Jump to content

The Bristol Motel in Wawa


Ox
 Share

Recommended Posts

Notice that Willie and Bonnie sold The Bristol Motel back last spring sometime.

 

Not that I expect this to be a big deal as it's not like they were closed or anything.

Just an FYI is all.

 

More likely a notice to Yanks more than Canucks.

Not that I expect too many to bother with jumping through hoops to make it over the river this year, but ...

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

there are 3 newly remodeled motel/hotels in wawa now ox, the reopened the Big Birg, it is gorgeous outside. the remodeled the Sportsman (now called the Outdoorsman), across the street from the Bristol. and a few years ago, they opened the hwy17 motel up on 17 near the OPP and fuel station.

 

personally, I never understood the draw to the Bristol. I respected and appreciated Willy, and Bonnie, and the families support of the trails, and clubs but, the hotel set up was not to my liking. 

 

plus one time, when I let someone else make our reservations, we arrived to not enough rooms in the hotel, very late after a harrowing drive up 17 at -40f, in a storm, and slept on the floor, couches, wherever we could. did not set well with me, after they had spoken with Bonnie, on our way up, verifying the room availability. Ski

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, skidooboy said:

there are 3 newly remodeled motel/hotels in wawa now ox, the reopened the Big Birg, it is gorgeous outside. the remodeled the Sportsman (now called the Outdoorsman), across the street from the Bristol. and a few years ago, they opened the hwy17 motel up on 17 near the OPP and fuel station.

 

personally, I never understood the draw to the Bristol. I respected and appreciated Willy, and Bonnie, and the families support of the trails, and clubs but, the hotel set up was not to my liking. 

 

plus one time, when I let someone else make our reservations, we arrived to not enough rooms in the hotel, very late after a harrowing drive up 17 at -40f, in a storm, and slept on the floor, couches, wherever we could. did not set well with me, after they had spoken with Bonnie, on our way up, verifying the room availability. Ski

That happened to me in dub too. Had a room with two double beds. When I Arrived they gave room to two guys that just walked in before us, no reservations. I was in line waiting. Had to sleep on fold out bed. It was decent though and they gave me an extra foam mattress. 
At least I got a room or be a longer ride to wawa that day. Few 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

That happened to me in dub too. Had a room with two double beds. When I Arrived they gave room to two guys that just walked in before us, no reservations. I was in line waiting. Had to sleep on fold out bed. It was decent though and they gave me an extra foam mattress. 
At least I got a room or be a longer ride to wawa that day. Few 👍

that was typical when Khan owned the motel. he would double, triple book, and when the motel filled, he would just tell the people 'SORRY'. that happened to Lynne and I for the OC forum ride. Big Reg, and Luc, had the whole motel set aside for our group. when we arrived, luc and reg wanted to go for a ride over to ernie's before everyone arrived. I sent lynne in to get the room, while i unloaded sleds. she came out, almost in tears saying, they dont have a room for us. reg said, give me a minute, and sped off on his sled. came back with keys to one of the mill's bachelorette rooms. told us no charge to boot. we figured it was Khan's middle eastern heritage that made him treat females so poorly, especially that day, and those circumstances. we never stayed there again, when he owned it, I wouldnt piss on him, if he was on fire, especially after that. again, your results may vary. Ski 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Appreciate the Wawa updates, group, especially since ( as a casual observer ) I sense Halfway Haven is in transition. Correct me if I'm wrong on the latter - Leafs fan, thick skin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yes, there are things "going on" with Halfway haven. not sure to what extent for this season, maybe just for fuel and snacks, no lodging. the problem now is, can Dub connect to Hornepayne, this season, and or in the future. always something in D13. Ski

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

yes, there are things "going on" with Halfway haven. not sure to what extent for this season, maybe just for fuel and snacks, no lodging. the problem now is, can Dub connect to Hornepayne, this season, and or in the future. always something in D13. Ski

Hornepayne club must figure the trail will be open. I read this today:  

 

