Parry Island (Parry Sound) - Snowmobilers / Cottagers

stoney

Is there anyone on here that either has a cottage or family member that does have one on or near Parry Island?

I am wondering if there is access in the winter by sled to the island, what is it like, any local trails, etc....

I do not think there are OFSC trails or maybe even local trails that goes to the island, but maybe I am wrong.

I do see an ATV trail that seems to stop at the swing bridge though.

Also wondering what Georgian Bay is like in the winter, in and around these parts.

3 hours ago, stoney said:

Is there anyone on here that either has a cottage or family member that does have one on or near Parry Island?

I am wondering if there is access in the winter by sled to the island, what is it like, any local trails, etc....

I do not think there are OFSC trails or maybe even local trails that goes to the island, but maybe I am wrong.

I do see an ATV trail that seems to stop at the swing bridge though.

Also wondering what Georgian Bay is like in the winter, in and around these parts.

Not sure about sledding but why would you want to own a cottage, where you have to pay a lease rate on land each year? That’s my beef with it. All based on mpac assignment values too, which is nuts. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

We have snowmobiled across the sound in the past.

1 hour ago, Strong Farmer said:

Not sure about sledding but why would you want to own a cottage, where you have to pay a lease rate on land each year? That’s my beef with it. All based on mpac assignment values too, which is nuts. 

Not true, land lease is a set amount across the board, not like taxes......which is set until 2032 I believe, then see what happens with the new lease amount.

However, they implemented a tax as well a couple years ago that is based on building value.....tax you will pay anywhere and the land lease works out to be about what we pay a year to own a trailer and camp, so a wash.

Cottage ownership in this area is cheaper based on that of course seeing as you do not own the property, just the building.....

Honestly, not something that I would have ever considered, but......my parents bought it a little while ago as they just love the area, camped at Killbear literally our entire life and one day they tell us they bought a cottage and are stopping camping, surprised us all.

Mom passed in 2019 and now my dad has maybe a month or two to live (hopefully longer and the Dr's are wrong), so the cottage will either need to be sold or one of us takes it and my sisters would love to see one of us still own it......thinking that might be me/us seeing as we want to buy one, but market is nuts, so we see what happens. This one does not check a few of our boxes for a cottage, so thinking we get into it due to the circumstances and see where it takes us in the future based on the market, us, the kids, etc....

Hence why I am asking the question.....personally not a big fan of the PS area at all for sledding and this location is not ideal for that, but will be a great summer cottage at least for now.

There are rumours of the island looking to add a trail network on the island, but I just heard that the other day from one of the neighbours.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, revrnd said:

We have snowmobiled across the sound in the past.

Can you tell me from where to where or point to point?

I imagine GB is not an ideal body of water to be on in the winter based on what I have read in the past, personally never rode on it other than around Collingwood many years ago, and I remember it was very sketchy back than. 

15 minutes ago, stoney said:

Can you tell me from where to where or point to point?

I imagine GB is not an ideal body of water to be on in the winter based on what I have read in the past, personally never rode on it other than around Collingwood many years ago, and I remember it was very sketchy back than. 

It was a short cut from the north end of the fitness trail south to where the tank farm used to be.

3 hours ago, stoney said:

Not true, land lease is a set amount across the board, not like taxes......which is set until 2032 I believe, then see what happens with the new lease amount.

However, they implemented a tax as well a couple years ago that is based on building value.....tax you will pay anywhere and the land lease works out to be about what we pay a year to own a trailer and camp, so a wash.

Cottage ownership in this area is cheaper based on that of course seeing as you do not own the property, just the building.....

Honestly, not something that I would have ever considered, but......my parents bought it a little while ago as they just love the area, camped at Killbear literally our entire life and one day they tell us they bought a cottage and are stopping camping, surprised us all.

Mom passed in 2019 and now my dad has maybe a month or two to live (hopefully longer and the Dr's are wrong), so the cottage will either need to be sold or one of us takes it and my sisters would love to see one of us still own it......thinking that might be me/us seeing as we want to buy one, but market is nuts, so we see what happens. This one does not check a few of our boxes for a cottage, so thinking we get into it due to the circumstances and see where it takes us in the future based on the market, us, the kids, etc....

