OFSC AGM

Christy

Did not take it as bashing volunteers. No worries there.

I understand what you are saying. I agree. More $$$ would be great!

I was just highlighting the actual hidden costs to maintain a provincial system and how much extra that would be if everyone was paid. It would be a staggering amount. How much would a trail permit cost then? Would be four figures for sure.

I would also imagine that if everyone was paid then the landowners would also want to be paid. It would just be an ugly black hole to go down, IMO.

It would be helpful if the government would put some of that extra tax revenue that snowmobilers generate back into the OFSC. The tree hugging green energy people may not think that is a good idea tho:)

If the OFSC should ever collapse, I can pretty much guarantee that the money spent on snowmobiling in Ontario will then be spent on vacations outside Ontario/Canada. It would be a large loss of tax revenue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

ofsc has no way to enforce trail passes. That’s why we have a minimum of two days now.

Can you please explain to me your rational on the above. I have been thinking about it over a bud light and I'm stumped. Thank you in advance.

4 hours ago, zoso said:

There is a shortage of funding, as such it would seem to me the expense is too high.

Or the product price is too low

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yamadan700 said:

If volunteers just billed the OFSC for their fuel used in their trucks, atvs, snowmobiles, chainsaws, generators, etc., you would already be paying $400.

Let alone all the donated(free) use of personal tools, trucks, atvs, equipment, supplies, lumber donations, etc..

Going to the AGM, which is a working weekend, with costs covered is a small token of appreciation, IMO, for the hundreds of hours of annual volunteer time the leadership provides.  If they were paid for their hours, as the groomer operators are, your trail pass would likely be many times higher.

UsedtoSkidoo. As you know, volunteers is only way to keep the cost of the trail permits reasonable. We do it because we are passionate about keeping the provincial trail system alive. Maybe we should do like the ski hills do and charge $80 a day for when you want to ride the trails. That may provide enough resources to pay everyone as long as we can maintain the same amount of ridership. Call Doug Ford and Justin Trudeau and ask them for some funding. Good luck!  Just my $.02

Well said.

if an AGM brings new ideas and new blood, I’m all in.

I don’t even think about the expenses I incur while doing anything organized snowmobiling related.

I could elaborate, but it’s thousands of dollars a year, easily.

This from a guy that maybe did 500km on a sled last year. I literally did at least twice that in the groomer, so I guess I got 1500 km in,  on the trails last year lol.

Many others do the same.

Permit prices should be higher, but without l.

enforcement,  it’s the law of diminished returns

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lots of really good questions being asked to the Executive Committee this morning by Club Volunteers. 😊 Join a club and get involved! My club is always looking for volunteers 😉 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Or the product price is too low

I think for what you get, yes, the price is way too low. However, as we have witnessed in the past, there are a large group of people unwilling to pay the true cost of groomed, signed, and insured trails.

24 minutes ago, zoso said:

I think for what you get, yes, the price is way too low. However, as we have witnessed in the past, there are a large group of people unwilling to pay the true cost of groomed, signed, and insured trails.

True, and sad.

We all need to remember, once a trail or trail system is gone, in today's anti powersports, burning carbon for purely pleasure is bad environment, it's probably gone for good.

If the trail system ever collapsed, I'd keep the Skandic.

Most of us would have no use for even a utility sled, let alone a trail one.

4 hours ago, Christy said:

Lots of really good questions being asked to the Executive Committee this morning by Club Volunteers. 😊 Join a club and get involved! My club is always looking for volunteers 😉 

We need bridge builders, as do many clubs.

Most can swing a hammer, run a saw, lay down boards.

That's as easy as pounding in a stake, hanging a sign, even running a groomer.

Grunt work.

We need more of them.

The tougher bridge work is the bridge between land owners, governments, municipalities, counties, those who would push back at organized sledding and "herding the cats" that are the groomer operators.

I self identify as a feral cat.

Anti social, avoid humans.

That type of person is much harder to come by.

Christy can do both FTW!!

• Like 6

20 hours ago, vooodooo said:

We need bridge builders, as do many clubs.

Most can swing a hammer, run a saw, lay down boards.

That's as easy as pounding in a stake, hanging a sign, even running a groomer.

Grunt work.

We need more of them.

The tougher bridge work is the bridge between land owners, governments, municipalities, counties, those who would push back at organized sledding and "herding the cats" that are the groomer operators.

