up towards Tozers camp. If this is the route, It is back country. I would say not for the faint of heart. I would love to do this route, as my 146" Polaris SKS with 2.25" paddle would love that route.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blake G said:

Was the water deep?

I don't think Big Pussy is as experienced.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, willb said:

Good to see other options. The prices for the tour from cochrane with extreme tours (abitibi base camp) keeps going up. 

agreed.  This tour is a lot more manageable price wise

• Like 1

I spoke to the gentleman doing the Hearst tours and his name is Dany G. Seemed like a top notch guy based on the call. 

The route is Hearst to Tozers camp (Onakawana) or right to Moosonee via the rivers (too long of names to spell out). But to be clear this is river running so limited playing around in the powder from what I understand. The trips can be customized some too I guess. 

Anyway, that is the route up, the route back is via the Moose and Abitibi rivers and the Abitbi power line down through Fraserdale and to Smooth Rock Falls (then you can proceed wherever you’d like from there via the trail system). This route back would be basically the same as the Moosonee trip from Cochrane. Some river running, some trails from Cochrane to base camp at the Abitibi dam, and some hydro lines which seem to allow for some more playing around in the powder. 

anyway, that’s my take, hope it helps some decide on the trip. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, willb said:

I spoke to the gentleman doing the Hearst tours and his name is Dany G. Seemed like a top notch guy based on the call. 

The route is Hearst to Tozers camp (Onakawana) or right to Moosonee via the rivers (too long of names to spell out). But to be clear this is river running so limited playing around in the powder from what I understand. The trips can be customized some too I guess. 

Anyway, that is the route up, the route back is via the Moose and Abitibi rivers and the Abitbi power line down through Fraserdale and to Smooth Rock Falls (then you can proceed wherever you’d like from there via the trail system). This route back would be basically the same as the Moosonee trip from Cochrane. Some river running, some trails from Cochrane to base camp at the Abitibi dam, and some hydro lines which seem to allow for some more playing around in the powder. 

anyway, that’s my take, hope it helps some decide on the trip. 

That’s who I would want to guide me I’ve seen how him and his kids ride it’s amazing !!

• Like 1

Sounds awfully fun.

Have only been to Moosonee in the summer time.

Ridden Cochrane more times than I can count.

Don't have the sled for this type of trip though

Beauts thanks for the info .. 

Well looks like 3 of are headed up to do the tour in mid march. We took the last spots .. 

I m riding a Stage 3 'Winder .. this should make it interesting. Lolz.

• Like 7

On 12/9/2021 at 5:23 PM, infernobuster said:

Beauts thanks for the info .. 

Well looks like 3 of are headed up to do the tour in mid march. We took the last spots .. 

I m riding a Stage 3 'Winder .. this should make it interesting. Lolz.

Best of luck on the trip. Looking forward to a report and some pics..

• Like 1