Hence why I am asking the question.....personally not a big fan of the PS area at all for sledding and this location is not ideal for that, but will be a great summer cottage at least for now.

There are rumours of the island looking to add a trail network on the island, but I just heard that the other day from one of the neighbours.

Nice area for summer time get away no doubt. Boating and fishing around there is amazing. In your case I would take it and enjoy it as much as you can. Family will enjoy it in summer time for sure. 
Sorry for your loss of your mom and hopefully your dad lives a little longer then doctors say. 
My dad died a few years ago from a simple infection that went bad. Always trying to be tough guy, nothing wrong with me attitude. 
I never sledded near there in winter. Quite the maze to get around in boat though. I get dizzy just thinking about it. Worst case have to trailer out for day rides. Imagine parry sound harbour has ice breakers that venture thru every so often too. You would Think during a cold winter might be some safe routines, but I have no idea. 

Not sure of the exact spot on the north shore but it was near the golf course. I remember a little splash across a pressure crack. It was in the early 90s as we were on our was back from Port Loring & I squeaked a piston in my Mach 1. Let's just say it was an interesting trip across the sound.

558501075_ParrySound.JPG.2705c0d18ce9e88f1118b5eafee1b747.JPG 

I'm sure there are other person w/ more timely info on the ice running. On another weekend up there we ran out to Henry's Fish Restaurant. Talk about a zig zag tree line to follow to get out to it. Looking towards the horizon the clouds looked very ominous.

10 hours ago, revrnd said:

Not sure of the exact spot on the north shore but it was near the golf course. I remember a little splash across a pressure crack. It was in the early 90s as we were on our was back from Port Loring & I squeaked a piston in my Mach 1. Let's just say it was an interesting trip across the sound.

I'm sure there are other person w/ more timely info on the ice running. On another weekend up there we ran out to Henry's Fish Restaurant. Talk about a zig zag tree line to follow to get out to it. Looking towards the horizon the clouds looked very ominous.

That route makes sense to me hugging bob’s point. I wouldn’t want to go too Far west on that body of water. Might be safe near north part or island as well, near parry island. I am sure wildbill, will chime in, since he must have some  knowledge of this area. 
I went fishing with a friend of a friend. We left parry sound harbour and went all way around parry’s island. I be lost after first few turns. Henry’s fish restaurant was open but we avoided it with covid. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

16 hours ago, revrnd said:

6 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

That route makes sense to me hugging bob’s point. I wouldn’t want to go too Far west on that body of water. Might be safe near north part or island as well, near parry island. I am sure wildbill, will chime in, since he must have some  knowledge of this area. 

Ya that line is quite a bit East of where I would be.......we would be closer to the lighthouse at Killbear, which from what I understand, that North facing shore on the island is where most of the cottages are.

Looking at an old trail map for the area, trail 210 ends at the swing bridge and C-ALT runs along the shore line closer to Parry Sound.

No trails come into Killbear at all, which I am not surprised, closest trail on that side is near Dillion Rd. 

21 hours ago, stoney said:

If it's not the right place, then as terrible as it sounds, could you not sell it and then put that money towards something where you would like to be?

32 minutes ago, Spiderman said:

If it's not the right place, then as terrible as it sounds, could you not sell it and then put that money towards something where you would like to be?

Sort of what we are thinking, in the short term......

Get into this, see what the market does for cottages in the future and then possibly make a move to a place that we really want in a location we prefer......and if that does not work, we have a Spring, Summer & Fall cottage at least !

Booking camp sites the last couple years has been crazy stupid, party because of Covid, but it was getting bad before that too, unless you did not care what park you went to or did not need a site that fit a larger trailer....so not dealing with that, is not a bad thing either.

And a trailer park is not an option we care to entertain. 

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind, anyone buying a cottage on leased land, usually has tricky banking to navigate. Because the land owner wants to be the first default named on the mortgage......but major banks always want to be the first default .  I know this because myself awhile ago and two of siblings recently bought cottages on leased land. The work around is to have enough equity in your home mortgage to absorb the cottage mortgage, or else you need to work to find outside major banks and find broker willing to risk it but interest will be 4 or 5 times going rate. So if you end up selling your Parry Island inheritance, that is probably what hoops your buyer will need to jump thru. 

