First trip recommendations - last week of December

Puggz

I'm thinking Cochrane and there's an abundance of hotels in the area (incl. Timmins) with free cancellation in case the conditions don't develop.

What are your recommendations? As I'll be with the Mrs, its will have to be a "nicer" hotel..lol

Also considering north of the Sioux as an alternative.

Not PQ as we have a trip planned for later in January.

Thoughts?

If you can postpone a week to let the x-mas rush subside.  Or carry on to Kapuskasing to get away from the bulk of the traffic.  Cochrane is becoming a place to avoid at x-mas and the last weeks of the season.  We're trying Lanaudiere for x-mas if the weather co-operates.  I'm hoping it isn't a zoo.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

Cedar Meadows Spa and Resort   Timmins .   Should be considered .

Just checked out Cedar Meadows on the web, looks very nice, is it close to the trails ? Snowmobile friendly ? Parking for a trailer ?

Cedar Meadows is an easy pick to keep the wife happy but if I remember correctly, over the years trails being open in Timmins at Christmas can be hit and miss compared to across the top of the NCDN. 

• Like 3

Personally after having done Cochrane the past few years through New Years  I would suggest Kap instead which is what we are likely going to do, Trails around Cochrane get beat up pretty good with the amount of traffic, I heard the Westway is already sold out for a couple nights.

Timmins can be hit or miss depending on how the season starts, few water crossings and trails that take a little longer to open for them as I recall.

Cant speak for north of SSM but might be a little early for them.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, gobills said:

Cochrane is a nuthouse at Christmas.  As said above head to Kap.  Also are you talking about the Sault?  or Sioux?  big difference in travel time.

Not to worried about the travel as long as its not a sh!t show. 

7 hours ago, Nunz said:

Personally after having done Cochrane the past few years through New Years  I would suggest Kap instead which is what we are likely going to do, Trails around Cochrane get beat up pretty good with the amount of traffic, I heard the Westway is already sold out for a couple nights.

Timmins can be hit or miss depending on how the season starts, few water crossings and trails that take a little longer to open for them as I recall.

Cant speak for north of SSM but might be a little early for them.

Have you picked dates yet for Kap?

We did Kap last year and will go back again, the ride to Hearst and beyond is really good, Cochrane is a sh*t show early in the season. Cedar Meadows is awesome right on the C trail. Depends on how the temps and snowfall is early on for Timmins so I would be careful riding out of there. Honestly wait a week or two and go mid Jan, way better conditions usually.

15 hours ago, Spanky said:

Have you picked dates yet for Kap?

Sorry we haven't yet, at this point not booking anything till I know both sleds have arrived. I can let you know once we start to plan something, would be good to see you again.

2 hours ago, Nunz said:

Sorry we haven't yet, at this point not booking anything till I know both sleds have arrived. I can let you know once we start to plan something, would be good to see you again.

Sounds good!  Would be great to see you folks again...still waiting on my '22 as well.

• Like 1

Cochrane is a great place to launch out of but I generally head west for at least a night or 2.    The traffic drops dramatically once you get to Kap and west.   

Booked a room at the travel lodge in Kap so finger's crossed :)

Thanks for all the feedback :rockon:

• Like 3

On 11/18/2021 at 3:56 PM, Puggz said:

I'm thinking Cochrane and there's an abundance of hotels in the area (incl. Timmins) with free cancellation in case the conditions don't develop.

What are your recommendations? As I'll be with the Mrs, its will have to be a "nicer" hotel..lol

Also considering north of the Sioux as an alternative.

Not PQ as we have a trip planned for later in January.

Thoughts?

I second staging from Kap.  A little further to drive from Cochrane - but lots of choice on hotels on the A trail and you can do a day trip to either Cochrane and/or Hearst either way.  I really enjoy the trails in that area as well.  We have stayed in a few hotels there - a little more upscale would be the Comfort Inn - right across the street from A trail.  Enjoy!  We are headed there as well - but not until end of Feb/early March

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Giddy UP said:

I second staging from Kap.  A little further to drive from Cochrane - but lots of choice on hotels on the A trail and you can do a day trip to either Cochrane and/or Hearst either way.  I really enjoy the trails in that area as well.  We have stayed in a few hotels there - a little more upscale would be the Comfort Inn - right across the street from A trail.  Enjoy!  We are headed there as well - but not until end of Feb/early March

Agreed. Keep us posted to the dates, eh....:icon_steer::poke2:........

1 hour ago, Puggz said:

Booked a room at the travel lodge in Kap so finger's crossed :)

Thanks for all the feedback :rockon:

Did you ask if there is a trail that connects to the A from the Travelodge? Looking at the map on their website and the ITG, it appears you have to run some streets to get to the hotel. Unless you can possibly run what appears to be a field behind the Esso and the Ford Dealership.  

On 11/18/2021 at 6:18 PM, Muskoka Bill said:

Just checked out Cedar Meadows on the web, looks very nice, is it close to the trails ? Snowmobile friendly ? Parking for a trailer ?

Cedar Meadows 
Taken in the parking lot where you also can park sleds.  Plugs available along fence for engine heaters or borrowed hair dryers. 

D2E848B9-F64B-40A2-99AC-548C7BBF1BB1.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Did you ask if there is a trail that connects to the A from the Travelodge? Looking at the map on their website and the ITG, it appears you have to run some streets to get to the hotel. Unless you can possibly run what appears to be a field behind the Esso and the Ford Dealership.  

Thats what I thought - the field..

1 hour ago, AC+YA said:

Cedar Meadows 
Taken in the parking lot where you also can park sleds.  Plugs available along fence for engine heaters or borrowed hair dryers. 

D2E848B9-F64B-40A2-99AC-548C7BBF1BB1.jpeg

Thanks for the picture AC+YA, Just booked the "Snowmobilers package" at Cedar Meadows today for Jan 17 to 21st , Hoping to run into some OC'ers while in Timmins and area. Hopefully we won't need the hair dryers to start the sleds, but I will take my looft lighter (a hair dryer on steroids for lighting charcoal BBQ's) just in case

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Puggz said:

Thats what I thought - the field..

We need some people from Kap on this forum again since there are a lot of OCer's that travel through & around there. It would be good to be able to get first hand info.

• Like 1