OFSC AGM

Christy

Is anyone else going to log in to the AGM this weekend? I'll send you a virtual hello 👋 

If you are in a club and interested I think today might be the last day to register. 

I will be there!!

1 minute ago, Nunz said:

I will be there!!

That is where we first met!!! I miss the real life AGM. It was like a reward for the years volunteer hours and so great to chat in person with other club members. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Christy said:

That is where we first met!!! I miss the real life AGM. It was like a reward for the years volunteer hours and so great to chat in person with other club members. 

Sure was, Hopefully we get to a point we can start having the convention again. It was a great weekend 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Yukon said:

See you there!

Deerhurst next year hopefully! 

Oh god, I hope so!!!

40 minutes ago, Christy said:

Oh god, I hope so!!!

Looks like you guys got some nasty weather in the last hour or 2. Hope everything was Ok.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Looks like you guys got some nasty weather in the last hour or 2. Hope everything was Ok.

Thanks, all good here for now!

I’m not sure why but most systems seem to go just south of our place. Maybe it’s our placement between Lake Huron and Georgian Bay. Knock on wood we haven’t been bad so far. Sounds like another tornado touched down about an hour south of us. After similar weather last week Tornado Tuesday seems to be trending. 

20109053-6C27-482F-97F8-D0761C030FFF.png

I have a huge dislike for AGM's  As VP for our club, i said I would never go to one.

Whereas and therefore's drive me nuts.

Give me a bridge to fix, wings to cook, stakes to put in, and wood to split to keep a shack warm, and I will be there.  AGM's, and I will pass.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dave K said:

I have a huge dislike for AGM's  As VP for our club, i said I would never go to one.

Give me a bridge to fix, wings to cook, stakes to put in, and wood to split to keep a shack warm, and I will be there.  AGM's, and I will pass.

A past president of our club always said that the big decisions were made before the AGM so there was little sense in spending the money to attend.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Once ofsc sees virtual cost savings, I doubt it will go back to way it was before. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think for many it is also about getting together as a whole org for some socializing and share what each do, that works or does not work, etc....

I get that some may find this an unproductive way to spend some money too - but for some this is getting a little back for all the volunteering, and is that such a bad thing.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, stoney said:

I think for many it is also about getting together as a whole org for some socializing and share what each do, that works or does not work, etc....

I get that some may find this an unproductive way to spend some money too - but for some this is getting a little back for all the volunteering, and is that such a bad thing.

IMO that is always just as important as making sure your club carried the votes voice of it's membership. Over the past 18 years I've seen many new volunteer club exec leave AGM weekend with the knowledge and go to friendships from other clubs to give them a good running start at running a club. Most are still well involved. 🍻

Seems like yesterday Yukon, TVBrian and myself were doing AGM seminars/workshops on how to set your club up with a Webpage, then a few years later Social media lol 🍻

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Nutter said:

IMO that is always just as important as making sure your club carried the votes voice of it's membership. Over the past 18 years I've seen many new volunteer club exec leave AGM weekend with the knowledge and go to friendships from other clubs to give them a good running start at running a club. Most are still well involved. 🍻

Seems like yesterday Yukon, TVBrian and myself were doing AGM seminars/workshops on how to set your club up with a Webpage, then a few years later Social media lol 🍻

100% 

I did do my part and vote of course and I did learn a lot from the break out sessions too. But by far the best part is brainstorming with other Club Members.

It isn't for everyone, but clubs do need the volunteers that just want to stake and build bridges as well as the people that are good at organizing the behind the scenes crap. Although I also stake and help build bridges I'm definitely the behind the scenes person. Today has already gotten away from me because I've had phone calls with 2 landowners, 2 neighbouring Club Execs, our main groomer operator aka @vooodooo and emails to the locksmith and all Club Volunteers. But now plans are forming to get some gates installed and meet on the site of a bridge project this weekend. It's all coming together...next year will be easier, right? 🤪 AGM was my networking with other behind the scenes organizers and I definitely miss that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It is great that they now have no more excuses for spending massive amounts of money on the AGM. It was argued you could not do it remotely. Once again I have been proven correct. Never again should permit money be spent on expensive hotel rooms, meals, flights, travel mileage, and conference rooms. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zoso said:

It is great that they now have no more excuses for spending massive amounts of money on the AGM. It was argued you could not do it remotely. Once again I have been proven correct. Never again should permit money be spent on expensive hotel rooms, meals, flights, travel mileage, and conference rooms. 

