Sled wheels or dollies for short driveway runs this winter???

Candubrain

I've taken the Rouski wheels off my TS skis and won't be putting anything like them back on.

I have a concrete driveway and want something that I can slip under the skis so the carbides don't damage the driveway.   This will be for those occasions I'm not trailering and want to ride through town to get to the trail.

Found negatives on just about everything out there.  For example, the Extreme Max dollies that secure with two cables, you sometimes need pliers to unhook the cable as they get wedged in and won't come out of their locked position.   Maxx Super Savers, flex and bend easily.    Some do not fit with the TS Ski as the spindles are much bigger than a standard spindle.

Thoughts and suggestions ?

thanks

brian

how about something like this? https://www.denniskirk.com/skinz/ski-guards-sg100-bk.p106040.prd/106040.sku

or this is what we use on our asphalt, they have rubber wheels instead of plastic and roll nicely... a lot better than the cheap plastic wheeled caddies. aluminum version: https://www.extrememax.com/product-p/5800.0225.htm

steel version: https://www.extrememax.com/product-p/5800.0232.htm

they are not cheap but, they roll so nice, even on rough or poor surfaces, sans dirt, gravel. the rubber wheels are the key here.

you could buy the cheap economy version, then buy the replacement rubber wheels: https://www.extrememax.com/product-p/5800.0246.htm

economy caddy: https://www.extrememax.com/product-p/5800.2000.htm

Ski

3 hours ago, Candubrain said:

I've taken the Rouski wheels off my TS skis and won't be putting anything like them back on.

I have a concrete driveway and want something that I can slip under the skis so the carbides don't damage the driveway.   This will be for those occasions I'm not trailering and want to ride through town to get to the trail.

Found negatives on just about everything out there.  For example, the Extreme Max dollies that secure with two cables, you sometimes need pliers to unhook the cable as they get wedged in and won't come out of their locked position.   Maxx Super Savers, flex and bend easily.    Some do not fit with the TS Ski as the spindles are much bigger than a standard spindle.

Thoughts and suggestions ?

thanks

brian

https://www.royaldistributing.com/sno-stuff-universal-ski-boots-pair-503-505.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw8KmLBhB8EiwAQbqNoNN3Nz5ibC0j_4hipM6EmInoDvIQ3UVt-wJ83O-goMpcJ-KUFEAW-RoCILsQAvD_BwE

that’s what I use and can drive sled every where. Dollies are in corner collecting dust now. I drive right into boots outside put a nylon pin there the ski loop. Drive right in Garage and back right out. No more turning sled around or pushing it. Water ruins dollies in a hurry too and they always fell off too. Great for loading sled into a truck or trailer bed too. No more catching or carbide damage. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

https://www.royaldistributing.com/sno-stuff-universal-ski-boots-pair-503-505.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw8KmLBhB8EiwAQbqNoNN3Nz5ibC0j_4hipM6EmInoDvIQ3UVt-wJ83O-goMpcJ-KUFEAW-RoCILsQAvD_BwE

that’s what I use and can drive sled every where. Dollies are in corner collecting dust now. I drive right into boots outside put a nylon pin there the ski loop. Drive right in Garage and back right out. No more turning sled around or pushing it. Water ruins dollies in a hurry too and they always fell off too. Great for loading sled into a truck or trailer bed too. No more catching or carbide damage. 

Do you have a picture of them on with pin through the ski loop?

14 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

I use these for running on the drive way 

IMG_20211016_151222677.jpg

How do they attach to the ski Nick? Also, where can you buy them? Thanks in advance.