2 hours ago, Panther340 said:

One thing to keep in mind, anyone buying a cottage on leased land, usually has tricky banking to navigate. Because the land owner wants to be the first default named on the mortgage......but major banks always want to be the first default .  I know this because myself awhile ago and two of siblings recently bought cottages on leased land. The work around is to have enough equity in your home mortgage to absorb the cottage mortgage, or else you need to work to find outside major banks and find broker willing to risk it but interest will be 4 or 5 times going rate. So if you end up selling your Parry Island inheritance, that is probably what hoops your buyer will need to jump thru. 

If we end up going through with it, we plan to use equity from our home, we have lots of room there, so we should be good......but I know they keep changing the rules with so many people getting too far into debt, so more questions to answers......

Never had any plans to get a mortgage for any cottage we go with, too many other rules to look at to please the banks. 

14 hours ago, Panther340 said:

Good info

Read too many horror stories about leases going up, not being renewed and building then has to be dismantled and taken away. If lease isn’t good for life of building, then I would walk away. 
This happened up in Bruce where they refused to re new lease after like 60 years. So it could happen any where really, if there is a conflict with government and they want to prove a point. 
Also some leased land has access limitations such as no use from thanksgiving to may 1 for example. 
Reminds of all crazy rules at a condo complex, just worse since you don’t own land building sits on. 
lots to consider. 

8 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Read too many horror stories about leases going up, not being renewed and building then has to be dismantled and taken away. If lease isn’t good for life of building, then I would walk away. 
This happened up in Bruce where they refused to re new lease after like 60 years. So it could happen any where really, if there is a conflict with government and they want to prove a point. 
Also some leased land has access limitations such as no use from thanksgiving to may 1 for example. 
Reminds of all crazy rules at a condo complex, just worse since you don’t own land building sits on. 
lots to consider. 

http://wasausinklandsinc.com/about.htm

That’s an eye open with only 11 years left on lease agreements. That would make me nervous. Hate to see you loose your life savings if lease doesn’t get renewed.

For cost of lease and property taxes that would be 6 to 10 weeks of rent depending on where snd time of year. 
good luck! 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Perhaps some risky leases, but my experience and my two siblings leases, All were different land owners in different parts of province. No problems have occurred and a few court cases in early 2000s clarified that land lease agreements are subject to the landlord tenant act including lease rate increases. 

11 minutes ago, Panther340 said:

Perhaps some risky leases, but my experience and my two siblings leases, All were different land owners in different parts of province. No problems have occurred and a few court cases in early 2000s clarified that land lease agreements are subject to the landlord tenant act including lease rate increases. 

Lots of positive and great experiences like you said. Just depends how much risk you are willing to take. One thing if it is a camp and not worth allot. Another thing if it is a nice place and you invested your life savings and time in fixing it up over the years, to have lease not renewed. That would just be heart breaking and stressful. I couldn’t sleep at night, so I avoid it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Lots of positive and great experiences like you said. Just depends how much risk you are willing to take. One thing if it is a camp and not worth allot. Another thing if it is a nice place and you invested your life savings and time in fixing it up over the years, to have lease not renewed. That would just be heart breaking and stressful. I couldn’t sleep at night, so I avoid it. 

My risk factor is as close to 0 as possible.

I personally would not ever invest that kind of $$ into something on leased land - but that's just me. 

I wouldn't lease a car and put 10k worth of upgrades onto it either - only to turn in it 4 years later.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

http://wasausinklandsinc.com/about.htm

That’s an eye open with only 11 years left on lease agreements. That would make me nervous. Hate to see you loose your life savings if lease doesn’t get renewed.

For cost of lease and property taxes that would be 6 to 10 weeks of rent depending on where snd time of year. 
good luck! 

I really wouldn’t worry about dealing with WLI. They have been reasonable to deal with for years. 

Only way I'd do it is if they allowed park models. That way you could easily remove it and retain some value if you sold it, as well as less initial investment 

• Like 1

Our biggest deciding factor is what the fair market value is, than decide if we want to buy my siblings out knowing it’s leased land. 
As much as you could worry about the lease deal, I really don’t think there would be issues, IF anything ever did happen, there’d be a lot of sudden cottage fires going on.....

View ain’t too shabby either!

image.jpg

• Like 1