More exciting news for the 2022 Season and for the D108A, or Walter's Trail, from Hornepayne to Dubreuiville.
Construction of the new bridge over the Beaton River has just been completed and is ready.
With the construction of 2 new bridges in the last 2 years on this section of trail, the OFSC guarantees a safe trail and long term vision for snowmobiling in Northern Ontario.
Happy Trails!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sault Ste Marie to Wawa is a long day. Always enjoyed lodging at Halfway. The flipside is that we didn't stay at Wawa. We kept doing to Dubreuville, from HH. Guess Wawa gets more overnight business this year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Hornepayne club must figure the trail will be open. I read this today:  

 

More exciting news for the 2022 Season and for the D108A, or Walter's Trail, from Hornepayne to Dubreuiville.
Construction of the new bridge over the Beaton River has just been completed and is ready.
With the construction of 2 new bridges in the last 2 years on this section of trail, the OFSC guarantees a safe trail and long term vision for snowmobiling in Northern Ontario.
Happy Trails!

those two bridges have been in planning for a few seasons. with the two clubs being in different districts, it is hard for the two clubs to know the entire goings on with both systems. I have been speaking with both clubs on this issue, to make sure both know the issue, and to keep up with the situation, since I found out about it, in August. when I spoke with Matt in Hornepayne last week, he had no idea there was an issue on Dub's end. his quote was, I hope they get it figured out, otherwise the trail to our south, will be a dead end. 

 

dont get me wrong, I am not being negative here, I am being a realist, and the reality, there are some huge issues to the trail connectors in Dubreuilville. Hornepayne has had the vision for permanent trails, that are hard to disrupt by logging, mining, roads. Dubreuilville, has always counted on the roads, and this is coming back to haunt them, and us.  

 

 

Dubreuilville has asked the ofsc, the mines, businesses and everyone they can think of to get the funds to fix their system but, right now the ofsc does not have the funds to help them. Ski

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2021 at 11:03 AM, skidooboy said:

that was typical when Khan owned the motel. he would double, triple book, and when the motel filled, he would just tell the people 'SORRY'. that happened to Lynne and I for the OC forum ride. Big Reg, and Luc, had the whole motel set aside for our group. when we arrived, luc and reg wanted to go for a ride over to ernie's before everyone arrived. I sent lynne in to get the room, while i unloaded sleds. she came out, almost in tears saying, they dont have a room for us. reg said, give me a minute, and sped off on his sled. came back with keys to one of the mill's bachelorette rooms. told us no charge to boot. we figured it was Khan's middle eastern heritage that made him treat females so poorly, especially that day, and those circumstances. we never stayed there again, when he owned it, I wouldnt piss on him, if he was on fire, especially after that. again, your results may vary. Ski 

That’s what I hate about traveling. Never know if room going to be there or not. Especially in these small remote towns, where miners could take all rooms at last minute, since they are regular customers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Willy was always good to us when we stayed there. Drove us to dinner and breakfast, to the Poo dealer, etc. The rooms set up was good for us with 3 beds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

That’s what I hate about traveling. Never know if room going to be there or not. Especially in these small remote towns, where miners could take all rooms at last minute, since they are regular customers. 

If you make it a point to call and reconfirm your reservation before you leave for your trip there is very little chance you will have an issue. It is also adviseable to carry your room confirmations with you as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I imagine that there are nicer places to stay, but The Smedts family has supported the club more than any other, and the whole trail from Searchmont to Wawa was at the very least signed by Marc and Willy. For many years - the only signs on the 180 miles was "Bristol Motel ->" signs at every turn. I think that there may still be a few standing yet, but not many.

 

Willy had the gas in the bush.

 

The second time that we came up the D trail (first time we ran out of gas doo to blizzard dump and spent 3 days in bush) they sent Marc to meet us out in the bush, and he met us WAY out in the bush! (and intentionally skeered the livin' Schidt out of me) We didn't need the chaperon, but it was a nice gesture.

 

They have made a hole for our crew a cpl of times over the years when they were already full. Stuffed us down in the basement "since we were practically family", but we're just lookin' fer a place to get some shut eye...

 

We have likely stayed at Halfway more over the years, but anytime we are in Wawa, we have been at the Bristol.

I remember when all the kids were still at home, and now there are grandkids all grown up.

 

It is respect for the people, not the facility.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...