Saving money sounds great on paper but there is a lot of provincial disconnection right now, lots of clubs floundering with next to no volunteers and no clear direction of how to do things. Some volunteers adapted well to doing it this way, many haven't. 

Without volunteers and them having a good grasp of how to do things correctly and clubs relying more and more on OFSC staff to direct the direction of the org, along with clubs/districts and the OFSC having to contract out a lot of what used to be day to day operations (which has been grossly accelerating even before Covid). Costs to keep trails open are going to be a lot higher than an in person AGM could ever be IMO.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, zoso said:

That is a staw man argument.  Sending two people to a meeting is not the answer to the issue you have described. Increasing volunteers is never done at agm. 

Maintaining volunteers at a leadership level is paramount to the OFSC being successful. Gaining knowledge and wisdom from others at that level and throwing a few bucks at them is worth the cost in my opinion. The amount of $$$ that all volunteers donate to the club cause is large, ie gas, equipment, supplies, atvs, etc..  And no, I am not at the leadership level so conflict of interest can be ruled out.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, yamadan700 said:

Maintaining volunteers at a leadership level is paramount to the OFSC being successful. Gaining knowledge and wisdom from others at that level and throwing a few bucks at them is worth the cost in my opinion. The amount of $$$ that all volunteers donate to the club cause is large, ie gas, equipment, supplies, atvs, etc..  And no, I am not at the leadership level so conflict of interest can be ruled out.

There is a shortage of funding, as such it would seem to me the expense is too high.

If volunteers just billed the OFSC for their fuel used in their trucks, atvs, snowmobiles, chainsaws, generators, etc., you would already be paying $400.

Let alone all the donated(free) use of personal tools, trucks, atvs, equipment, supplies, lumber donations, etc..

Going to the AGM, which is a working weekend, with costs covered is a small token of appreciation, IMO, for the hundreds of hours of annual volunteer time the leadership provides.  If they were paid for their hours, as the groomer operators are, your trail pass would likely be many times higher.

UsedtoSkidoo. As you know, volunteers is only way to keep the cost of the trail permits reasonable. We do it because we are passionate about keeping the provincial trail system alive. Maybe we should do like the ski hills do and charge $80 a day for when you want to ride the trails. That may provide enough resources to pay everyone as long as we can maintain the same amount of ridership. Call Doug Ford and Justin Trudeau and ask them for some funding. Good luck!  Just my $.02

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, yamadan700 said:

If volunteers just billed the OFSC for their fuel used in their trucks, atvs, snowmobiles, chainsaws, generators, etc., you would already be paying $400.

Let alone all the donated(free) use of personal tools, trucks, atvs, equipment, supplies, lumber donations, etc..

Going to the AGM, which is a working weekend, with costs covered is a small token of appreciation, IMO, for the hundreds of hours of annual volunteer time the leadership provides.  If they were paid for their hours, as the groomer operators are, your trail pass would likely be many times higher.

UsedtoSkidoo. As you know, volunteers is only way to keep the cost of the trail permits reasonable. We do it because we are passionate about keeping the provincial trail system alive. Maybe we should do like the ski hills do and charge $80 a day for when you want to ride the trails. That may provide enough resources to pay everyone as long as we can maintain the same amount of ridership. Call Doug Ford and Justin Trudeau and ask them for some funding. Good luck!  Just my $.02

Doggie Ford is a snowmobiler. Be interesting to know if he buys a permit or not, since he just bums around the cottage on it apparently. 
ofsc has no way to enforce trail passes. That’s why we have a minimum of two days now. This could lead to more free loading in future if something doesn’t change, on enforcement side. 

1 hour ago, yamadan700 said:

Im certainly not bashing Volunteers at all. But they arent the answer

My point is that we expect a world class system on a community budget and thats wrong.

• Like 1