D108A / Dub1 getting from Dubreuilville to Hornepayne for the 2021-2022 Season

AC+YA

GREAT NEWS........

I heard that the Club Alouettes Dubreuilville have reached an agreement with the logging company and MNR to allow the east side of the 100 mile loop to be used as the connecting trail.  The interactive map shows this as "DUB1" and will act as the connector to complete the D108A.  The west side labeled as D108A will be open only to the Canadian Pacific tracks this season.  

They are brushing the trail out to the Magpie from town and also north of town D108A all the way to the railroad tracks which was the new trail not always used fully due to not being easy to groom.  With this more complete brushing it should be easier to pack a base for late season access to fishing just north of the CP tracks.  This should help keep more local support for the trails.  The road usually turns to dirt after the plows decide to remove the trail portions created along this rail crossing access road.  The equipment being used to brush is an excavator with a wide brushing head able to really cut a wide trail all the way to the ground.

Coupled with Halfway Haven opening, the trail system should be in good shape to run the big loop or to run from SSM to the northern corridor.   Logging toward White River west of Dub may keep the run to the west from opening, but I hope not. 

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, signfan said:

Is the east west tie project completed?  Or will they have portions of the trail around Wawa and out towards Marathon plowed?

Good point.  I have heard nothing about that in following Marathon starting to brush trails.  

According to their website construction carries through this winter as well with completion in the spring.  Not sure whether they'd string with trucks or helicopters.  My guess is they will need road access regardless over some parts of the line.

• Thanks 1

this is good news for this season and I applaud all involved, including the gentleman (Junior) who holds the rights to plow the Simpson side of the trail, for giving access to the sled club this season.

the club, towns, and districts, have known about both the 100 mile loop roads, will be closed to sled traffic, due to hauling and logging permanently, for the last 3 years. there needs to be a permanent solution to this on going issue, or we will be right back here again, in a year.  Ski

18 hours ago, skidooboy said:

this is good news for this season and I applaud all involved, including the gentleman (Junior) who holds the rights to plow the Simpson side of the trail, for giving access to the sled club this season.

the club, towns, and districts, have known about both the 100 mile loop roads, will be closed to sled traffic, due to hauling and logging permanently, for the last 3 years. there needs to be a permanent solution to this on going issue, or we will be right back here again, in a year.  Ski

That is absolutely the truth.  We will have to hold our breath again for the 2022 - 2023 season to see if the loggers will be OK with not using one side or the other.  I do wish that some trail could be added each year so that eventually a real trail would be available every season.  Perhaps when logging is finished some portions of new roads will be left to connect and create a trail.  

The roads do offer faster and easier riding when they are available and so many have become addicted to fast trails in that area.  Just like the northern corridor and hydro lines.  I feel a sure thing would be better than hoping for a trail each season.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AC+YA said:

That is absolutely the truth.  We will have to hold our breath again for the 2022 - 2023 season to see if the loggers will be OK with not using one side or the other.  I do wish that some trail could be added each year so that eventually a real trail would be available every season.  Perhaps when logging is finished some portions of new roads will be left to connect and create a trail.  

The roads do offer faster and easier riding when they are available and so many have become addicted to fast trails in that area.  Just like the northern corridor and hydro lines.  I feel a sure thing would be better than hoping for a trail each season.    

Dec 1996:

The first time I ever experienced 2 lane divided skidoo trails!

20 hours ago, skidooboy said:

I agree. Until the club steps up and solves the issues, it'll be a eventual dead end again...

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, AC+YA said:

GREAT NEWS........

I heard that the Club Alouettes Dubreuilville have reached an agreement with the logging company and MNR to allow the east side of the 100 mile loop to be used as the connecting trail.  The interactive map shows this as "DUB1" and will act as the connector to complete the D108A.  The west side labeled as D108A will be open only to the Canadian Pacific tracks this season.  

They are brushing the trail out to the Magpie from town and also north of town D108A all the way to the railroad tracks which was the new trail not always used fully due to not being easy to groom.  With this more complete brushing it should be easier to pack a base for late season access to fishing just north of the CP tracks.  This should help keep more local support for the trails.  The road usually turns to dirt after the plows decide to remove the trail portions created along this rail crossing access road.  The equipment being used to brush is an excavator with a wide brushing head able to really cut a wide trail all the way to the ground.

Coupled with Halfway Haven opening, the trail system should be in good shape to run the big loop or to run from SSM to the northern corridor.   Logging toward White River west of Dub may keep the run to the west from opening, but I hope not. 

Great timing thank you. Our trip has flipped back to ON from QC, and I was just drafting the trip plan last night. Looks to only be another 12KM using DUB1. I'll check my GPS data from 2020 to confirm. Doing the Northern loop counter clock wise for a change.

Hearst to Dub 2022.JPG

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Ox said:

Dec 1996:

The first time I ever experienced 2 lane divided skidoo trails!

Three seasons back when the loggers plowed open about a 20 mile portion of the northern most side on Dub1 to extricate a large cache of Birch logs, they tried to restore the destroyed  snowmobile trail by using a road grader to plow the banks back onto the road.  When the groomer returned on its way to the Kabi River, the operator found so much snow in the center of the road that it had to make a one way trail on each side of the road.   The groomer could not make headway moving the enormous packed pile and went to plan "B".  The 2 lane divided trail was back again for the season in that section.  

