2022 900 Turbo R tuning..

Turbo Doo

2 hours ago, stoney said:

I agree......in the performance world, the folks that do this for a living, or even as a hobby are very persistent and knowledgeable.......just give them time and they will succeed!

Personally I have no interest in modding my sled.....might be because I was always very hesitant about doing that to my 2-smokes, but obviously 4-strokes are different breed......that and I have lost the bug for that stuff, use to love it & spent hours upon hours doing it, cannot believe I am saying that actually..... 

I used to be the biggest mod guy around but on a newer 2 stroke you have to spend SOOOO much money to get minor gains, it just isnt worth it anymore.     4 strokes on the other hand seem to be easy to mod.   

12 minutes ago, scottyr said:

I used to be the biggest mod guy around but on a newer 2 stroke you have to spend SOOOO much money to get minor gains, it just isnt worth it anymore.     4 strokes on the other hand seem to be easy to mod.   

But, @192HP, why mod it, to be 194 HP? (Not a shot at you, just questioning the point of any sled over 130HP- philosophically?)

(Why did I buy it, my buddy wanted the MACH to 'treat himself" on a new sled - our group philosophy is to try and have pairs of the same type of sled so that knowledge is spread out. Plus, I only have about 5 years of sledding left in me, and I figure it will be easier to sell the R than it would be to sell the ACE 130.) :-)

3 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

But, @192HP, why mod it, to be 194 HP? (Not a shot at you, just questioning the point of any sled over 130HP- philosophically?)

(Why did I buy it, my buddy wanted the MACH to 'treat himself" on a new sled - our group philosophy is to try and have pairs of the same type of sled so that knowledge is spread out. Plus, I only have about 5 years of sledding left in me, and I figure it will be easier to sell the R than it would be to sell the ACE 130.) :-)

Because you can and that is what guys do... :) ... lol

Just look at the mod's done on past sleds in similar caliber.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2021 at 10:44 AM, stoney said:

I agree......in the performance world, the folks that do this for a living, or even as a hobby are very persistent and knowledgeable.......just give them time and they will succeed!

Personally I have no interest in modding my sled.....might be because I was always very hesitant about doing that to my 2-smokes, but obviously 4-strokes are different breed......that and I have lost the bug for that stuff, use to love it & spent hours upon hours doing it, cannot believe I am saying that actually..... 

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That sounds barely crackable to me?    Sending an ECU to the USA and waiting 3-4 weeks to get it back is not worth the hassle.   Notice they didnt even mention the cost of this service.   I guarantee that if they are the only people who are getting into the ECUs, they will want $1000 for this service.   

2 hours ago, scottyr said:

That sounds barely crackable to me?    Sending an ECU to the USA and waiting 3-4 weeks to get it back is not worth the hassle.   Notice they didnt even mention the cost of this service.   I guarantee that if they are the only people who are getting into the ECUs, they will want $1000 for this service.   

It is a just a start - stepping stone in the direction many want to see and go......so an exciting achievement for many.

It will be a while yet before it becomes mainstream, just like any other process when people are looking for this type of modification.

Local shops or guys with the knowledge and interest will piggy back off of this as time passes.....bringing the cost and timeline down at some point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stoney said:

It is a just a start - stepping stone in the direction many want to see and go......so an exciting achievement for many.

It will be a while yet before it becomes mainstream, just like any other process when people are looking for this type of modification.

Local shops or guys with the knowledge and interest will piggy back off of this as time passes.....bringing the cost and timeline down at some point.

Well said @stoney...

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Well it's happening.  :smil9::evil2:..

BRP, get me my 2 '22 900 Turbo R's, Pronto........:icon_steer:

Screenshot_20211122-201425_Samsung Internet.jpg

They went the "Vortex" route and just replaced the ECU instead of trying to work around the stocker.     I had to go the same way with my Husqvarna FE350 after KTM locked the boxes down tight and made it impossible to refash.   It truly is the best way to do it but it gets pricey.   My Vortex box was $1000 US.   I am sure these boxes will cost the same or more.   

2 minutes ago, scottyr said:

They went the "Vortex" route and just replaced the ECU instead of trying to work around the stocker.     I had to go the same way with my Husqvarna FE350 after KTM locked the boxes down tight and made it impossible to refash.   It truly is the best way to do it but it gets pricey.   My Vortex box was $1000 US.   I am sure these boxes will cost the same or more.   

Non the less,  it's happening where some said it would not. New SS suspension fully functional also. Hats off, I'm sure there is more to come from other tuners.  Sounds like Precision sports, not to be confused with Precision EFI,  will have something soon also. 

• Like 1

As EPA emission penalties increase I think that the days of cracking ECUs may be behind us.   A combo of the VW car scandal and HD emission fines have manufacturers pretty scared.  Replacing the entire ECU is going to become the norm in the next few years with just about any powersport machine.  

1 hour ago, scottyr said:

As EPA emission penalties increase I think that the days of cracking ECUs may be behind us.   A combo of the VW car scandal and HD emission fines have manufacturers pretty scared.  Replacing the entire ECU is going to become the norm in the next few years with just about any powersport machine.  

Good points to make.  👍 

• 2 weeks later...

DynoTechs 2022 Mach Z dyno run, at low boost. Pretty sure '22 900 R boost is 17psi. Remember it takes about 2 to 3 tanks of fuel before the stock ECU really opens up. So back to back against the Precision EFI dyno run I posted early,  and as DynoTechs dyno reads a little heavy,  it seems all 900Rs will be in and about the same power level. Clutching is different on the Mach, then the other 900 R's.  Machs get a bit better ramp profile iirc..interesting stuff...At the end of the day, imo, all the 900 R's will run neck in neck with each other... 

Machs will differ with clutch ramps and launch control, from the other 900 R's. Gearing is the same across the board.  27/45 gearing..

Screenshot_20211201-212827_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 3

I don't consider myself old, but geez I feel old looking around and seeing the technology going on - it's too much for me personally- but sure must be fun for those who get it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, catinental couch said:

Funny how the Barney turbo would handle the 300 tune and much more!!! 
lol 😆 

Just the DD and reverse servo were prone to cause issues.......and stay out of the deeper snow, tank sank like a rock....LOL !

The DD gave no real trouble except we had to gear it up because it still had a bunch left on the table but it hit the rev limiter. 
The reverse motor was a pos and cat warranted it as well as the position sensor(switch) twice. Although the replacement reverse motor was not a make that I would call a quality unit, it never gave any trouble for the remaining time I owned it. New CCU under warranty and an O2 sensor as well as replacing the drivers’ heated seat element and seat cover. 
As far as deep snow, the 144 track was very surprising at how well it performed.   When I stepped off the machine and was looking up at the seat, I realized that this tank was pretty impressive. 
I was not convinced when I first bought one but my curiosity got the best of me.