I self identify as a feral cat.

Anti social, avoid humans.

That type of person is much harder to come by.

Christy can do both FTW!!

Haha, I forgot about that video! It sometimes feels like I’m herding cats for sure but we are a good team. Thanks for the Stoney Keppel Riders love! I love our little club and wish for other clubs to gather such a great group.

9EA5C627-F698-42A3-B5C6-888F66532DB1.jpeg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Christy said:

Haha, I forgot about that video! It sometimes feels like I’m herding cats for sure but we are a good team. Thanks for the Stoney Keppel Riders love! I love our little club and wish for other clubs to gather such a great group.

9EA5C627-F698-42A3-B5C6-888F66532DB1.jpeg

Love stopping at that clubhouse!

• Like 2

On 9/16/2021 at 6:59 PM, Nutter said:

Saving money sounds great on paper but there is a lot of provincial disconnection right now, lots of clubs floundering with next to no volunteers and no clear direction of how to do things. Some volunteers adapted well to doing it this way, many haven't. 

Without volunteers and them having a good grasp of how to do things correctly and clubs relying more and more on OFSC staff to direct the direction of the org, along with clubs/districts and the OFSC having to contract out a lot of what used to be day to day operations (which has been grossly accelerating even before Covid). Costs to keep trails open are going to be a lot higher than an in person AGM could ever be IMO.  

Maybe we should not have on line permit sales,  & go back to in class driver training. On line is easier but is hurting clubs when it comes to getting volunteers. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, RotaxMike said:

Maybe we should not have on line permit sales,  & go back to in class driver training. On line is easier but is hurting clubs when it comes to getting volunteers. 

Why does it hurt clubs? I haven’t been around long enough to know how it used to work. The funding model hurts clubs vs them doing permit sales? Just curious, other than seeing some old paperwork I have no idea how it was done pre 2016 when I walked into that man cave of snowmobile dudes 😂 

7 hours ago, Christy said:

Why does it hurt clubs? I haven’t been around long enough to know how it used to work. The funding model hurts clubs vs them doing permit sales? Just curious, other than seeing some old paperwork I have no idea how it was done pre 2016 when I walked into that man cave of snowmobile dudes 😂 

Did I mention I was permit guy for the final few years?

They'd get dropped off here,  then I'd divvy them up between Ron's, Thomboys, Cindy's, Shallow lake, Mumma browns.

Weekly pick up of money, hunting down bad checks, getting crapped on for depositing the cash in my bank and writing a check to GBST when it saved us a % 1 cash fee.

Fudging the Dec 1 date as far as you could, getting crapped on when you couldn't.

Paperwork, and you know my feelings and ability in that department.

Worst part (or best) was that technically you could only put permits in a business within your catchment area.

Sauble and GBE used to put permits at Ron's. GBE wasn't a problem because of GBST, but by rights we could have pushed the issue and had them removed, but that just makes for bad blood.

I don't miss it, and it does make people think about which club the little bit of money goes to.

I was with a Southern club for a while, that rarely got good snow, had limited trails but sold 800 permits....because that's the closest place to pick one up on the way North, or it's super convenient

You know other clubs that got wealthy this way. No open trails for years but swimming in cash and a brand new groomer.

My brother buys one from us, one from Bellwood or Conestoga.

This is for the better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, RotaxMike said:

The online system cuts out a bunch of paperwork.

There is an option to allow the club you chose, to contact you via email for volunteering.

Personally, I think that's better. If someone wants to help, and the club has a process to contact etc.

One needs to want to get involved. Others just buy the permit and complain, not knowing the struggles.

When I moved and went to the local dealer to buy a permit, there were 4 options of club. I asked the dealer which club I should contact to volunteer.

One club's trail was across the road from my place, a different club at the back.

The dealer told me who needed the most help and that sealed the deal.

Guess that was a benefit to no online permits.

• Like 2

My son is getting his licence this year - ( 12 years old ).

I really hope it's done at the clubhouse like I did it, like my daughter got to do it too, it's really part of the experience and that is what I want for him.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

My son is getting his licence this year - ( 12 years old ).

I really hope it's done at the clubhouse like I did it, like my daughter got to do it too, it's really part of the experience and that is what I want for him.

