Sled purchased with 2022 Permit

Domino

A friend purchased a sled a couple of weeks ago and it already has the 2022 Season permit on it.   

Realistically, does he need to transfer it since the VIN it was purchased for is the VIN is is on?

19 hours ago, signfan said:

Legally yes.  Practically it depends what spot checks you go through.

Ya, thinking that is the answer.  I've never been asked for the permit paperwork, and it doesn't say it required, just recommended.   

I'm not sure I have the time to explain to him how it would all need to work  ;)

24 minutes ago, Domino said:

Ya, thinking that is the answer.  I've never been asked for the permit paperwork, and it doesn't say it required, just recommended.   

I'm not sure I have the time to explain to him how it would all need to work  ;)

15 dollars to do a proper transfer, use to be not sure if fee is same now? I am sure one email to ofsc might get it straightened out. Another way is to ask old owner for receipt and just carry that saying you bought sled off him and it came with permit. I doubt it if anyone going to ask for permit paper work anyways. At least he have it to prove permit wasn’t stolen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Domino said:

Bingo - I have never been asked for paperwork associated with the permit on my sled.

I have also been stopped by OPP that were not even checking for permits, just all the other paperwork - always an officer in a cruiser sitting on the road by a trail crossing, so not part of the SAVE unit is my assumption.

• Like 2

I recently sold a sled that I had ordered a permit for.   The permit will be applied to my new sled.

So technically When I stick the permit on my new sled technically I should also pay $15 and change sled listed on my permit paperwork?

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

I recently sold a sled that I had ordered a permit for.   The permit will be applied to my new sled.

So technically When I stick the permit on my new sled technically I should also pay $15 and change sled listed on my permit paperwork?

After Dec.1 you can go back into your OFSC account and there is one page where you can click on transfer. I believe it is the page where your sleds are listed. 

1 hour ago, Sksman said:

Yes that's the process.

On 11/16/2021 at 10:21 AM, Domino said:

Don't quote me on this but almost any Trail Patroller I know does NOT ask to see the paperwork for the permit itself, we only care that you have one... The OPP is another issue but again I highly doubt there would be an issue seeing as how the permit was registered to that sled, its not like it came from a different windshield or sled..

How ya been banana breath, hope all is well in Kashe Land!

I have only been asked for the receipt once and that was in Quebec.   I was the only person who was asked for their receipt of all the guys in my group and the cop told me that everyone else had their permits stuck to their hoods and I had mine on the glove box lid.    He said that he has caught lots of Ontario guys who just take their glove box lid off and lend it to a buddy while they are in Quebec and he now checks every sled that has the permit place there.   

• Like 2

19 hours ago, scottyr said:

I have only been asked for the receipt once and that was in Quebec.   I was the only person who was asked for their receipt of all the guys in my group and the cop told me that everyone else had their permits stuck to their hoods and I had mine on the glove box lid.    He said that he has caught lots of Ontario guys who just take their glove box lid off and lend it to a buddy while they are in Quebec and he now checks every sled that has the permit place there.   

makes sense

Legally licensed & INSURED,  in good faith you've purchased a permit with your name on the paperwork. Who cares if the actual sticker isn't for the new machine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, burndog said:

Legally licensed & INSURED,  in good faith you've purchased a permit with your name on the paperwork. Who cares if the actual sticker isn't for the new machine.

KISS method...

But as noted above, I can see if you place the pass on a portion of the sled where you could share it with other sleds, as being an issue and require the paperwork to prove this is not the situation.

• Like 1

Permit is on the windshield and registered to the correct VIN.   I think that is the important thing.   The permit for the sled, not the rider.   It really seems ridiculous to have to transfer it.  

Seems like a make work project for the OFSC and the Owner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Domino said:

Permit is on the windshield and registered to the correct VIN.   I think that is the important thing.   The permit for the sled, not the rider.   It really seems ridiculous to have to transfer it.  

Seems like a make work project for the OFSC and the Owner.

Since the 

On 11/24/2021 at 10:39 AM, Viper said:

Don't quote me on this but almost any Trail Patroller I know does NOT ask to see the paperwork for the permit itself, we only care that you have one... The OPP is another issue but again I highly doubt there would be an issue seeing as how the permit was registered to that sled, its not like it came from a different windshield or sled..

How ya been banana breath, hope all is well in Kashe Land!

Since technically there is no such thing as a Trail Patrol any longer, I don't think that a Trail Ambassador (LOL) can legally ask for permit paperwork or actually do anything about non permited sleds. JMHO, the day the OFSC got in bed with the MTO was not a positive day for Ontario snowmobiling.