Gears Canada Heated Seat

Spanky

Hi Gang, I noticed this heated pad that fits between the foam and seat cover, much cheaper than the heated seat option on my '22 Renegade X.  I've had a heated seat on my last two sleds, and loved it.

Under-Seat Heater for Motorcycle, Snowmobile, & ATV • GEARS (gearscanada.com)

Anyone have any experience installing and/or using this?

I was thinking the same cheap .but not in  $  It looks like another fire hazard from China . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coldfinger said:

I was thinking the same cheap .but not in  $  It looks like another fire hazard from China . 

3 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

iirc correctly, I read a story over on Dootalk.com about something similar,  and they had a issue with the element getting too hot,  and melting the material on the seat. Maybe this was caused from a improper install or wiring?. Neat idea though...

Prob posted by my buddy     princess auto purchase     and all wiring done correctly   element malfunctioned and holes got burned thru the seat cover     went and bought the Doo seat then  

44 minutes ago, signfan said:

Lovely.  Scrap that idea then.

Get proper dry cold wear to layer. I got really thin stuff to layer with. Really blocks wind and holds heat well. I find I hardly ever use heated seat because I sweat then get cold when sled is off. Each to thier own I guess. Proper clothing is answer instead of all this electronic crap. 
here is link 

https://www.brubeck.com/search?q=Thermo

I buy lots of cold gear from them. Very good quality and warm. Love pants and long shirts that go under your clothing. Almost like under wear but warm and stretchy designed to hold on body heat. 

You will be surprised what a heated seat does, layers help but there’s no substitute to heat. I was also a non believe till my sled came with one and I’m pretty sure it’s no different than the gears one which are both made in China lol but it works awesome especially in northern Ontario on those crisp -20 -30 mornings. 

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 7:04 PM, signfan said:

Wow that looks like a cheap solutionto get a heated seat.  My wife would love this.  Are the doo seat covers bonded to the foam?  Or will they come off to allow the element to go under the cover?  

That's what I'm wondering as well...

I did my own heated seat on a recommendations by sledjunk (rip) and love it.

Bought the element off Amazon and installed it myself, easy peasy.

On 9/10/2021 at 8:52 PM, zoso said:

Every single heated seat element in every single vehicle is made in China.

X2 on that one. Difference is some oem manufacturers have great quality control practises in place. 
even my new enphase inverters are made in China now too. I was shocked they aren’t making them in California anymore. Now it is just big warehouse used to sort warranty returns and distribute product out of. Original ones in 2011 were made in Canada along with the panels in Woodbridge. Both are long gone too. 

Remember all those jobs in solar we were going to have from the Windbag government.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 9:05 AM, WinderFab said:

You will be surprised what a heated seat does, layers help but there’s no substitute to heat. I was also a non believe till my sled came with one and I’m pretty sure it’s no different than the gears one which are both made in China lol but it works awesome especially in northern Ontario on those crisp -20 -30 mornings. 

I am just reading this thread and thinking to myself how much value would the heated seat offer.......but I guess you do not know until you try and then you might wonder how you managed without it!

As for made in China - even there there is better made options vs. the products that are borderline acceptable.

40 minutes ago, stoney said:

I am just reading this thread and thinking to myself how much value would the heated seat offer.......but I guess you do not know until you try and then you might wonder how you managed without it!

As for made in China - even there there is better made options vs. the products that are borderline acceptable.

our new to us 900 GSX has a heated seat. Wife and Daughter both did a little happy dance when they found that out. I may or may not ride it when its -32 over mine.............maybe.

• Like 1

I had a heated seat 3 years ago on a viper. I made the switch to Doo and I kinda miss it. Only appreciated on a couple of rides per winter but it was nice. Have a new Enduro on the way and am looking forward to having a warm tush once again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stoney said:

Most days not needed. Nice on frosty mornings when first starting out. True on the China some stuff is fine. I hate seeing people driving those Buick envisions, assembled in China with all Chinese parts. Shipped in a container....

• 2 weeks later...

I and my buddy ride  with the Gears heated jacket and thin glove liners, for many years now. On the jacket, one warmth element is on the back of the neck which is great for the helmet stiffness. It cuts down on our layers, and the glove liners eliminate heat packs. The glove liners are a balancing act, and are most often damp by lunch time.

When I upgraded the seat foam on the Vector, I considered installing the heat pad, but the new foam had a saran wrap type material between the foam and seat cover, which was too high risk for melting in my view.

To run the Gears jacket, you need the controller to regulate the temps, and the connect cables, all in you are about $200. You also need to wire direct to the battery, as at Max the gloves and jacket draw about 7 amps.