Nothing better than an in person, hands on experience.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, vooodooo said:

The online system cuts out a bunch of paperwork.

There is an option to allow the club you chose, to contact you via email for volunteering.

Personally, I think that's better. If someone wants to help, and the club has a process to contact etc.

One needs to want to get involved. Others just buy the permit and complain, not knowing the struggles.

When I moved and went to the local dealer to buy a permit, there were 4 options of club. I asked the dealer which club I should contact to volunteer.

One club's trail was across the road from my place, a different club at the back.

The dealer told me who needed the most help and that sealed the deal.

Guess that was a benefit to no online permits.

I'm not sure all districts and clubs follow up quite like we do unfortunately. And from my experience and what I've heard from others, it's pretty easy to get turned away, not feel welcomed or just not know a soul there. I'm persistent in case you didn't know, lol. I emailed a few times and then showed up and recognized my gas fireplace service dude so figured I was safe enough to stick around. @Faceman handed over the website and facebook credentials and I was off! Since then I've met the whole crew and consider many of them good friends. 

Don't just complain, be persistent. Most clubs don't have a great set up for reaching out to you IF they even get your name. So don't leave it as checking off that box. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2021 at 8:22 AM, Christy said:

I find talking to someone in person seems to get more volunteers. It also helps our permit selling locations get more customers. Now with the permit sales being online, makes it easier on the clubs. no more running around with permits & selling locations dont have to deal with filling out the paperwork

• Like 2

On 9/19/2021 at 10:39 PM, RotaxMike said:

At first I wasn't sold on even just the thought of online sales, but having been privy in the past to seeing the costs and loses, and seeing and experiencing first hand the volunteer burden, stress and safety that came with live sales it changed my view on it real fast. 

I really don't like the online driver training at all. It takes away the first contact new young sledders have to volunteerism, and it's importance to organized snowmobiling, along with all the other things live courses provided hands on in person.  However I do know if the boat license people were successful in their bid for it we likely would of been totally shut out. Shitty all around. 

1 hour ago, Nutter said:

At first I wasn't sold on even just the thought of online sales, but having been privy in the past to seeing the costs and loses, and seeing and experiencing first hand the volunteer burden, stress and safety that came with live sales it changed my view on it real fast. 

I really don't like the online driver training at all. It takes away the first contact new young sledders have to volunteerism, and it's importance to organized snowmobiling, along with all the other things live courses provided hands on in person.  However I do know if the boat license people were successful in their bid for it we likely would of been totally shut out. Shitty all around. 

I think any online driver training & no time behind the wheel of a boat, sled, groomer or any motorized vehicle is a good thing. When the boating Lic came out they ask me to sign up & they would do it for me. Man I feel safe with that. At least in class training can answer any questions & teacher can go into more details. With grooming I dont think any clubs would put somebody in a groomer after doing the online coarse on there own 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, RotaxMike said:

I think any online driver training & no time behind the wheel of a boat, sled, groomer or any motorized vehicle is a good thing. When the boating Lic came out they ask me to sign up & they would do it for me. Man I feel safe with that. At least in class training can answer any questions & teacher can go into more details. With grooming I dont think any clubs would put somebody in a groomer after doing the online coarse on there own 

Agreed 100%

It's shitty that the boat license "authority" folks saw the chance to make a buck and sold our government on a pitch that it should also be on line. Forced hand we certainly didn't want. 

IMO the only good that has come with the on line driver training is that it served many kids and parents well last season with the Covid issues we've been facing, and for kids that live out of reasonable reach of a course. There would have been over 2500 kids last season that would of been SOL otherwise. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nutter said:

Agreed 100%

It's shitty that the boat license "authority" folks saw the chance to make a buck and sold our government on a pitch that it should also be on line. Forced hand we certainly didn't want. 

IMO the only good that has come with the on line driver training is that it served many kids and parents well last season with the Covid issues we've been facing, and for kids that live out of reasonable reach of a course. There would have been over 2500 kids last season that would of been SOL otherwise. 

I actually like online idea. Most clubs were short on volunteers to run classes anyways and with covid it would have been impossible like you said. I don’t see any out of control 12 to 16 year olds out on trails. I am hoping my nephew will be interested in taking the course too. Get his mind off fact his parents wouldn’t let him play hockey. Mostly because of time constraints it takes to do that sport today.