Sled wheels or dollies for short driveway runs this winter???

Candubrain

After reviewing what everyone is using and finding out what works with the TS ski and what doesn't, I may have to resort to putting the Rouski wheels back on.

But before doing that I need to figure out some way to keep them in the retracted position as the spring preload is not enough when conditions are rough, such as going across a ploughed field at speed.    The stutter bumps as I call them have caught me twice, where an oscillation sets up causing the wheel to eventual bounce into the engaged position.   When that happens that ski catches and almost flips the sled.

I'm sure if I rode at the posted speed, (50Kph) this wouldn't be an issue.   But in all honesty, an open field, far away from a house, who doesn't open it up a bit.

Any suggestions on how to lock the Rouski Wheel in place instead of relying on the spring preload?

thanks

brian

7 hours ago, Candubrain said:

After reviewing what everyone is using and finding out what works with the TS ski and what doesn't, I may have to resort to putting the Rouski wheels back on.

But before doing that I need to figure out some way to keep them in the retracted position as the spring preload is not enough when conditions are rough, such as going across a ploughed field at speed.    The stutter bumps as I call them have caught me twice, where an oscillation sets up causing the wheel to eventual bounce into the engaged position.   When that happens that ski catches and almost flips the sled.

I'm sure if I rode at the posted speed, (50Kph) this wouldn't be an issue.   But in all honesty, an open field, far away from a house, who doesn't open it up a bit.

Any suggestions on how to lock the Rouski Wheel in place instead of relying on the spring preload?

thanks

brian

I've had Rouski's since 2006 and the only time they were down when I didn't want them down was when I forgot to put them back up LOL. I have never been accused of driving too slow but never had your problem. The ones I bought in 2006 had (I believe)3  spring tension settings. I'm not sure if the newer versions have that same feature but if they do, that might help your issue.

16 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I've had Rouski's since 2006 and the only time they were down when I didn't want them down was when I forgot to put them back up LOL. I have never been accused of driving too slow but never had your problem. The ones I bought in 2006 had (I believe)3  spring tension settings. I'm not sure if the newer versions have that same feature but if they do, that might help your issue.

I’m not aware of being able to adjust the preload but I will look into this.   Thank you

brian

1 hour ago, Candubrain said:

I’m not aware of being able to adjust the preload but I will look into this.   Thank you

brian

You likely already know this but you can rotate the plastic knob on the hand grip of the wheels so it would go further to a rest position which may also help your issue.

I think real aggressive riders don’t like wheels and I have heard of a few cases of them coming down, when people jump sled like in Bryan’s case. Also complaints about throwing powder snow too at rider. 
Lots of people like them too. Never had them so been sitting on fence about getting them. So far carbides seem to last 10,000 km’s.  

21 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You likely already know this but you can rotate the plastic knob on the hand grip of the wheels so it would go further to a rest position which may also help your issue.

Hmmm.  Nothing on the Rouskis.  Are you talking about the wheels made by  Qualipieces?

20 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

I think real aggressive riders don’t like wheels and I have heard of a few cases of them coming down, when people jump sled like in Bryan’s case. Also complaints about throwing powder snow too at rider. 
Lots of people like them too. Never had them so been sitting on fence about getting them. So far carbides seem to last 10,000 km’s.  

Bought a new set of 5” TS carbides but will hold off until mid winter to install once the trails have a good base

As with your findings,  9k on mine and probably 60% of the original carbide thickness still there but very dull

1 hour ago, Candubrain said:

Hmmm.  Nothing on the Rouskis.  Are you talking about the wheels made by  Qualipieces?

I tried to download a simple phone picture of the handle with knob on my sled but keep getting a message saying the picture is more than the 2MB max total size. I have no idea how to resize it or even if that is an option.  At any rate, maybe the Doo wheels don't have the knob. Mine are Gen 3 Rouski's on Yammie Tuner ski's.

• 2 weeks later...

just ordered these from Royal Distributing, they give a gift card worth 25% of the purchase

https://www.royaldistributing.com/extreme-max-power-wheels-steerable-dolly-5800-02.html

55 minutes ago, Candubrain said:

just ordered these from Royal Distributing, they give a gift card worth 25% of the purchase

https://www.royaldistributing.com/extreme-max-power-wheels-steerable-dolly-5800-02.html

the front two dollies will be ok but, you will hate that rear single wheel. need a 2nd person to hold it level, while you lift the rear and place it on there, trying not to crush the other persons fingers, hands, and not destroy your back or shoulders, in the process. too much effort for my liking 

the ones with 3-4 level casters are "easier" for one person. just lift the sled, and slide the track over the platform. 

your results may vary. Ski 

• Like 3