Parry Island (Parry Sound) - Snowmobilers / Cottagers

stoney

8 hours ago, Spiderman said:

My risk factor is as close to 0 as possible.

I personally would not ever invest that kind of $$ into something on leased land - but that's just me. 

I wouldn't lease a car and put 10k worth of upgrades onto it either - only to turn in it 4 years later.

What, do you work in the insurance field or something.....:coffeenose:.... lol

8 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Lots of positive and great experiences like you said. Just depends how much risk you are willing to take. One thing if it is a camp and not worth allot. Another thing if it is a nice place and you invested your life savings and time in fixing it up over the years, to have lease not renewed. That would just be heart breaking and stressful. I couldn’t sleep at night, so I avoid it. 

I really don’t think most invest their life savings into a cottage, at least I sure wouldn’t..... I think most who have one just happen to have some extra money each month that makes cottage ownership possibly or realistic. 

6 hours ago, Poo Man said:

Only way I'd do it is if they allowed park models. That way you could easily remove it and retain some value if you sold it, as well as less initial investment 

Most municipalities will not allow a trailer parked for more than a certain period of time. 

On 5/31/2021 at 11:54 AM, stoney said:

Is there anyone on here that either has a cottage or family member that does have one on or near Parry Island?

I am wondering if there is access in the winter by sled to the island, what is it like, any local trails, etc....

I do not think there are OFSC trails or maybe even local trails that goes to the island, but maybe I am wrong.

I do see an ATV trail that seems to stop at the swing bridge though.

Also wondering what Georgian Bay is like in the winter, in and around these parts.

Friend took me out last year riding over the island, we got to the island from south of the swing bridge.   The conditions were not the greatest when we did it, as it was glare ice, but it did look rather safe other than the 5 or so bubblers that we had to skip.   I'm sure we could have went around them, but as a follower i followed...lol    I don't know what the safe time frame is for sledding across.   Closer to the upcoming season, i could send you some gps tracks that we took.  We ended up getting off at Glenn Burney marina and hopping on the fitness trail and heading north.

2 hours ago, snowman said:

Friend took me out last year riding over the island, we got to the island from south of the swing bridge.   The conditions were not the greatest when we did it, as it was glare ice, but it did look rather safe other than the 5 or so bubblers that we had to skip.   I'm sure we could have went around them, but as a follower i followed...lol    I don't know what the safe time frame is for sledding across.   Closer to the upcoming season, i could send you some gps tracks that we took.  We ended up getting off at Glenn Burney marina and hopping on the fitness trail and heading north.

Nice do you have a studded track and scratchers? Sounds like we could do some sort of oce tourer in area. We could use some new followers leaders cheers.  

Edited by Strong Farmer

6 hours ago, snowman said:

Thank you, that would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 11:50 AM, Strong Farmer said:

Read too many horror stories about leases going up, not being renewed and building then has to be dismantled and taken away. If lease isn’t good for life of building, then I would walk away. 
This happened up in Bruce where they refused to re new lease after like 60 years. So it could happen any where really, if there is a conflict with government and they want to prove a point. 
Also some leased land has access limitations such as no use from thanksgiving to may 1 for example. 
Reminds of all crazy rules at a condo complex, just worse since you don’t own land building sits on. 
lots to consider. 

Many years ago, I dated a girl who had a property in Sauble Beach and I noticed all the properties at the time leasing land had for sale sighs on them.  

Never will I ever be held hostage to that nonsense.

9 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Many years ago, I dated a girl who had a property in Sauble Beach and I noticed all the properties at the time leasing land had for sale sighs on them.  

Never will I ever be held hostage to that nonsense.

We had a cottage at Conestoga Lake and sold after 2 years and bought one in the Long Point area (Port Rowan). The BS from the GRCA was too much to take. I'll never own anything on leased land ever again. Besides my boathouse which is I have a water lease (never any problems).

On 6/5/2021 at 10:04 AM, Strong Farmer said:

Nice do you have a studded track and scratchers? Sounds like we could do some sort of oce tourer in area. We could use some new followers leaders cheers.  

Yes to the studded track and scrachers, I would not want to do it without.. when we did it, was not a stitch of snow