Lunchtime for volunteers

coolbane

Now that we are at busiest phase of trail install (yippee), I was wondering how the different clubs address the issue of lunch for volunteers who are working a full day (6-7 hours minimum) on the trails? Snowmobile volunteering is a little unique in that we are generally 'in the middle of no where' when lunchtime rolls around. 

During my years of volunteering, I have seen the following methods of handling lunch, but there are probably others:

1. Each volunteer packs their own lunch/snacks/drinks. 
  2. A club volunteer offers to prepare/purchase lunch for the full-day work crews
  3. The club has budget space to cover a few pizzas or other lunch items. 

Just wanting to see how this is handled at different clubs around the province. 

• Like 2

Trailside bbq has always been a big hit. Hot dogs, sausages, hamburgers. One guy even brought a venison steak to throw on as a little appetizer. 

We have also used club sponsors who have a restaraunt.  Either meet for breakfast, or if its not a long day, a late lunch..

• Like 6

Clubs do that?  I have been helping staking trails here for 5yrs and generally it has been me and 1 other guy out on our own. Or me and a buddy and our boys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Which brings up another question. Does anyone receive reimbursement for fuel expenses? Not that it's much, but we use our own SxS's and chainsaws, and burn through probably $40 in fuel putting in and taking out trails

I Have never been reimbursed for expenses.  I’ve known that the club doesn’t do it, and I’m ok.   It doesn’t stop me from helping.   I can however see how some volunteers may be deterred by the lack of reimbursement 

46 minutes ago, Zertrider said:

Which brings up another question. Does anyone receive reimbursement for fuel expenses? Not that it's much, but we use our own SxS's and chainsaws, and burn through probably $40 in fuel putting in and taking out trails

I think it depends on the club and as of the last few years on the District policies. If you want reinbursement ask the club. If the club hasn't got money available for that, ask the club rep on the District board if there is a process in place to be reinbursed by your District.

• Like 1

For our group we do a late lunch back at the shop. This years menu is moose chilly ,crackers , pickles and beer . The crackers and pickles are for the vegan .

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Domino said:

I Have never been reimbursed for expenses.  I’ve known that the club doesn’t do it, and I’m ok.   It doesn’t stop me from helping.   I can however see how some volunteers may be deterred by the lack of reimbursement 

I never expected to be reimbursed, and the $40 will not impact my life, just curious what others have experienced 

11 hours ago, Zertrider said:

I never expected to be reimbursed, and the $40 will not impact my life, just curious what others have experienced 

I think this is how most think.   We really should reimburse those who volunteer as they are the ones keeping the trails open along with our Land Owners.  Snowmobiling can get expensive, however there are those that snowmobile on a budget and just can't afford that extra dollars to come and help out.  This subject raises its head every once in a while, but we really should be fair to those who volunteer vs those who don't or cannot.   

Volunteers still pay for permits just like everyone else who legally rides the trails.   This may necessitate an increase in permit fees and that's not unfair IMO.

13 hours ago, coldfinger said:

For our group we do a late lunch back at the shop. This years menu is moose chilly ,crackers , pickles and beer . The crackers and pickles are for the vegan .

Vegans snowmobile?

17 minutes ago, Domino said:

I think this is how most think.   We really should reimburse those who volunteer as they are the ones keeping the trails open along with our Land Owners.  Snowmobiling can get expensive, however there are those that snowmobile on a budget and just can't afford that extra dollars to come and help out.  This subject raises its head every once in a while, but we really should be fair to those who volunteer vs those who don't or cannot.   

Volunteers still pay for permits just like everyone else who legally rides the trails.   This may necessitate an increase in permit fees and that's not unfair IMO.

Its should be reimbursed for both. It should be mandatory

• Thanks 1

I have been reimbursed in the past when using my truck for club stuff.

I generally depends what I'm doing if I even put in for the expense.

• Like 1

Our club philosophy is that a volunteer gives generously of their time. There is no expectation that they be saddled with out of pocket expenses related to those volunteer activities (gas, wear/tear on personal equipment). If a club volunteer submits an expense claim for vehicle mileage, gas for atv/chain saw, new chain for chain saw etc. it is paid with thanks. The reality is that nobody submits these claims because they see it as another way of supporting the club. On rare occasions something unusual will come up and the club looks at those on a case by case basis. A good example was a volunteer was doing some early packing on their sled on a bad piece of trail that was severely damaged by atv traffic. Sled got caught in a rut and rolled on its side breaking a side panel. The club bought the new part and the volunteer installed it. Everyone went home happy.

Trail signage is done by 1 or 2 volunteers doing their assigned sections. Usually no expenses incurred there as they work their own schedules as time permits.

For larger projects (trail routes, brushing, bridge redecking etc) that have larger worker parties (usually 8-12 people) or the location is remote, someone will organize an on trail lunch (paid for by club) that could be chilli, sandwiches etc. If its a relatively short day we might just go to a restaurant (1 that buys a map ad) and have lunch. No alcohol reimbursed.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Big Pete said:

Our club philosophy is that a volunteer gives generously of their time. There is no expectation that they be saddled with out of pocket expenses related to those volunteer activities (gas, wear/tear on personal equipment). If a club volunteer submits an expense claim for vehicle mileage, gas for atv/chain saw, new chain for chain saw etc. it is paid with thanks. The reality is that nobody submits these claims because they see it as another way of supporting the club. On rare occasions something unusual will come up and the club looks at those on a case by case basis. A good example was a volunteer was doing some early packing on their sled on a bad piece of trail that was severely damaged by atv traffic. Sled got caught in a rut and rolled on its side breaking a side panel. The club bought the new part and the volunteer installed it. Everyone went home happy.

Trail signage is done by 1 or 2 volunteers doing their assigned sections. Usually no expenses incurred there as they work their own schedules as time permits.

For larger projects (trail routes, brushing, bridge redecking etc) that have larger worker parties (usually 8-12 people) or the location is remote, someone will organize an on trail lunch (paid for by club) that could be chilli, sandwiches etc. If its a relatively short day we might just go to a restaurant (1 that buys a map ad) and have lunch. No alcohol reimbursed.

Heartily agree with Big Pete and his Club's policy. Volunteers should supply their time and possibly some tools, equipment and ATV,/Sled but most out of pocket costs like mileage, fuel, etc. should be reimbursed. Meals are somewhat debatable, depends on the circumstances.