Quebec Has It Right for Those Caught Freeloading - $700 for Permit Sold on Trail

bbakernbay

Of course here in Ontario we virtually let Freeloaders continue Freeloading with minimal enforcement, toothless Trail Patrol and insufficient penalties courtesy of unsupportive MTO and politicians.

I guarantee they don’t fool around with freeloaders on Quebec trails, especially in Temiscaming where QPP supports their Trail Patrol 100%.

6F9759FE-4335-43D3-974B-1ACD4F5448BA.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Of course here in Ontario we virtually let Freeloaders continue Freeloading with minimal enforcement, toothless Trail Patrol and insufficient penalties courtesy of unsupportive MTO and politicians.

I guarantee they don’t fool around with freeloaders on Quebec trails, especially in Temiscaming where QPP supports their Trail Patrol 100%.

6F9759FE-4335-43D3-974B-1ACD4F5448BA.jpeg

Free loading isn’t as big of a deal in ontario as it appears to be. Sure there are some riding without visible permits on windshield. Most have purchased multi day passes or an in season permit and are riding with paper work in thier pocket and or on their phone, waiting for permit to come in mail. I purchased an in season permit last year and never got it until second week of March.  Never bothered putting it on snowmobile last year, since riding season was over by then. 
Even when police do trail patrol checks in area very few riders are found without permits, in past. In a typically weekend they would find a few riders without paper work and trail permits.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

We need more enforcement!

3500kms last season and 0 OPP checks

6000kms year before, 1 OPP check

I definitely agree 34 years of trail riding and only one speeding ticket 🎫 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

We need more enforcement!

3500kms last season and 0 OPP checks

6000kms year before, 1 OPP check

Ride in the Bracebridge area, couple yrs ago got stopped just north of Gravenhurst for full papers check, and then as i got to Bracebridge stopped for full papers check , left town went north on D and got stopped again  for a full papers check all in an hour.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

You can ride in Quebec and not get stopped also.  In 3 trips only ever stopped once and they did not check paperwork or look for temporary passes.  It was more social at an intersection.  

Quebec is also very strict on aftermarket exhaust.  $1,000 fine and a tow truck home

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sksman said:

You can ride in Quebec and not get stopped also.  In 3 trips only ever stopped once and they did not check paperwork or look for temporary passes.  It was more social at an intersection.  

Quebec is also very strict on aftermarket exhaust.  $1,000 fine and a tow truck home

Hadn't been in the Belle province for quite a bit. Was there in 2020 for 4 days of riding. Valcourt  to chibougamou.  No one checking for pemits      

I have found that enforcement in QC is also done in some areas by the local businesses at gas stations and restaurants by people serving you...making sure you are in compliance - likely experienced that more that trail side checks by the QPP.

Ghurst and surrounding area can be bad for multiple trail or road side checks in a fairly small area & window by different officers - can get annoying, but such is life.

Lake Simcoe and surrounding area used to see a fair amount of OPP traffic - not sure that is still the case as of late.

Otherwise, it does seem you do not run into them all that much - but lately I tend to get my rides in early so I am off the trails by mid-afternoon when they tend to be more active.

And we all now know that if you want to see some good OPP enforcement, just have the local health twit for that region shut the trail system down and they come from miles around to ensure all are abiding the "laws".......:coffeenose:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, stoney said:

And we all now know that if you want to see some good OPP enforcement, just have the local health twit for that region shut the trail system down and they come from miles around to ensure all are abiding the "laws".......:coffeenose:

That'll happen soon enough,  don't worry...

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, stoney said:

I have found that enforcement in QC is also done in some areas by the local businesses at gas stations and restaurants by people serving you...making sure you are in compliance - likely experienced that more that trail side checks by the QPP.

That would work with touring riders in larger city centres but, try that in a small northern community, trying to get everyone, including the locals... and those that enforce it, would be out of business the first winter. it would spread through town like a wild fire, and those getting outed by the business owner, would tell their friends, family and like minded neighbors, and they would group together to stop utilizing that service in that town. 