14 hours ago, volunteer2 said:

You don't find they flex and bend too easily?   That is what I've read on a oouple reviews

20 hours ago, skidooboy said:

how about something like this? https://www.denniskirk.com/skinz/ski-guards-sg100-bk.p106040.prd/106040.sku

or this is what we use on our asphalt, they have rubber wheels instead of plastic and roll nicely... a lot better than the cheap plastic wheeled caddies. aluminum version: https://www.extrememax.com/product-p/5800.0225.htm

steel version: https://www.extrememax.com/product-p/5800.0232.htm

they are not cheap but, they roll so nice, even on rough or poor surfaces, sans dirt, gravel. the rubber wheels are the key here.

you could buy the cheap economy version, then buy the replacement rubber wheels: https://www.extrememax.com/product-p/5800.0246.htm

economy caddy: https://www.extrememax.com/product-p/5800.2000.htm

Ski

thanks for the suggestions, the skinz are a great idea, but there would be no ability to turn with them on.

I've hadn't seen the V shaped dolly....thanks

19 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Only problem I see with them is the inability to turn.    Great idea though

52 minutes ago, Candubrain said:

thanks for the suggestions, the skinz are a great idea, but there would be no ability to turn with them on.

I've hadn't seen the V shaped dolly....thanks

if you are just going in and out of the driveway, to the snow, why the need to turn? line em up on the inside, and drive out, line em up on the outside, and drive in. :D 

in reality the v dollies, work pretty well, you can roll, turn, spin the sled around pretty easy. hardest part is getting the rear dolly under the track, by yourself. Ski

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Candubrain said:

Only problem I see with them is the inability to turn.    Great idea though

Sled slides pretty easy with boots on, front end wise. Rolls real nice out of trailer without catching, both ways too. If you have a studed Track you are better off with wheels though as far as garage floor goes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

How do they attach to the ski Nick? Also, where can you buy them? Thanks in advance.

You grab the ski loop and lift the ski then slip the wheels with the open end under the ski at the ski leg   there is a hook at the top ( pic doesn't show it ) and hook the ski loop    I know they have them at Royal and Canadian Tire   but these came from our buddy at KW Surplus     Prob need to order from him    they work really good  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Candubrain said:

You don't find they flex and bend too easily?   That is what I've read on a oouple reviews

They are steel    they don't flex   the skis may have a bit of tension since they attach to the loop    I pull them off after use    I have home made wooden dollies on casters then the sled sits on in the garage     I can move the sleds on the dollys 360 degrees real easy then  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Candubrain said:

You don't find they flex and bend too easily?   That is what I've read on a couple reviews

I have 3 sets of these as I am done lifting sleds to put any kind of rollers/wheels under them.  I think that there are several versions and like you said, they are not all created equal.  My "Ski Saver" version which is much better designed and built from heavier stock came from Finland and cost twice as much.  The other 2 sets of the cheap copies I got were "China specials" and had to be tweaked just a bit as I assembled them.  They would have worked, but I did not like the dimensional differences so I used my vise and a hammer to adjust a few things.  The hardware was also China made "crap" and I replaced a few bolts and nuts after trying to use my small impact driver to tighten and stripped them out.  I went back to a set of hand tools and the rest did not fail.

The leverage allows them to be slid under the ski and then by pushing down the ski is raised and the hook end is pushed into the ski handle.  They work well to drive and steer on fairly flat surfaces.  They work fine on my dry lawn and great on hard surfaces.  I do not try to drive into my trailer or up sharp steps over an inch or two.  I have found that the wheel axles should be put in line with the ski pivot when sliding them under.  Too far and the skis run low in the front and not far enough and they want to drag in the back.  If you drive over something too big they can slide along the ski and cause the tipping up or down of it depending if you are backing up or going forward when it catches and slides.  

They are by far the best thing I have found to save my back and they do a great job in most hard terrain.  NOTHING is better for quickly and easily rolling around from garage to trailer or even driving down my road a few hundred meters when it is dry.  Small rocks or bumps don't bother them.  10 MPH Max is stamped on them.  I have 3 sets now, but wish I could still get the original "SKI Saver" brand.  The China copies work, but the points that lift the ski are not as aggressive and tend to slip a bit easier.  Still, they get my vote.  