I have also seen the 2 lane on sections of the 100 mile loop over the years.

This at the warming shack one of my favourite places in Ontario 

6260BFAD-B28F-4226-BB87-B4D04097BA5F.jpeg

• Like 7

The warming shack……..

EF1643E9-7739-455D-819E-32FCA18921ED.jpeg

3233AB28-2F12-48D6-9D94-A40AC7368552.jpeg

2F0C28EF-589C-4F00-8CC9-8BF6D6BB4082.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turbo Doo said:

Just awesome 👌..

TD,

I think it might of been the next morning at breakfast that you introduced yourself at the Companion. 
(pics below were that night when we arrived)

62327695-29DF-49AA-9FB4-928DE338C037.jpeg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

TD,

I think it might of been the next morning at breakfast that you introduced yourself at the Companion. 
(pics below were that night when we arrived)

62327695-29DF-49AA-9FB4-928DE338C037.jpeg

You are correct @AC+YA.  I remember that. We had the rooms in the corner, just out of view in your picture, on the left hand side. Awesome conditions then. 

• Like 1

we need a forum "ride in", we could schedule it for whatever works better for the most people. some could stay at our place, if they would like. bounce back and forth between, hearst, and dub, or other options. great way to put faces to names, meet, and put forum silliness behind us. maybe a loop around the "Big Loop" where people join and depart as they see fit... Hearst, Hornepayne, Dubreuilville, Wawa, Chapleau via Halfway Haven, Folyette, Timmins, Cochrane, Smooth Rock Falls, Kap... you know, "the thing". ;) :D :nana::poke2:

Ski

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

we need a forum "ride in", we could schedule it for whatever works better for the most people. some could stay at our place, if they would like. bounce back and forth between, hearst, and dub, or other options. great way to put faces to names, meet, and put forum silliness behind us. maybe a loop around the "Big Loop" where people join and depart as they see fit... Hearst, Hornepayne, Dubreuilville, Wawa, Chapleau via Halfway Haven, Folyette, Timmins, Cochrane, Smooth Rock Falls, Kap... you know, "the thing". ;) :D :nana::poke2:

Ski

I'm in... @Mrs Turbo Doo and Myself just need our new sleds...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

Ski

Some of our last trip around the big loop…

We found Luc putting up signs while grooming. 
Stopped by SSM and Elliot Lake. 

C0288186-25D2-490A-B297-3A2A5F9EA308.jpeg

E06CFFCB-EEDB-41CA-9167-2AE176FA8389.jpeg

D8A4B43B-6FA7-44DA-B594-CBC485738499.jpeg

AB1C0AC5-964B-417F-B100-59B3D7C340F3.jpeg

7B486872-4D9A-453D-B9B2-7C12C8C74684.jpeg

1A811199-401B-4A43-AD9C-AA9B4CBCF056.jpeg

3EFB02A8-6658-4D0D-9AE0-1565FC4AB666.jpeg

ED90BE69-F3D0-44AF-B437-CBEBED7AB97B.jpeg

C0E55EE6-1922-41F4-ACDA-B25C441460DF.jpeg

9D2C618B-799B-45E6-827D-9BB988817D5E.jpeg

00B81AA2-AECC-47A2-855E-9A96F9E11D16.jpeg

18A1467E-46F3-4FC6-80AB-6B665B257DCA.jpeg

D63548F2-E122-4390-A6E8-C1958C50283F.jpeg

5ACBD1DE-1197-4188-963A-B23032435301.jpeg

81AE537A-374C-4594-B34A-27137F749B1A.jpeg

5EF2B2CA-646C-4568-8127-551CDB9D028E.jpeg

9C2EE187-16D9-4947-AF6D-9724CF2FE3D2.jpeg

20EB030A-5855-4945-80C7-51B7A56D8055.jpeg

EAADF4C5-40A8-4237-9D00-2F104477E31D.jpeg

4FDCD643-E29B-4600-9883-A510ACCAABF9.jpeg

F6459184-B3C6-439F-B5C6-D8967FFA5A7B.jpeg

58C09434-FF64-4312-9392-9AD91B1902FA.jpeg

16401964-2806-4CE4-AA9C-F2863AAB0D96.jpeg

• Like 4

Shirley the bulk of those pics aren't anywhere near Dub?

Looks like you wondered over by Marathon?

IDK who has a ski hill?

Manitauwadge?

5 minutes ago, Ox said:

They were from our last Ontario big loop before the border closed.  A week in February of 2020.

We spent only one day/night in Dubreuilville  and I don't take as many pictures as I used to take.

Pictures were from Elliot Lake to Dunlop Lake to Goulais River Valley to Dub to Hornepayne to Moonbeam Clubhouse to Smooth Rock Falls to Timmins to Foleyet to Chapleau to Searchmont to D trail.  My brother from AZ. missed a turn and the bridge on C101D between Foleyet and Chapleau.  No fish were hurt. 

Great trip and got to see Dan-Senior, & Nunz at the Dunlop Lake Lodge.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ox said:

Looks like you wondered over by Marathon?

IDK who has a ski hill?

Manitauwadge?

Ski Hill was in Searchmont riding with some of the trailblazers.  We stayed at the Blueberry and met John Breckenridge at his home.  Then we did the loop around on the D Trail and SSM5.  

• Like 3