Washing covers

Dave K

I have two Skidoo trailering covers for my sleds.  Has anyone ever tried to wash them in the washing machine?  I have hosed them down before, but never put them in a washing machine.

I would likely hang to dry in the basement.

I never had the nerve to try them in the washing machine for fear of tearing straps or plastic snaps or screwing up the washing machine. I always used the power washer on mine then hung to dry. Worked pretty well.

I did it with the super light weight cover that came with my old early 90's yamaha. The cover and machine survived fine. Not so much my ears, from my wife giving me grief over it. I now use the power washer on the heavier canvas covers on my Polaris sleds. 

BP

• Like 2

I was thinking of doing it at a laundromat.  I could do the snaps/buckles up before putting it in there.

My pressure washer is a large one that i use on the farm.  High flow rate, high psi,  I would be more concerned using it, than putting it in the washing machine.

Been a while since I used covers, but I think I may have washed mine at a laundromat when I did - when I sold the sleds that had covers, I know I sold them with the covers, so must have been successful!

I would not have removed any of the straps either.

I took them to the Laundromat this afternoon,  $8 and 23 minutes later 2 covers were washed, now spread out in the house drying out.

Didn't seem to hurt them at all.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Dave K said:

I took them to the Laundromat this afternoon,  $8 and 23 minutes later 2 covers were washed, now spread out in the house drying out.

Didn't seem to hurt them at all.

I have done boat canvass at the laundry mat a couple of times.   Needed to re-apply water-proofing on the canvass.   You may want to do that to the covers also. 

I use 303 for Canvass water proofing.

303.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stoney said:

You can also buy products that you wash the article with to reapply waterproofing to them.

Thanks,  may try this next year, or whenever I wash them again.

On 11/15/2021 at 12:14 PM, Dave K said:

I have two Skidoo trailering covers for my sleds.  Has anyone ever tried to wash them in the washing machine?  I have hosed them down before, but never put them in a washing machine.

I would likely hang to dry in the basement.

I have done them in bath tub before works good. Let it soak with car wash soap for a few hours and rinse off with shower head. 
Then spin them in washing machine and hang dry. 👍

• Like 3

On 11/16/2021 at 11:07 AM, Domino said:

I have done boat canvass at the laundry mat a couple of times.   Needed to re-apply water-proofing on the canvass.   You may want to do that to the covers also. 

I use 303 for Canvass water proofing.

303.png

That 303 Fabric guard is good stuff, but rather expensive.

23 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Get an enclosed trailer and throw covers out. I am glad I don’t have to wash and take cover off and on sled no more 😎

Luckily enough, the trailer never left the farm during sledding season.

2 sleds, almost 4000 km combined, and trailer had 0 kms.  Hard to justify at that rate.

I also use the trailer, (3 place open Triton) as a flat bed if i need to get 20 ft steel etc.. for repairs etc...  Whole lot easier than having 14 ft of steel hanging over the tailgate of the pickup truck.  🤣 

I can load firewood on it, 4 quads for Atv'ing etc...

• Like 2