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

I have 3 sets of these as I am done lifting sleds to put any kind of rollers/wheels under them.  I think that there are several versions and like you said, they are not all created equal.  My "Ski Saver" version which is much better designed and built from heavier stock came from Finland and cost twice as much.  The other 2 sets of the cheap copies I got were "China specials" and had to be tweaked just a bit as I assembled them.  They would have worked, but I did not like the dimensional differences so I used my vise and a hammer to adjust a few things.  The hardware was also China made "crap" and I replaced a few bolts and nuts after trying to use my small impact driver to tighten and stripped them out.  I went back to a set of hand tools and the rest did not fail.

The leverage allows them to be slid under the ski and then by pushing down the ski is raised and the hook end is pushed into the ski handle.  They work well to drive and steer on fairly flat surfaces.  They work fine on my dry lawn and great on hard surfaces.  I do not try to drive into my trailer or up sharp steps over an inch or two.  I have found that the wheel axles should be put in line with the ski pivot when sliding them under.  Too far and the skis run low in the front and not far enough and they want to drag in the back.  If you drive over something too big they can slide along the ski and cause the tipping up or down of it depending if you are backing up or going forward when it catches and slides.  

They are by far the best thing I have found to save my back and they do a great job in most hard terrain.  NOTHING is better for quickly and easily rolling around from garage to trailer or even driving down my road a few hundred meters when it is dry.  Small rocks or bumps don't bother them.  10 MPH Max is stamped on them.  I have 3 sets now, but wish I could still get the original "SKI Saver" brand.  The China copies work, but the points that lift the ski are not as aggressive and tend to slip a bit easier.  Still, they get my vote.  

:icon_that:

saw these ones made in Saskatchewan with air filled wheels.   Expensive, but Cdn made and appear to be good quality, meaning not flimsy 

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1589255292

Just contacted them.  Apparently they won’t work on the TS ski because of the dual keel.   

I use simple dollies for under the skiis and one under the track.

We move them around on concrete all the time.

Lightly lift the skii's up - slide underneath - velcro straps down - lift track, slide under - roll around where ever you want.

Sled on dollies.jpg

44 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

I use simple dollies for under the skiis and one under the track.

We move them around on concrete all the time.

Lightly lift the skii's up - slide underneath - velcro straps down - lift track, slide under - roll around where ever you want.

Sled on dollies.jpg

• The "lightly lift skis up" doesn't work for me anymore.  It's been years since my arm and shoulder had to be fixed and I prefer using the lever action to lift my sleds.  I'm 66 now and feel this will work for me well into my 70's.  Plus it can be driven and reversed using the machine's own power.  I have all the dollies from swivels to steerable.  Sometimes I put the swivels under my track and just push and steer it into a tight spot for storage.  I just don't like lifting the skis by myself anymore even though I still can do it.  This is much faster and easier.  It does cost more though.

61v8eTx-kyL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Click image to open expanded view

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 7:32 PM, volunteer2 said:

I bought these from Royal a couple of years ago and they were garbage, mine were the orange ones, had them replaced and they still bent when under load. Went back to the old style that goes under the skiis with wheels and the one under the track, If I was looking at them again would likely buy the ones made by Caliber, they seem to be higher quality.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nunz said:

I bought these from Royal a couple of years ago and they were garbage, mine were the orange ones, had them replaced and they still bent when under load. Went back to the old style that goes under the skiis with wheels and the one under the track, If I was looking at them again would likely buy the ones made by Caliber, they seem to be higher quality.

I saw these wheels at my buddy's place   they seemed pretty strong     my other buddy had two sets   one from Royal and one from Canadian Tire    I did a quick check on pricing      I paid 1/3 of what the others are     I cant believe the ones I have will bend  but I don't go far with them  and only on the smooth driveway and garage       https://www.royaldistributing.com/maxx-surface-saver-ski-dolly.html

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-snowmobile-drive-on-dollies-0260548p.html?rrec=true#spc

• Like 1

Thankfully, still in good (enough) physical shape to use the old school ones......one under each ski and made up a piece of plywood with wheels for the track.

For the skis you do not really have to lift up so much as pull up on the ski loop so it tilts the ski & slide dolly under each ski, one at a time.

Driveway is still gravel, so no worries with that.....used primarily in the garage for moving around or unloading from the trailer.