Border crossing and vaccines - 12-17 year olds

Hoosier

I know an adult needs to be vaxxed to enter Canada but the rules aren't clear to me for a 12-17 year old. The Canada travel site says the info below. Do you know what's involved with the 14 day quarantine? We were looking into a fishing trip next summer, but I'm not sure if my unvaxxed 13 year old would be able to go. Thanks.

Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated youth 12 to 17 years of age are subject to the 14-day quarantine, and all testing requirements for pre-entry, arrival and Day-8 tests, whether or not they are accompanied by travellers who qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller.

13 hours ago, LuvMyViper said:

The last I heard from Doug Ford is the by March 28, 2022, the vaccine passport won't be required anymore. That's their timeline now are you planning on a fly-in trip?

Provincially maybe but border crossing is Federal regulated.  

yes two seperate things.

14 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I know an adult needs to be vaxxed to enter Canada but the rules aren't clear to me for a 12-17 year old. The Canada travel site says the info below. Do you know what's involved with the 14 day quarantine? We were looking into a fishing trip next summer, but I'm not sure if my unvaxxed 13 year old would be able to go. Thanks.

Unvaccinated and partially vaccinated youth 12 to 17 years of age are subject to the 14-day quarantine, and all testing requirements for pre-entry, arrival and Day-8 tests, whether or not they are accompanied by travellers who qualify as a fully vaccinated traveller.

Canada is not relenting on this issue. My advise if he/she isnt vaccinated, they will have to quarantine.

15 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Canadian or US citizen?  If a US citizen I believe they would need to be vaccinated to gain entry.  If a Canadian citizen if vaccinated no quarantine.  If unvaccinated would be subject to quarantine.  

Who knows what the rules will be by next summer though.  I suspect most of the testing will be gone, but mandatory vaccinations for non Canadian  citizens will remain in place.  It's really just a guess at this point.  They're will be a separate set of rules for US residents on their return you'd want to look into as well.

15 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Should be able to be fully vaccinated before trip next summer don’t you think?  Phizer is approved for youth above 12 years of age and most countries have reserved it for youth and people over 65 years of age.  Soon we will have vaccines for young ones below 12 years and above 6 I believe. Best bet is get everyone vaccinated and then you can cross with less hassle and enjoy your trip to Canada.  

16 hours ago, LuvMyViper said:

The last I heard from Doug Ford is the by March 28, 2022, the vaccine passport won't be required anymore. That's their timeline now are you planning on a fly-in trip?

Yeah its a fly-in trip - drive up to Red Lake and fly from there. Hard to be more socially distanced than that. But if it's the flight that's an issue we would look into a drive-in camp. Adults going on trip are vaxxed now or would be before then. For a number of reasons my son will not be vaccinated, so we would not make the trip if that's the requirement. I was wondering if an isolated fishing trip would count as quarantined although I know you need to travel to get to that spot. From the govts perspective there could be some interactions on the way.

Heard today that Disney cruises will require full vaccinations for everyone 5 years old and up since it is now approved.  Below 5 need a negative Covid test.

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah its a fly-in trip - drive up to Red Lake and fly from there. Hard to be more socially distanced than that. But if it's the flight that's an issue we would look into a drive-in camp. Adults going on trip are vaxxed now or would be before then. For a number of reasons my son will not be vaccinated, so we would not make the trip if that's the requirement. I was wondering if an isolated fishing trip would count as quarantined although I know you need to travel to get to that spot. From the govts perspective there could be some interactions on the way.

Good luck in your trip! Do you ever bottom bounce on a fly-in? We do amazing with the bottom bouncers and worm harnesses!!! We been on over 20 fly-in trips already.. Have fun!!

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

The way the quarantine rules worked here you weren't allowed to go for a drive or go into any public space until your quarantineperiod was over.  At the border you needed a plan on how to get from the border crossing to the quarantine residence with no stops.  You are basically required to stay on your own property with someone else bringing you supplies of needed.  I think you're gonna find he's not allowed in unless vaccinated, so it's a mute point.  If you have a legit medical exemption (the conditions considered legit is very small) you might get around it, but definitely need to do your homework on it.  

• 4 weeks later...