First trip recommendations - last week of December

Puggz

4 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Did you ask if there is a trail that connects to the A from the Travelodge? Looking at the map on their website and the ITG, it appears you have to run some streets to get to the hotel. Unless you can possibly run what appears to be a field behind the Esso and the Ford Dealership.  

3 hours ago, Puggz said:

Thats what I thought - the field..

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

We need some people from Kap on this forum again since there are a lot of OCer's that travel through & around there. It would be good to be able to get first hand info.

Imo, I would have stayed at the Comfort Inn, Super 8, or the Advantage.  The Travelodge is road running iirc correctly,  and I am not really sure running the field is a good idea, as the kap snow rovers have had issues with alot of tresspassing in and around town. Might be something to investigate further. The "field" is the golf course iirc....So that's a no. And also I am pretty sure that's where the Kap Snow Rovers have had issues in the past..

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Let us know how parking lot is for

trucks and trailers there too! Thanks. 

It is good size.  I would not hesitate to bring my 4 place inline trailer pulled by my HD2500 crew cab truck.  There has always been plenty of room when i have stayed over the years.  The triple axle trailer is 33' on the box plus the 7' "V" nose and then 3' of aluminum hitch frame.   Parking lot is good.    

1 hour ago, gobills said:

I wouldn't stress to much about getting to the trail from travel lodge.  The roads are pretty much ice all winter.  Get to the shell or esso and cross 11 and your on the trail.

Great info, thank you!

On 11/23/2021 at 4:54 PM, Puggz said:

Thats what I thought - the field..

Better bet is the Comfort Inn -- A trail directly across the road and rooms are nicer imo ;) for the Mrs.  We usually stay at the Advantage , but not as upscale as the Comfort Inn, however, rooms are clean and restaurant is right there as well as trail access across the road 

I really liked the location of the Advantage in Kap when we stayed there last year, Papa Franco's on site is a big plus and lots of parking, Rooms are a little dated but I would have no problem staying there again in the future.

• Like 9

I like staying at the Companion in Hearst.   Clean rooms, good restaurant on site, secure parking, close to Beer Store/LCBO and right on the trail.    Hearst doesnt get 1/4 of the traffic that Cochrane gets.   

• Like 4

^^^ I agree. One of my favourite places to stay. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I like staying at the Companion in Hearst.   Clean rooms, good restaurant on site, secure parking, close to Beer Store/LCBO and right on the trail.    Hearst doesnt get 1/4 of the traffic that Cochrane gets.   

48 minutes ago, Re:Leaf said:

^^^ I agree. One of my favourite places to stay. 

Just curious do you guys make the drive there?  Or just set as a trip destination?  I've stayed there just by sled.  Never driven right there.

31 minutes ago, gobills said:

Just curious do you guys make the drive there?  Or just set as a trip destination?  I've stayed there just by sled.  Never driven right there.

We have always ridden as we do not want to miss any chance to ride the trails to and from Hearst.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gobills said:

We generally unload in Cochrane and ride to Hearst.    Spend a couple of days in that area and then head back to Cochrane.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nunz said:

I really liked the location of the Advantage in Kap when we stayed there last year, Papa Franco's on site is a big plus and lots of parking, Rooms are a little dated but I would have no problem staying there again in the future.

You can ask for the upgraded rooms! I think the sinks are white instead of green or pink. :-) I remember that place when the pool was open.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, scottyr said:

I agree and booked this year. However, when you park the sleds in the barn, it can sometimes be a rude surprise when you open the curtain.

IMG_1384.JPG

• Confused 1

In Kap - the Advantage is right across the street from the trail ( as mentioned  ). Easy to get to.

If you're going to spend a lot of time at hotel, because you're  ' back at 4 pm", stay at Super 8. Pool, hot tub. But isolated at the Wal-Mart end of town.

Never staged from Kap. Always felt the drive was too long( but only 1 hrs 30  minutes longer). Might this year. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Canuck said:

In Kap - the Advantage is right across the street from the trail ( as mentioned  ). Easy to get to.

If you're going to spend a lot of time at hotel, because you're  ' back at 4 pm", stay at Super 8. Pool, hot tub. But isolated at the Wal-Mart end of town.

Never staged from Kap. Always felt the drive was too long( but only 1 hrs 30  minutes longer). Might this year. 

It's worth the drive, especially at the end of the season...

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 9:11 AM, Turbo Doo said:

It's worth the drive, especially at the end of the season...

We are booked!  Did you see my message?  😁😎:headbang::poke2::icon_steer:

54 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Wait, what?. You can PM me the dates..:wavey:.. Or facebook message @Mrs Turbo Doo . Maybe see you guys up there..

I sent it to you in messages here on OC  ....ooops.... if not you....who did I send it to?  SURPRISE! 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 11:41 AM, gobills said:

Have done both. Last March was the first time we drove all the way from Milton, but because of the poor conditions in K Lake, Timmins and Cochrane, we made the right choice and drove to Kap. Bonus was meeting and riding with Volunteer 2. I hope we didn't exit his comfort zone, but we had fun. The extra drive saved our trip, and kept or record of making the correct decision intact. Once you have driven to Timmins, Kap really isn't much further.

• Like 2