Permit Prices

signfan

On 8/3/2021 at 9:45 PM, Strong Farmer said:

Ofsc had insurance for whole system. I wonder how much that costed, us last winter? I also wonder what percentage of sales are district 10 and 11? 

Better question is how many ride 10 and 11 ? The answer is huge 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Wildbill said:

Better question is how many ride 10 and 11 ? The answer is huge 

Your right but last year thankfully south had snow. I think plc said our area totalled 9 or 10 weeks of open trails. The longest in about 10 years. Otherwise there would have been allot more complaining with no snow in the south. 
That will help with this seasons sales no doubt. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Christy said:

If you’re a volunteer you can register for the AGM, I bet that info is there. I know our district told members our numbers at the District AGM. Or ask the person your club is sending...all online this year again unfortunately.

I agree not all permit holders need to know everything,  just be nice to know some very simple numbers for the sport.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Turbo Doo said:

I agree not all permit holders need to know everything,  just be nice to know some very simple numbers for the sport.  

Absolutely no reason basic numbers can’t be shared publicly, even on the website. 
Double edge sword I’m sure, but it really puts everything into perspective year to year for all that partake in the sport that will see positive and negative feedback. 

2 minutes ago, stoney said:

Absolutely no reason basic numbers can’t be shared publicly, even on the website. 
Double edge sword I’m sure, but it really puts everything into perspective year to year for all that partake in the sport that will see positive and negative feedback. 

X2....

On 8/1/2021 at 12:36 AM, signfan said:

Any word yet on what Ontario and Quebec season passes will be worth this coming season?

What they are worth and what they will cost are 2 different conversations .

2 minutes ago, coldfinger said:

• Like 2

There was a precipitous drop in permit sales after a certain price point.  We are the 'converted'. I bought 4 permits and ran 4 sleds at whatever price. For some reason, Ontario sledders balk at the $200 price point.

I don't understand why the Ontario gov't doesn't pony up more funding. Our local BIA just received a $25,000 grant for storefront window dressings. These types of grants are ubiquitous. That leads me to believe that maybe the funding model should be 'each club' asking for $ - would that be more palatable than a $ million cheque for Ontario snowmobiling?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Canuck said:

There was a precipitous drop in permit sales after a certain price point.  We are the 'converted'. I bought 4 permits and ran 4 sleds at whatever price. For some reason, Ontario sledders balk at the $200 price point.

I don't understand why the Ontario gov't doesn't pony up more funding. Our local BIA just received a $25,000 grant for storefront window dressings. These types of grants are ubiquitous. That leads me to believe that maybe the funding model should be 'each club' asking for $ - would that be more palatable than a $ million cheque for Ontario snowmobiling?

I agree with your comment regarding the $200.00 permits but when you read the posts on increases in trailer prices and other sledding essentials, not to mention fuel prices what is the OFSC to do? If we get another winter like this past one, just the increase in the provincial groomer fuel $ would be hard to endure. The reality is that the OFSC cannot sustain the expected level of service without increases in permit prices. Grants are welcomed but they can't be considered as continuous long term answers to the problem I don't think.

• Like 5

Here’s a thought , Figure out what it costs to run the mother ship for the season and divide it by expected number of permit sales and there is the price of the permit. 

• Like 2

For the majority of the riders, who can ride Quebec and the NCDN,  balking at a $200 permit, is ludicrous,  compared to the costs associated with riding those areas all the time.  Give me a break, we need to start paying a bit more, as long as that revenue goes to helping and making the system better, increase the price.  It's been at the same price for a few seasons now, and at the end of the day, what's a few more bucks.  I understand riders, especially in Southern Ontario,  who cannot either afford, via time or money, to get away and ride,  look at the permit price,  and look at the souths weather some seasons and say wtf, but the sport is what it is. Like it or not, it's a traveling sport.  Period. There are most likely some riders out there,  if given some info from the OFSC, about breakdown of costs to run the ship, and shown in a productive way, what it takes and costs to run and maintain a season, would gladly pay a increase.  In today's world, if you think prices can stay at a level like they did before, you need to wake up. As I stated before,  maybe a newsletter,  explaining the costs associated,  with a shown number of permit sales, various sales per region etc,  would help some with a permit price increase.  It's very basic numbers to show the permit buying group,  in hopes the info will help them understand the need for a permit increase.  Imo, that pretty basic info, needs to be shown to all permit buyers, and the saying of some to volunteer if you want that info is not right either.  A simple newsletter showing permit price,  permit sales for Ontario, either a total number sold,  or numbers sold per region,  a few basic costs,  and roughly where your permit dollars are distributed to thru the various costs, and explain the rising costs,  like fuel, insurance etc, I think,  would help the broader permit buying group to understand the need for a increase.  Some may not like it, but it is, what it is. Sooner or later it needs to go up in price.  Record number of sled sales again this year, with new sled prices being increased more then a few bucks.  So wtf....

