Will a 15 to 20% increase in fuel prices impact the sled season?

Sksman

Read in the news natural gas will rise significantly and gas and diesel will also increase dramatically.

I will still ride but will everyone?

I would expect the used sled pricing market is going to soften.

I'm sure it will affect the start of the next resession once everyones pockets are shaken emty and there is no money to buy anything else.

Won’t make a difference to me 

• Like 1

I have so much wrapped up in sleds,permits,insurance and trailers ,probably won’t stop this guy from riding 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sksman said:

Read in the news natural gas will rise significantly and gas and diesel will also increase dramatically.

High carbon taxes won’t last on heating fuels. Government will come up with some sort of rebate system for consumers,

like they did with hydro. Wood is becoming popular again it seems in our area. I might spring for an outdoor dual furnace in future if natural stays high. My heating bill would have to go over 30k before I do that though. 👍

I really wonder how it will impact the younger riders.   The $5 - 10,000 used market riders.    The ones on tighter budgets.  

For some one there is a limit to the cash they can throw at a sport.  

I will not change my riding plans most likely.  A good buddy has a new place in South River area so for me I can leave my trailer there if I want.

4 hours ago, Sksman said:

I really wonder how it will impact the younger riders.   The $5 - 10,000 used market riders.    The ones on tighter budgets.  

I will not change my riding plans most likely.  A good buddy has a new place in South River area so for me I can leave my trailer there if I want.

I was thinking the same or family with multiple sleds to fill. 
Towing is for sure the bigger hit since you’re not really enjoying burning those fossil fuels as much. 

If I get my sled before season starts, I can’t say the cost of fuel will deter me from riding, hasn’t yet. 

It probably wont mean a lot of difference to me but as mentioned above I can see it affecting people who are on more of a budget or new to the sport and just dont realize how expensive this hobby really costs.    

Won't change anything for me, that said, I'm glad I am not hauling a 4 place to Cochrane every weekend :)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Sksman said:

I think you will see

more young people just riding when weather is good. A nice sunny day not really going to stop anyone from using credit card,

young or old to buy fuel to ride. 👍

I'm going to disagree.   Many young people, (not all or the majority) are getting big inheritances and living the life.   They minimize on things they don't need such as big tvs, surround sounds, and computers as their smart phone does all.

Others, will do what we all did when we had young families,  buying a junker, fixing it and running when they can, even if its a short run.

Trailering is the biggest fuel cost, most gas vehicles increase by 10L/100Kms when towing, mine goes from a 9.5 average to 18-19 when towing.

Its almost worth asking around if you can store your trailer/sled somewhere and pay a monthly fee to leave it there rather than towing.  Even works if you use that location to pick up your trailer to go further North, you just saved that towing distance

23 minutes ago, Candubrain said:

I'm going to disagree.   Many young people, (not all or the majority) are getting big inheritances and living the life.   They minimize on things they don't need such as big tvs, surround sounds, and computers as their smart phone does all.

Others, will do what we all did when we had young families,  buying a junker, fixing it and running when they can, even if its a short run.

Trailering is the biggest fuel cost, most gas vehicles increase by 10L/100Kms when towing, mine goes from a 9.5 average to 18-19 when towing.

Its almost worth asking around if you can store your trailer/sled somewhere and pay a monthly fee to leave it there rather than towing.  Even works if you use that location to pick up your trailer to go further North, you just saved that towing distance

We dove into Motocross this summer - the one place we go has a great set-up - they have storage lockers on site - you can rent - put all your tools and bike etc. in there - lock it and go.

Pretty smart for those who live in the city, don't want to trailer, don't have garages etc. 

Sledding is so expensive for the average joe - 100% weather dependent - short seasons - fuel costs added and overall costing increases to every day life - you will see an affect.

• Thanks 1

Won't affect the riding we do or the trailering, too short of a season and other than boating its our fun time of the year for those months. Already starting to think about some upcoming trips, Just need the sleds to arrive before the season starts.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Spiderman said:

We dove into Motocross this summer - the one place we go has a great set-up - they have storage lockers on site - you can rent - put all your tools and bike etc. in there - lock it and go.

Pretty smart for those who live in the city, don't want to trailer, don't have garages etc. 

Sledding is so expensive for the average joe - 100% weather dependent - short seasons - fuel costs added and overall costing increases to every day life - you will see an affect.

Nothing beats launching from your own place, be that quads, bikes, sleds etc.  Trailering to never land won't do it, even if gas was free.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2021 at 9:44 AM, Sksman said:

In a word, NO.  Boats are a much larger consumer of fuel where you can spend thousands a w/e and people always find a way to finance their toys.

11 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

Your in the wrong sport if fuel costs have you worried....

I didn’t say my plans would change but wondered if for others it will?

i am looking forward to a great winter.  I have a large number of customers who are sledders.  And most think a mid week trip is best.  

How can you beat riding for work?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sksman said:

I didn’t say my plans would change but wondered if for others it will?

i am looking forward to a great winter.  I have a large number of customers who are sledders.  And most think a mid week trip is best.  

How can you beat riding for work?

I meant that in a general comment here. For most of us, it is what it is, but I'm sure for some it doesn't help. This sport is costly,  period.  Wait till new sled prices increase even more in the spring.