QC Trails South of Val-d Or -- Closed - Perm or just last Season?

Gadgetman

Planning next years week trip, and looks like it has moved from New Brunswick to QC. Looking for a 2nd day trip out of the Forestal hotel, but the FCMQ trail map says these trails are closed. Anyone know if that was simply logging last season or something like that, or if the trails in red are closed permanently? The next day is to Matagami. Thanks.

FCMQ Closed..JPG

1 hour ago, Gadgetman said:

Planning next years week trip, and looks like it has moved from New Brunswick to QC. Looking for a 2nd day trip out of the Forestal hotel, but the FCMQ trail map says these trails are closed. Anyone know if that was simply logging last season or something like that, or if the trails in red are closed permanently? The next day is to Matagami. Thanks.

FCMQ Closed..JPG

I had read number of times that it was due to logging and a concern for safety where the trails used the many logging roads.  Not sure if you were thinking of La Verendrye for a lunch stop but I believe it was closed last season and there was some discussion as to whether it would reopen.

1 hour ago, Gadgetman said:

FCMQ Closed..JPG

Where are you guys starting from? Is this a must section to ride?.  It could very well be just the map?.

Just now, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I had read number of times that it was due to logging and a concern for safety where the trails used the many logging roads.  Not sure if you were thinking of La Verendrye for a lunch stop but I believe it was closed last season and there was some discussion as to whether it would 

X2..

13 minutes ago, Turbo Doo said:

Where are you guys starting from? Is this a must section to ride?.  It could very well be just the map?.

New Liskard. I'll post the plan tomorrow. This was a consideration for a 2nd day trip before heading to Matagami. instead I'll look at a day trip out of Rouyan Noranda instead., where we head to after Matagami. 

It's temporary, but will depend on next years logging plan.  They had no choice but to close this year with something like 150km of plowed road that is usually the trail.  I'm really hoping the logging is done next season.  Probably won't hear anything official on it till the fall.  Pavillon La Vérendry is up for sale as well. Not likely to cause an issue, but who knows.

Edited by signfan
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

New Liskard. I'll post the plan tomorrow. This was a consideration for a 2nd day trip before heading to Matagami. instead I'll look at a day trip out of Rouyan Noranda instead., where we head to after Matagami. 

We've ran New Liskeard,  then Val Dor, then Mattagami,  Rouyn,  back to Liskeard. 

58 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I had read number of times that it was due to logging and a concern for safety where the trails used the many logging roads.  Not sure if you were thinking of La Verendrye for a lunch stop but I believe it was closed last season and there was some discussion as to whether it would reopen.

The lodge for overnight stays was only open Saturday nights.  They were open for food and fuel 7 days a week still.  I believe they were housing loggers through the week.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'll reach out to the FCMQ to hear if they have information on the plan for the trails south of Val d Or for 2022 season (it would be a dead-head out of the Forestal and back to the Forestal). Alternatively, I can plan a day loop out of the Quality Inn at Rouyn-N on the 93 and 83, which covers some of our previous day ride, but in reverse. (If someone complains, then the trip ends on Friday instead of Saturday.) Attached, is my draft, I'll get the hotel list together, then send it out to the group for comment, then we book hotels; then wait for snow.

Draft 2022 Trip.JPG

5 minutes ago, Gadgetman said:

I'll reach out to the FCMQ to hear if they have information on the plan for the trails south of Val d Or for 2022 season (it would be a dead-head out of the Forestal and back to the Forestal). Alternatively, I can plan a day loop out of the Quality Inn at Rouyn-N on the 93 and 83, which covers some of our previous day ride, but in reverse. (If someone complains, then the trip ends on Friday instead of Saturday.) Attached, is my draft, I'll get the hotel list together, then send it out to the group for comment, then we book hotels; then wait for snow.

Draft 2022 Trip.JPG

Been a few years since we've been to Lac Faillon. Looks like a great tour..

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2021 at 10:07 PM, signfan said:

It's temporary, but will depend on next years logging plan.  They had no choice but to close this year with something like 150km of plowed road that is usually the trail.  I'm really hoping the logging is done next season.  Probably won't hear anything official on it till the fall.  Pavillon La Vérendry is up for sale as well. Not likely to cause an issue, but who knows.

With the price of lumber and the amount of logging going on right now, I'd place bets on it gets worse not better for sledding and logging.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, vooodooo said:

With the price of lumber and the amount of logging going on right now, I'd place bets on it gets worse not better for sledding and logging.

I reached out to the FCMQ, who directed me to a club contact, who has not responded as yet. I've now planned a 2nd night at the Quality Inn at Rouyan N instead, with a day loop in the opposite direction, should we chose. I now also like to factor in weather delay days, since the Gaspse storm caused us to abort 50% of the trip. 

Draft 2022 Trip.JPG

Edited by Gadgetman

On 6/16/2021 at 1:03 PM, vooodooo said:

Maybe someone with more background on this will correct me, but I believe there is a pretty heavy emphasis on managing the forests / lumber in this day and age, surveying areas intended to be logged, paperwork submitted, red tape added, etc, etc.....

In saying this, I would think that what was in motion months or possibly years ago, will continue and to in order to increase production based on what has transpired in the last 12 months, requires a process to be followed before it can be implemented......so in the coming years I am sure it will get worse, this year might be too soon for that though given the process.

The next point to wonder, the amount logged cannot exceed the new growth cycle......like in the past it did but I understand that has been corrected to a certain degree, but of course money & politics seems to prevail......

On 6/17/2021 at 9:03 AM, Gadgetman said:

I reached out to the FCMQ, who directed me to a club contact, who has not responded as yet. I've now planned a 2nd night at the Quality Inn at Rouyan N instead, with a day loop in the opposite direction, should we chose. I now also like to factor in weather delay days, since the Gaspse storm caused us to abort 50% of the trip. 

Draft 2022 Trip.JPG

If you haven't ridden it, trail 93 and other local trails north of LaSarre are worth the ride. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 12:35 PM, stoney said:

Maybe someone with more background on this will correct me, but I believe there is a pretty heavy emphasis on managing the forests / lumber in this day and age, surveying areas intended to be logged, paperwork submitted, red tape added, etc, etc.....

In saying this, I would think that what was in motion months or possibly years ago, will continue and to in order to increase production based on what has transpired in the last 12 months, requires a process to be followed before it can be implemented......so in the coming years I am sure it will get worse, this year might be too soon for that though given the process.

The next point to wonder, the amount logged cannot exceed the new growth cycle......like in the past it did but I understand that has been corrected to a certain degree, but of course money & politics seems to prevail......

All I know is I had an issue with some plywood last year and supplier said they use way younger trees and more layers then in past. Probabily only last 10 years instead of 25 years we use to get. 😂

On 6/30/2021 at 10:42 PM, Strong Farmer said:

All I know is I had an issue with some plywood last year and supplier said they use way younger trees and more layers then in past. Probabily only last 10 years instead of 25 years we use to get. 😂

It’s all about profits.  

If larger trees are more valuable for stick lumber then smaller trees go to plywood.

If wood construction of larger buildings increases over concrete and steel expect the lumber industry to react accordingly.