RAP

volsla

Hey sledders!!!

i hope that u are all well.

The winter is coming and i have started dreaming of the RAP (never done it before).

Could you guys tell me what is the best direction (clockwise or counterCW)?

How many days should i plan for it (not to fast not to slow)?

Where i can leave my track and trailer (to be sure the place is safe)?

any advice would be appreciated. 

thanks and see u on the trails.

Do a quick search on here.  There are many posts on this topic.  Lots of info regarding hotels, gas, food etc.

So many variables come into play for this as well.  Starting point timing of the trip etc.

thanks for that info; however, the search didn't return any good info.

don't refer me to google, man

12 hours ago, volsla said:

thanks for that info; however, the search didn't return any good info.

don't refer me to google, man

Something is wrong with the search box in this website. I Tried RAP and no results, R.A.P.  came up with found no results but there was 1 result listed below. Same thing when I tried R.A.P. Tour, it said no response but 2 responses were listed when I scrolled down. There should be many responses as this has been a popoulat topic on OC.

8 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Something is wrong with the search box in this website. I Tried RAP and no results, R.A.P.  came up with found no results but there was 1 result listed below. Same thing when I tried R.A.P. Tour, it said no response but 2 responses were listed when I scrolled down. There should be many responses as this has been a popoulat topic on OC.

Yup took me a bit to find that post above.  

16 hours ago, gobills said:

thanks guys. my biggest concern is where to park the truck and trailer, for few days. Thieves have been very active for the last few years.

7 minutes ago, volsla said:

thanks guys. my biggest concern is where to park the truck and trailer, for few days. Thieves have been very active for the last few years.

I do not think that is such a big issue around these parts - at least not that I am aware of....sure it happens, but I would say not a lot.

I see you are in Newmarket, so the closest drop point is Haliburton or Dorset area, Raven Lake parking lot just South of Dorset has never been an issue, other than people that do not park with some common sense of course :headbang:.

Start mid-week and you will not have an issue finding a spot here for truck & trailer, trail is right there......just park sensibly please for others that want to park there as well!

thanks for the input.

I always park with respect to others )))

Yes, i am planning to start Sunday or Monday.

Is there any difference to ride clockwise or counterCW?

Smith's gas station in Port Sydney, safe spot to leave a vehicle and a good spot to start the RAP from. 

3 hours ago, volsla said:

thanks for the input.

I always park with respect to others )))

Yes, i am planning to start Sunday or Monday.

Is there any difference to ride clockwise or counterCW?

Same distance both ways LOL. We seem to gravitate to going clockwise  in the 3 out of 4 times we have ridden it. If there is some particular places you would like to stay it may make a difference on how your daily distances work out. If you are leaving on Sunday rough trails later in the day are a probable issue. I would suggest deciding on the parking spot and then ride the direction you think will be smoother late Sunday and Monday as those days often have the roughest trails in many areas.  Personally I would leave mid week as we often got more well groomed trails Wed./Thurs/ Fri.

• Like 1

Leave from the Delta Pinestone in Haliburton.  Big built up resort.  Drive up the night before you start your ride.  I've done the full RAP twice and have ridden most of the portions of the loop on numerours other trips.  I don't think direction really matters.  Bigger concern is picking your week correct as conditions can vary greatly from one side of the park to the other in a low snow season.  I'd suggest 2nd week of February.  It's always a crap shoot booking out ahead, but that time of year is generally pretty reliable for the RAP.  How many kms a day do you ride and how many days do you want to take?