Haliburton Forest

gtserider

I dont, they make huge money of sledders and atvs.  I think there is more to it.  Maybe regulations are becoming to strict for having that many dogs.  Maybe cost is too high for small return.

24 minutes ago, gobills said:

I dont, they make huge money of sledders and atvs.  I think there is more to it.  Maybe regulations are becoming to strict for having that many dogs.  Maybe cost is too high for small return.

Those where also some of there reasons they gave. I just had the feeling they are. going to shift there world wide marketing to more of an eco theme.Could be wrong but thats were the money is.  Peter is a very smart guy.I guess the money I gave them over the last 50yrs wasn't enough.

Peter is long gone.  I think Go Bills is correct on regulations, a few dog sled companies have came under fire lately for treatment of their dogs.  The Forest was always busy with their dog tours, in fact people were paying to walk their dogs in the summer.  From what I'm told the snowmobiling is not in jeopardy.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, gtserider said:

Those where also some of there reasons they gave. I just had the feeling they are. going to shift there world wide marketing to more of an eco theme.Could be wrong but thats were the money is.  Peter is a very smart guy.I guess the money I gave them over the last 50yrs wasn't enough.

Tree huggers like to hug trees.  Not sure they pay much to do it though.  I think I'd pick a snowmobilier over a eco tourist for revenue generation if it were my business.

• Like 2

Dog sledding for the forest is costly & the interest in it is dying.  The cost of doing an event is costly and to cancel it at the last minute do to bad weather is worse. The forest has a lot of dogs to look after all year & there is not a lot of interest anymore in these areas. My snowmobile club would donate time to groom the trails for a local dog sled event every year. This did not happen much because it would get canceled a lot do to bad weather. It was canceled more then it was run to the point that the event is now no longer happening. 

You dont half to worry about snowmobiling in the forest.  It will be there for a while.  One good thing that is happening is the cookhouse.  New people are taking it over. I am hoping it will be better then the last. I know there was a lot of complaints of very long waits & not much choice for a basic lunch. I know paying $55 to ride then spending 2 hours at the cookhouse was the biggest complaint.