It is bad enough when you have kids on bikes, atv's, sxs, sleds, ripping up community, and private property with pics, video, etc... and when confronted, the parents say... "that is not my kid, in that pic, video, prove it". yes, it happens. Ski

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, skidooboy said:

That would work with touring riders in larger city centres but, try that in a small northern community, trying to get everyone, including the locals... and those that enforce it, would be out of business the first winter. it would spread through town like a wild fire, and those getting outed by the business owner, would tell their friends, family and like minded neighbors, and they would group together to stop utilizing that service in that town. 

It is bad enough when you have kids on bikes, atv's, sxs, sleds, ripping up community, and private property with pics, video, etc... and when confronted, the parents say... "that is not my kid, in that pic, video, prove it". yes, it happens. Ski

The only places we have witnessed this is smaller northern QC towns - the thing is, I do not think QC has the same problem we have have with "locals" scamming or disrespecting the system, they tend to have more respect for the sport or perhaps that life style that they take far more serious than people in ON as whole.

12 hours ago, skidooboy said:

I have seen the signs at gas pumps in New Brunswick and Quebec, but all were clubhouse's along trails outside of towns.  Sometimes at self-serve gas............

Nice thought, but no real teeth without an attendant willing to push it.  Yes, most traffic was touring and only stopping for food and gas. 

• Like 1

My daughter and l witnessed  trail side justice Quebec style at the Pohenegamook club house . 4 Riders pull up one no permit one with pipes .  Result one permit bought at full price plus. one went off on a flat bed.  Everyone stayed calm the guys handled the punishment like champs . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, zx7rr said:

Ride in the Bracebridge area, couple yrs ago got stopped just north of Gravenhurst for full papers check, and then as i got to Bracebridge stopped for full papers check , left town went north on D and got stopped again  for a full papers check all in an hour.  

I had the same thing happened.  Two of the checks were the same cops.  Apparently the first time they stopped me for a full paperwork check wasn't good enough.  Had to show it all again.

19 hours ago, zx7rr said:

We are famous for our floating bridge and lots of spot checks 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AC+YA said:

I have seen the signs at gas pumps in New Brunswick and Quebec, but all were clubhouse's along trails outside of towns.  Sometimes at self-serve gas............

Nice thought, but no real teeth without an attendant willing to push it.  Yes, most traffic was touring and only stopping for food and gas. 

The first time we experienced it years ago we were kind of confused.....we were gassing up at a small full serve station and see the guy checking over our sleds, we inquired with him if he saw something odd or something else, he explained what he as doing and that was our experience, than started to notice the same type of interaction elsewhere.

We were all in compliance, so no biggie and thought it was actually a good thing.

Now with the online purchasing, it can be not as obvious of course......but with the stiff penalties, you seem to hardly hear about this in QC - which of course is what this thread is all about!

Most if not all here would love to see the penalties significantly higher and I am sure there is a reason why they are not - honestly not sure why, maybe someone could explain that though?

• Thanks 1

Somewhat similar story. Was coming down from Matagami to Amos and got behind two couples, with Trail Patrol vests on, riding the center of the trail. Lots of straight stretches, so I pulled to the left side so I could be clearly seen in the compulsory left hand mirror, not too close, but close enough to suggest we wanted to pass them. Would not move, 50km\hr steady state, KM after KM. 

As we were doing 900KM in 2.5 days, plan was to be at AMOS at noon, not 3PM time. We passed them. Well, it was really cold for March, so soon after we stopped at a warm up shack. They show up, and walk all around our two sleds, check the temp trail permit, and keep looking for the reg. plate. Finally come in and ask why we don't have a plate installed. I fill him in on the custom numbers. 

I believe a lot of Quebec permit holders are also more stringent that everyone they ride with has a permit.   I have ridden with 2 different groups and the Quebec permitted sled riders always made sure we had our 3 days or 1 day.

They also cringed and were a little pissed when one guy had a can on his sled.   

• Like 2

Im liking what im hearing from quebec system,we could learn a few things in ontario ,loud pipes have no place on trails.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, wrightonalan said:

Im liking what im hearing from quebec system,we could learn a few things in ontario ,loud pipes have no place on trails.

X2 !

cheers

This was the free weekend 2 years ago.   The kid on the MXZ was with our group.    He got a $400 ticket within 30 mins of leaving Rouyn for a can.  

3E22FAB5-2507-4885-81F9-0D9CD46648C8.jpeg