Good discussion going here on OC. 

• Like 4

Just looked at Blue mountain. 

2020 it was $63 for a Day pass.

So if you bought an early OFSC pass, that's just about 3 days of skiing.

Prices aside, I believe lobbying the province for funding is necessary.

They know how it helps restaurants and tourism. Both have been hit hard.

Lobbying for some actual enforcement is beyond needed.

I wish I could keep track of the unpermitted sleds I see on the trails, I believe it to be roughly %20.

Imagine %20 more grooming, or %20 fewer sleds.

Cops don't have the time, nor is it worth it.

Bring back STOP.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vooodooo said:

Just looked at Blue mountain. 

2020 it was $63 for a Day pass.

So if you bought an early OFSC pass, that's just about 3 days of skiing.

Prices aside, I believe lobbying the province for funding is necessary.

They know how it helps restaurants and tourism. Both have been hit hard.

Lobbying for some actual enforcement is beyond needed.

I wish I could keep track of the unpermitted sleds I see on the trails, I believe it to be roughly %20.

Imagine %20 more grooming, or %20 fewer sleds.

Cops don't have the time, nor is it worth it.

Bring back STOP.

I don’t think it’s that high with un permitted riders using the trails. Most have permits even if you don’t see them on windshield. Ordered mine early feb came second week of March so rode with receipt in glove box the whole time. Everyone probabily thought that azzhat has no permit too. 😂

10 hours ago, Nunz said:

Here’s a thought , Figure out what it costs to run the mother ship for the season and divide it by expected number of permit sales and there is the price of the permit. 

Jake had a theory that he presented at the North Bay convention to a huge round of laughter and applause. He said that the permit should be 320 dollars.

His reasoning was that the night before he had gone out for dinner and drinks maybe table dances etc at Fannys and spent 320 dollars so if he could spend that in one evening then a permit for a whole season of snowmobiling at that price is a bargain!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

Jake had a theory that he presented at the North Bay convention to a huge round of laughter and applause. He said that the permit should be 320 dollars.

His reasoning was that the night before he had gone out for dinner and drinks maybe table dances etc at Fannys and spent 320 dollars so if he could spend that in one evening then a permit for a whole season of snowmobiling at that price is a bargain!  

I don’t think it is purchase price but timing of permit purchase. Spread payment into a pre approved monthly debit from your bank account and 200 issue is gone. Riders will gladly make 5 payments of 50 each. Once setup can just send an automatic renewal notice. Only buyers setup for debit withdrawal will get early season rate. Time to move ahead with the times and offer a monthly payment system. Start in September and last withdrawal is Feb or March. No credit cards pre approved bank withdrawals only, just like insurance industry does. Even Rogers wants me to do that now 😳

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strong Farmer said:

I don’t think it is purchase price but timing of permit purchase. Spread payment into a pre approved monthly debit from your bank account and 200 issue is gone. Riders will gladly make 5 payments of 50 each. Once setup can just send an automatic renewal notice. Only buyers setup for debit withdrawal will get early season rate. Time to move ahead with the times and offer a monthly payment system. Start in September and last withdrawal is Feb or March. 

or add a lap dancer 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

or add a lap dancer 

You will have empty pockets real fast when you realize your wallet is gone and can’t fill your sled up in the morning. They ain’t all honest there you know. Don’t ask me how I know either. Nothing like lending your buddy 500 dollars to finish trip 😂
I think monthly payment system is something that should be mentioned and put into place. I be first one to sign up. Cheers! 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

I don’t think it’s that high with un permitted riders using the trails. Most have permits even if you don’t see them on windshield. Ordered mine early feb came second week of March so rode with receipt in glove box the whole time. Everyone probabily thought that azzhat has no permit too. 😂

Agreed that there were many riders with printed permits not displayed on their sleds making it impossible to get a true picture of how many did not have permits. With little to no enforcement in most of southern Ontario at least, the OFSC grooming costs will continue to increase partially due to the volume of free riders.

10 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Start in September and last withdrawal is Feb or March. No credit cards pre approved bank withdrawals only, just like insurance industry does. Even Rogers wants me to do that now 😳

If you and like minded people woulldn't buy a permit last year until you were sure there was snow, how many would go for startiing to pay for a permit in September?

• Like 1